Help with-the not-so-normal, normal-type gym leader

Yes, i am talking about Noel.

Surely i'm not the only one who had trouble with the kid? Can i please have some help here?

My team:

Terra (Chesnaught)

Ability: Bullet proof

Level: 52

Item: None

Nature: Jolly

Moves:

Seed Bomb

Pain Split

Bite

Hammer Arm

Fleili (Butterfree)

Ability: Tinted Lens

Level: 51

Item: Silver Powder

Nature: Quiet

Moves:

Bug Buzz

Gust

Psybeam

PoisonPowder

Mozilla (Ninetails)

Ability: Drought

Nature: Gentle

Moves:

Flamethrower

Fire Blast

Hex

Extrasensory

Blight (Slurpuff)

Ability: Sweet Veil

Nature: Quirky

Moves:

Draining Kiss

Play Rough

Endeavor

Energy Ball

SeyJune (Pachirisu)

Ability: Volt Absorb

Nature: Lax

Moves:

Discharge

Thunder Wave (Will soon replace with Nuzzle)

Hyper Fang

Super Fang

Airin (Delcatty)

Ability: Cute Charm

Item: Silk Scarf

Nature: Timid

Moves:

Strength

Sing

Double-Edge

Shadow Ball

I know, i know...my team's a mess! That's why i need help-

My Machamp generally saved me for most of the match, I had my starter clean up after. Maybe get Ninetales going in first, so it can do whatever, like with Focus Blast and all that. Use your Poisonpowder, and use items. Items are like, the key thing, Super Potions or whatever.

I'd recommend another fighting type though, whether it's Gurdurr or Machoke/Machamp, the physical prowess of those two are needed to beat Noel.

Hmm... I may be not the best at answering these but I'll have a go:

Chesnaught - Get rid of Pain Split or Bite for Leech Seed.

Butterfree - Sleep Powder is a more convenient option than Poisonpowder

Ninetales - I would get rid of one of Flamethrower/Fire Blast (I would prefer to leave Flamethrower due to 100% accuracy but its your call) and replace with it Will-O-Wisp. Most of Noel's threats use physical moves - so burning them would be crucial. It won't help much in this gym battle but the Will-O-Wisp + Hex combo is pretty decent too

Slurpuff - I'm actually not sure how well this Pokemon does... but if its not that useful, I would use it as a shield (a.k.a send it out when your other Pokemon need to heal) or teach it Fake Tears to support your Ninetales or Pachirisu

Delcatty - Uh... I really would get a replacement Pokemon for this. I actually don't like changing party members myself, but Delcatty is extremely worthless. I would get another Pokemon that can deal with Noel's birds because Pachirisu is an alright Pokemon, but it probably won't be able to handle two birds itself.

Edited by Xiri

Ah, yeah. We get this one a lot.

Well, looking at your team initially I can say that Chesnaught and Ninetails will be very useful for this one. Butterfree should be able do do a bit of work against his Girafarig too. Pachirisu may or may not come in handy against his birds, depends on how well it can take a physical hit. Honestly though I don't see much that Slurpuff or Delcatty can do here.

First thing you want to do is make sure you're leading with Chesnaught. It's difficult to outspeed Cinccino but Chesnaught can take any hit it wants to throw your way with relative ease and OHKO that annoyance with a hammer arm. Ninetails is a bit of a win condition against Noel because his field effect increases the power of your fire type attacks, synergising well with drought and stab for easy OHKOs on the things you outspeed. It also resists fairy which can be useful for his Clefable.

As I do with everyone who is struggling with Noel, I'll recommend Escavalier. This thing is a beast at this point in the game and will clean up a large chunk of his team, or go at least 1 for 1 with one of his flying type threats. It's also very useful for the next 3 gyms after this one. Durant is a similar pokemon who trades out bulk for speed, with a little more power and a little less reliability, also it's nowhere near as good vs the following gym but if he's more your style it's an acceptable alternative.

