Makuhita - Guts, Think Fat, or Sheer Force?

Lostelle

I was thinking about using a Makuhita in my next playthrough, and I'm not sure what's the best ability. I know Thick Fat would come helpful a LOT later on, but Sheer Force and Guts are definitely good to have.

Thoughts?

*currently @ Noel, can't beat him, but every other playthrough I beat him first time every time..

fml

Edited by Lostelle

Personally I would go with thick fat, Hariyama doesn't have enough moves with extra effects to make sheer force effective. Guts is a good ability too, but its situational not all fights are going to have you statused. Yes you can get the toxic orb or burn yourelf on slugmas/macargos but this leads to a second problem Hariyamas speed. Hariyama is pretty slow with a base speed of 50 and except for fakeout does not get any other form of priority naturally. Most likely Hariyama is going to take a hit kill that pokemon and die to the next one and besides i've used guts Swellow in a reborn playthrough before it becomes annoying to get it purposely statused the farther you get from Pyrous Mountain. Overall I would go with thick fat, it lets Hariyama stay in longer and deal more damage but go for guts if you want that on pokemon to die or if you breed bullet punch on it.

Probably guts early on or sheer fotce because by the time thick fat become handy u may switch out I because I had one but pangoro is way better or scraggy with the stones know open gallade lol there is alot of better fighting types open in game

I know for a fact I want to use Haryama, I've never used one before.

Personally I would go with thick fat, Hariyama doesn't have enough moves with extra effects to make sheer force effective. Guts is a good ability too, but its situational not all fights are going to have you statused. Yes you can get the toxic orb or burn yourelf on slugmas/macargos but this leads to a second problem Hariyamas speed. Hariyama is pretty slow with a base speed of 50 and except for fakeout does not get any other form of priority naturally. Most likely Hariyama is going to take a hit kill that pokemon and die to the next one and besides i've used guts Swellow in a reborn playthrough before it becomes annoying to get it purposely statused the farther you get from Pyrous Mountain. Overall I would go with thick fat, it lets Hariyama stay in longer and deal more damage but go for guts if you want that on pokemon to die or if you breed bullet punch on it.

Thanks, I did catch a Thick Fat one, Sassy nature. Not the best, but definitely decent.

Not Guts. Status conditions that works with "properly" without hindering you too much are Poison and Burn which is even harder to be inflicted with than Po, and how often have we seen those?

Whether you go for Sheer Force or Thick Fat entirely depends on what you want it for. It's not that good in the long run, but it destroys Florinia's Cradily, against which I go with Sheer Force. I assume Hariyama could also be quite good against Serra, where Thick Fat would be the better ability to have.

Not Guts. Status conditions that works with "properly" without hindering you too much are Poison and Burn which is even harder to be inflicted with than Po, and how often have we seen those?

Whether you go for Sheer Force or Thick Fat entirely depends on what you want it for. It's not that good in the long run, but it destroys Florinia's Cradily, against which I go with Sheer Force. I assume Hariyama could also be quite good against Serra, where Thick Fat would be the better ability to have.

I'm really trying to use underused things. I did want to use Vulpix but I was not aware the mechanics of getting one has changed, (fkn klinklang) so I decided to use something else for a bit.

If you want to use underused utility pokes get bannete or wobufet

(I never hear people talking about these)

Wobbuffet is painful to train and requires prediction to use, which is likely why no one bothers to use it.

As for Banette, I've seen a handful of people use it in Reborn, so I don't know what you're on about. uwu

@Topic: I would go Thick Fat, if only because I think the only thing Hariyama gets that's boosted by Sheer Force is Force Palm. I'm probably wrong on that front, but hey.

And the Klinklang is beatable before Rini- I did it on my latest playthrough. It requires a painful amount of planning and a lot of luck, though, so I wouldn't advise it.

(If you're curious, my method involved a Lightningrod Plusle, a very sturdy Pachirisu and Leech Seed.)

If you want to use underused utility pokes get bannete or wobufet

(I never hear people talking about these)

Wobbufet would not be worth the effort it takes to train

I actually have used banette before and I even wrote a review for it on the tier list thread that has disappeared from the face of the earth, its not very good. Its move pool kind of blows, it only gets shadow sneak and sucker punch it can also use shadow ball but it has a much lower base sp atk. Its only good for burning, cursing things, and occasionally revenge killing which most ghost types can do anyway.

Talking about underused why does nobody use Tangrowth? That thing is a beast and ,makes an awesome physical wall and its even better now that it gets regenerator and isn't rare anymore no seriously why no love for Tangrwth?

Wobbuffet is painful to train and requires prediction to use, which is likely why no one bothers to use it.

As for Banette, I've seen a handful of people use it in Reborn, so I don't know what you're on about. uwu

@Topic: I would go Thick Fat, if only because I think the only thing Hariyama gets that's boosted by Sheer Force is Force Palm. I'm probably wrong on that front, but hey.

And the Klinklang is beatable before Rini- I did it on my latest playthrough. It requires a painful amount of planning and a lot of luck, though, so I wouldn't advise it.

(If you're curious, my method involved a Lightningrod Plusle, a very sturdy Pachirisu and Leech Seed.)

I did as well, but didn't get Drought, so I didn't bother resetting and beating the thing again.

I lead with a Glameow, used Fake Out, had to rely on it missing a move, or using automotize, which it did. Then, I hit with hyponosis.

Then I switched to (previous evo of greninja) and water pulse confused it, then switched to haryama and proceeded to vital throw.

It did require like 3 times of it hitting itself, but still. :P

In X&Y I use AV Guts Hariyama, so if I get burnt I get a supercharged Close Combat/Knock off. It's pretty amazing, I suggest you try the same

EDIT:

Not many of Makuhita/Hariyama's non Elemental Punch moves even get a Sheer force boost, so it's a pretty redundant ability for it imo

In X&Y I use AV Guts Hariyama, so if I get burnt I get a supercharged Close Combat/Knock off. It's pretty amazing, I suggest you try the same

EDIT:

Not many of Makuhita/Hariyama's non Elemental Punch moves even get a Sheer force boost, so it's a pretty redundant ability for it imo

The number of times we've seen foes use burning moves can be counted on one hand.