My Machamp generally saved me for most of the match, I had my starter clean up after. Maybe get Ninetales going in first, so it can do whatever, like with Focus Blast and all that. Use your Poisonpowder, and use items. Items are like, the key thing, Super Potions or whatever.

I'd recommend another fighting type though, whether it's Gurdurr or Machoke/Machamp, the physical prowess of those two are needed to beat Noel.

Ah, yeah. We get this one a lot.

Well, looking at your team initially I can say that Chesnaught and Ninetails will be very useful for this one. Butterfree should be able do do a bit of work against his Girafarig too. Pachirisu may or may not come in handy against his birds, depends on how well it can take a physical hit. Honestly though I don't see much that Slurpuff or Delcatty can do here.

First thing you want to do is make sure you're leading with Chesnaught. It's difficult to outspeed Cinccino but Chesnaught can take any hit it wants to throw your way with relative ease and OHKO that annoyance with a hammer arm. Ninetails is a bit of a win condition against Noel because his field effect increases the power of your fire type attacks, synergising well with drought and stab for easy OHKOs on the things you outspeed. It also resists fairy which can be useful for his Clefable.

As I do with everyone who is struggling with Noel, I'll recommend Escavalier. This thing is a beast at this point in the game and will clean up a large chunk of his team, or go at least 1 for 1 with one of his flying type threats. It's also very useful for the next 3 gyms after this one. Durant is a similar pokemon who trades out bulk for speed, with a little more power and a little less reliability, also it's nowhere near as good vs the following gym but if he's more your style it's an acceptable alternative.

Uh-huh. Sounds good. I'll replace Airin wiiith...Escavalier or Machamp?

I think i'll go with Escavalier just because it's easier to get. Backtrack to Azurine island, right?

Ninetails can learn Focus Blast? Woah. But i don't have that TM.

I usually use Blight for healing other teammates. Blight usually tanks moves really well. She can take 2 steel wings, actually.

Well, i couldn't experiment a lot cause my team is...pretty bad. The furthest i could go in the battle was the Fire Orb Swellow. And SeyJune would faint after one Facade. I don't really know about Staraptor.

Hmm... I may be not the best at answering these but I'll have a go:

Chesnaught - Get rid of Pain Split or Bite for Leech Seed.

Butterfree - Sleep Powder is a more convenient option than Poisonpowder

Ninetales - I would get rid of one of Flamethrower/Fire Blast (I would prefer to leave Flamethrower due to 100% accuracy but its your call) and replace with it Will-O-Wisp. Most of Noel's threats use physical moves - so burning them would be crucial. It won't help much in this gym battle but the Will-O-Wisp + Hex combo is pretty decent too

Slurpuff - I'm actually not sure how well this Pokemon does... but if its not that useful, I would use it as a shield (a.k.a send it out when your other Pokemon need to heal) or teach it Fake Tears to support your Ninetales or Pachirisu

Delcatty - Uh... I really would get a replacement Pokemon for this. I actually don't like changing party members myself, but Delcatty is extremely worthless. I would get another Pokemon that can deal with Noel's birds because Pachirisu is an alright Pokemon, but it probably won't be able to handle two birds itself.

I'll get rid of pain split for leech seed.

But...PoisonPowder helped me out more than SleepPowder. For some reason SleepPowder ALWAYS misses for me. I think i'll just keep PoisonPowder-

I'll get rid of Fire Blast.

^^^^^

As mentioned above, Blight is a tanker.

Escavalier.

Actually, i need a good moveset for Escavalier. Any ideas, guys?

Well i made use of Field Effects in this match. iirc the field effect of the area is the Grassy Field correct?

My main pokemon against Noel was: Ninetales and Arcanine.

It's fairly simple. Lead with Ninetales, summon the sun, and proceed with heat wave on the very first turn. The field should turn into a Burning Field, boosting damage for all Fire-type moves, and all grounded non-Fire pokemon will receive damage over time.

And then just kill off as many pokemon as you can using Ninetales and Arcanine under the sun+Burning Field. It deals a ton of damage, if not OHKO-ing the pokemon.

Suggested moves for Ninetales:

>Heat Wave

>Will-O-Wisp* (100% accuracy under Burning Field, cuts opponent's damage to half)

>Nasty Plot* (Makes Heat Wave very painful)

>(Filler)

Arcanine... as long as you dont evolve it immediately, you should have a similar moveset on this guy:

>Extremespeed*

>Crunch (Gets his Girafarig well)

>Flare Blitz (very painful in sun, let alone sun AND burning terrain)

>Outrage

* are moves you can obtain from the Move Relearner. I dont' think you can relearn Heat Wave on Ninetales, unfortunately.

Heat wave is crucial if you plan to use this tactic though.

JUST BE WARY: THE GRASSY FIELD DOES NOT TURN INTO A BURNING FIELD IF YOU LEAD DROUGHT NINETALES INTO RAIN. IT WILL FORM A RAINBOW FIELD INSTEAD, AND BENEFITS NOEL GREATLY. (sorry for caps, emphasis is needed here though)

EDIT. (ofc you posted before I did. Oh well XD)

Escavalier huh? My recommended moveset would be:

>Swords Dance (learnt at level 52)

>X-Scissors (Lv 44)

>Iron Head (Lv 37)

aaaaaand filler of your choice. For me its between Giga Impact (Lv 56) and Reversal (Lv 49) I'd prefer Reversal myself over Giga Impact.

Edited by Reeveelution

But Cinccino is naturally much faster than Ninetails and has skill link rock blast. How on earth did that work?

Anyway, as for an Escavalier moveset, I used x-scissor, iron head, swords dance, and double edge, but iron defence can come in handy too. Additionally it can learn megahorn by breeding with a Scolipede if you're into breeding for moves.

Well i made use of Field Effects in this match. iirc the field effect of the area is the Grassy Field correct?

My main pokemon against Noel was: Ninetales and Arcanine.

It's fairly simple. Lead with Ninetales, summon the sun, and proceed with heat wave on the very first turn. The field should turn into a Burning Field, boosting damage for all Fire-type moves, and all grounded non-Fire pokemon will receive damage over time.

And then just kill off as many pokemon as you can using Ninetales and Arcanine under the sun+Burning Field. It deals a ton of damage, if not OHKO-ing the pokemon.

Suggested moves for Ninetales:

Heat Wave

Will-O-Wisp* (100% accuracy under Burning Field, cuts opponent's damage to half)

Nasty Plot* (Makes Heat Wave very painful)

(Filler)

Arcanine... as long as you dont evolve it immediately, you should have a similar moveset on this guy:

Extremespeed*

Crunch (Gets his Girafarig well)

Flare Blitz (very painful in sun, let alone sun AND burning terrain)

Outrage

* are moves you can obtain from the Move Relearner. I dont' think you can relearn Heat Wave on Ninetales, unfortunately.

Heat wave is crucial if you plan to use this tactic though.

JUST BE WARY: THE GRASSY FIELD DOES NOT TURN INTO A BURNING FIELD IF YOU LEAD DROUGHT NINETALES INTO RAIN. IT WILL FORM A RAINBOW FIELD INSTEAD, AND BENEFITS NOEL GREATLY. (sorry for caps, emphasize is needed here though)

Ofc, its only a suggestion. As for your pokemon, i'd suggest:

Chesnaught to replace Pain Split/Bite with Leech Seed.

Butterfree to replace Poison Powder with Sleep Powder.

That's all i can suggest as improvements for your team. Afraid you might need to get another Ninetales (via breeding) if you want one with Heat Wave.

Oh, dang. Breed another Ninetails? I don't think i'm up for that. Can i make Mozilla relearn Flame Burst, though?

This is the moveset i have in mind for her:

Flame Burst

Flamethrower

Will-O-Wisp

Hex

And yes, I will change this moveset for a better one after the battle with Noel.

Uhm. Is there any other way i can get a Growlithe? I traded the one i got from the police chief man guy for the other cop- (oh do i regret doing that!)

Edit:

Mozilla's moveset:

Flame Burst

Flamethrower

Will-O-Wisp

Nasty Plot

Edited by The unintelligent GamerGal

Ninetails can learn Focus Blast? Woah. But i don't have that TM.

I usually use Blight for healing other teammates. Blight usually tanks moves really well. She can take 2 steel wings, actually.

I'll get rid of pain split for leech seed.

But...PoisonPowder helped me out more than SleepPowder. For some reason SleepPowder ALWAYS misses for me. I think i'll just keep PoisonPowder-

I'll get rid of Fire Blast.

^^^^^

As mentioned above, Blight is a tanker.

Escavalier.

Actually, i need a good moveset for Escavalier. Any ideas, guys?

I think Mockingbird misread Fire Blast as Focus Blast.

But Cinccino is naturally much faster than Ninetails and has skill link rock blast. How on earth did that work?

Anyway, as for an Escavalier moveset, I used x-scissor, iron head, swords dance, and double edge, but iron defence can come in handy too. Additionally it can learn megahorn by breeding with a Scolipede if you're into breeding for moves.

I'm guessing he was lucky... because I noticed that sometimes the opponent uses some attacks at extremely weird times. For example, the Cinccino attacked me with Bullet Seed against my Charizard :o... which I found pretty amusing (it didn't happen often though. The consecutive times, he used Rock Blast)

Oh, dang. Breed another Ninetails? I don't think i'm up for that. Can i make Mozilla relearn Flame Burst, though?

This is the moveset i have in mind for her:

Flame Burst

Flamethrower

Will-O-Wisp

Hex

And yes, I will change this moveset for a better one after the battle with Noel.

Uhm. Is there any other way i can get a Growlithe? I traded the one i got from the police chief man guy for the other cop- (oh do i regret doing that!)

Edit:

Mozilla's moveset:

Flame Burst

Flamethrower

Will-O-Wisp

Nasty Plot

Unfortunately, I don't think there is another way to Growlithe. Nor, re-teach Flame Burst to your Ninetales. The only option would be to breed another Vulpix :(

Terra will take out Cinccino. Trust me. I've experimented.

Escavalier will be a temporary member- Cause' I have a soft spot for Skitties and Delcatties. Personal reasons. So i probs won't be breeding for Megahorn.

For Escavalier:

X-Scissors (level 44)

Iron Head (level 37)

Swords Dance (level 52) --- 50 was the level-cap right? but you can always use common candies to bring it back down

Reversal (Level 49) / Iron Defence (Level 40)

Theese are just Level-Up moves.

since I don't know what TMs you got and how breeding Escavalier works (never did and since Karrablast normally needs a Shelmet trade to evolve... is a Linkstone enough??)

X-Scissors and Iron-Head for STAB against Girafarig(X-Scissors) and Clefable (Iron Head)

Swords Dance to hit harder obviously

Reversal as a fighting move for coverage against his normal types or Iron Defence to strengthen his bulkiness...

be carefull of Staraptors Close Combat though... it technically one hitted my Aggron after 3 Iron Defence ( which equals maximum defence)... but it survived only because of sturdy

If possible give it a Quick Claw so it may outspeed something because it is slow as hell

and maybe give your other Pokemon items to hold aswell... as I see half your team doesn't carry items

Edit:

wow... there I am talking, like 5 minutes, to my roommate while typing... and bam! so many comments... -.-

Edited by Cepheus

I think Mockingbird misread Fire Blast as Focus Blast.

I'm guessing he was lucky... because I noticed that sometimes the opponent uses some attacks at extremely weird times. For example, the Cinccino attacked me with Bullet Seed against my Charizard :o... which I found pretty amusing (it didn't happen often though. The consecutive times, he used Rock Blast)

Unfortunately, I don't think there is another way to Growlithe. Nor, re-teach Flame Burst to your Ninetales. The only option would be to breed another Vulpix :(

Uhm...Move-Relearner? I'll just have to mine and catch some Luvdiscs for Heart Scales. Or...

For Escavalier:

X-Scissors (level 44)

Iron Head (level 37)

Swords Dance (level 52) --- 50 was the level-cap right? but you can always use common candies to bring it back down

Reversal (Level 49) / Iron Defence (Level 40)

Theese are just Level-Up moves.

since I don't know what TMs you got and how breeding Escavalier works (never did and since Karrablast normally needs a Shelmet trade to evolve... is a Linkstone enough??)

X-Scissors and Iron-Head for STAB against Girafarig(X-Scissors) and Clefable (Iron Head)

Swords Dance to hit harder obviously

Reversal as a fighting move for coverage against his normal types or Iron Defence to strengthen his bulkiness...

be carefull of Staraptors Close Combat though... it technically one hitted my Aggron after 3 Iron Defence ( which equals maximum defence)... but it survived only because of sturdy

If possible give it a Quick Claw so it may outspeed something because it is slow as hell

and maybe give your other Pokemon items to hold aswell... as I see half your team doesn't carry items

Edit:

wow... there I am talking, like 5 minutes, to my roommate while typing... and bam! so many comments... -.-

Oh thanks! This moveset looks better. I'll go with this one.

Buuut, where do you get a quick claw?

I'm pretty sure it's in the department store, but it shouldn't really make a difference what you put on it

Department store...got it! Thanks for the help! I'll pick it up while backtracking to Azurine Island. . . or maybe i'll just use up all my money for super repels

Sorry to say it but 2 of your Pokemon are considered bad (in general not only against Noel) namely Butterfree and Delcatty so idk maybe you should replace them and Ninetales is useful only on a sun team (Grass and Fire Pokemon). As for Noel if you want to burn the field try to use Camerupt (catch and train a Numel) it should resist at least one Rock Blast from Cinccino and you can also try Aggron (like someone above said it's useful for this fight) just remember to not send him against Staraptor (that Close Combat).

Uhm...Move-Relearner? I'll just have to mine and catch some Luvdiscs for Heart Scales. Or...

I've already told you about double posting before. Please don't do it.

Anyway, don't worry too much about close combat against Escavalier. It's only neutral not super effective.

Sorry to say it but 2 of your Pokemon are considered bad (in general not only against Noel) namely Butterfree and Delcatty so idk maybe you should replace them and Ninetales is useful only on a sun team (Grass and Fire Pokemon). As for Noel if you want to burn the field try to use Camerupt (catch and train a Numel) it should resist at least one Rock Blast from Cinccino and you can also try Aggron (like someone above said it's useful for this fight) just remember to not send him against Staraptor (that Close Combat).

Yes, i am aware of that but. I was thinking of getting rid of Fleili but...psychic types. And Ailin is actually a good Pokemon. I'm sorry but i can't replace them. I have a Numel in my box somewhere...Any idea where you can get an Aron?

I've already told you about double posting before. Please don't do it.

Anyway, don't worry too much about close combat against Escavalier. It's only neutral not super effective.

Oh, dang. I hadn't realized. I'm so sorry!

And, I've raised an Escavalier in White before. So i know its weaknesses. Thanks for telling me though. I appreciate the help.

#Late, but I bred Vulpix early on and got mine Timid (-att +speed). I also did a certain degree of ev training (butitdoesindeedgetboringsoo...bleh) anyways I can't remember the exact details afterwards, but my Ninetales outsped it and OHKO-ed it (cause Sun+STAB+Field Change Bonus).

Edit:

You can get Aron in the underground Railnet, at the map where you need to switch the rails and connect it East, you can optionally connect the rails West and it will lead you to a really dark place (Y Reborn haz no Flash?! QAQ).

>Here you can do two things:

1) Rescue a guy who will reward you back in Obsidia a Sticker for the department store

2) Go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down at the bottom (just follow the stairway~) and you'll find the remaining, unoperational trains. One of these poles down here is headbutt-able. Headbutting this pole give you Aron.

Edited by Reeveelution

#Late, but I bred Vulpix early on and got mine Timid (-att +speed). I also did a certain degree of ev training (butitdoesindeedgetboringsoo...bleh) anyways I can't remember the exact details afterwards, but my Ninetales outsped it and OHKO-ed it (cause Sun+STAB+Field Change Bonus).

Edit:

You can get Aron in the underground Railnet, at the map where you need to switch the rails and connect it East, you can optionally connect the rails West and it will lead you to a really dark place (Y Reborn haz no Flash?! QAQ).

>Here you can do two things:

1) Rescue a guy who will reward you back in Obsidia a Sticker for the department store

2) Go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down at the bottom (just follow the stairway~) and you'll find the remaining, unoperational trains. One of these poles down here is headbutt-able. Headbutting this pole give you Aron.

Oh! Thanks! Now i'll just have to see if this all works.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Wow you guys really wrote so much stuff to help this guy out :D

There are 2 main things you need to do:

1. Replace Butterfree and Delcatty with something else..anything. They are terribad...

2. Do NOT remove any status moves from any of your pokemon, you have to use statuses to beat the gym leaders. You can get another electric type with thunder wave (magneton with sturdy) so you can lock his clefable which is the most annoying of his pokemon. I personally dealt with the normal types with my gallade (heart scale close combat = op) and i used magneton for his 2 birds (i sacked one of my pokemon so i could heal him up to use sturdy again). Other than that you really have to make a plan for the whole fight and have good luck with crits/will'o'wisps not missing etc.

Edit: You're a girl haha, oh well you still get my point :D

Edited by drakonpaul

Wow you guys really wrote so much stuff to help this guy out :D

There are 2 main things you need to do:

1. Replace Butterfree and Delcatty with something else..anything. They are terribad...

2. Do NOT remove any status moves from any of your pokemon, you have to use statuses to beat the gym leaders. You can get another electric type with thunder wave (magneton with sturdy) so you can lock his clefable which is the most annoying of his pokemon. I personally dealt with the normal types with my gallade (heart scale close combat = op) and i used magneton for his 2 birds (i sacked one of my pokemon so i could heal him up to use sturdy again). Other than that you really have to make a plan for the whole fight and have good luck with crits/will'o'wisps not missing etc.

Edit: You're a girl haha, oh well you still get my point :D

But isn't Butterfree for Giraffig, though?

But isn't Butterfree for Giraffig, though?

If Bug Buzz is the only move you have to hit it super effective with, then keep it what can i say...You can also go rescue that scraggy and get yourself a powerful scrafty that literally sh*ts on his team (except for the birds of course) with hi jump kick and crunch.

Edited by drakonpaul

If Bug Buzz is the only move you have to hit it super effective with, then keep it what can i say...You can also go rescue that scraggy and get yourself a powerful scrafty that literally sh*ts on his team (except for the birds of course) with hi jump kick and crunch.

Oh yes. I've been thinking about Scrafty for a while now. I think i'll consider it.

Hmm nope. I just went to the Bulbapedia website and the only moves it can learn via the move-relearner are Imprison, Nasty Plot (which is a move you might consider), Flamethrower, Quick Attack, Confuse Ray and Safeguard. No Flame Burst there unfortunately...

Hmm nope. I just went to the Bulbapedia website and the only moves it can learn via the move-relearner are Imprison, Nasty Plot (which is a move you might consider), Flamethrower, Quick Attack, Confuse Ray and Safeguard. No Flame Burst there unfortunately...

Oh dang...now that ain't good...maybe i do have to do breeding after all...s'okay, if it means continuing my favourite fan-made Pokemon game then so be it!

Thanks for letting me know!