monotype help

greninjagang

Mono-Psychic's got a nice collection of tricks up its sleeves, making it a nice Type if you prefer to play cleverly.

Mono-Dark has a number of ways to to restrict and impair the enemy if you prefer giving foes as tough a time as possible, though it can just easily work with shows of overwhelming power- having access to several Moxie users and the better of the two Protean 'mons available to the player makes sure of that.

Mono-Bug's a classic, but for good reason. What was once a difficult Type to work with has been getting only better and better since Gen. 5, and the early evolution levels of the "early game trash" can help out a bit early on due to their then-superior BSTs. It's also the only Type with access to the Reborn All-Star that is krikitune, which might just be a big deal.

Mono-Electric's one real weak spot in regards to following the perfect decision path in this game has recently had a couple countermeasures discovered and documented, so don't worry too much if you choose to go down this path. Show the world the might of the Type with just one Weakness with impunity!

That's just a few outlooks available for certain Types. Really, every Type has a means of working out pretty well by the endgame, so the only way to go wrong would be to choose a Type with very, very few pokemon available for the early game (*cough* Dragon *cough*). This thread is a particularly good resource for planning out your team a bit, so be sure to check it out if you ultimately do decide to do a MonoType run.

Honestly of all the Monoruns I've done, Fairy mono was the most enjoyable for me.

I'd never really played with fairies before, but it's a great typing, especially defensive. Misty Terrain is good also.

Primarina, which I had never used before, became one of my favourite starters, a really good mon... and Clefable man, Clefable.

I've also just finished a Fairy mono, and it was quite enjoyable. The beginning is tough because of your limited selection (I struggled a lot with Florinia) but after that it picks up and is pretty smooth sailing, bar a couple of fights (for me at least).

Have previously done a Steel mono, which also worked out pretty well.

I made my choices because I like those types (and because Mawile is both!). You could go for a type you really like overall, or a type that a Pokémon you really like has, or do a curve ball and use a type you don't often use. A monotype run is a great way to find appreciation for Pokémon you've never used before. For example Quiver Dance Wormadam in the early game of my Steel run, or Belly Drum Unburden Swirlix throughout the Fairy run.

I'm thinking of doing a Dark or Fighting monorun next, cause Scrafty is baller. Or maybe flying! Has tons of options at the start, ez cheese with Prankster Perish Song Murkrow, and other cool stuff.

• Thanks 1

@doombotmecha I caught a few of Burmys and had the luck to get HP Flying on my second or third Wormadam (neutral damage against Ferroseed). Looked at my recording just now, and Maractus can't really do anything to Wormadam so I just set up 6 quiver dances and swept her whole team. Ferroseed lived one hit and used that turn to set up Sandstorm. Levelled up to 26 during the fight, learning Mirror Shot which I used on Cradily.

Not sure how much super effective hits matter on the rest of her team. But Steel hits everything neutrally except Ferroseed (and is super effective against Cottonee and Cradily), so if you get close to 26 before the fight so you hit that after Maractus you can probably oneshot stuff with STAB Mirror Shot instead of spamming HP. I.e, you probably don't have to hunt for a good HP on Wormadam. Especially if you set up Stealth Rocks with Onix. This is going a bit past just dealing with Ferroseed, but it seemed relevant to the HP typing topic, so hey! If you wanna chat strats or anything else hit me up.

Video of my fight: 

Spoiler

Here's Azery's Flobot fight from his Monosteel. Looks like he has HP Steel on his Wormadam lol

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

@Nicocchi oh man, that's super helpful, thanks! I honestly believed that Wormadam somehow got QD much later than that. The idea of a Quiver Dance sweeper in early reborn is almost enough to make me drop my current run right now!

...almost. I struggled with keeping a run long enough to get out of reborn city for *years*, so I'm gonna try and take this one all the way to the end. Anyway, thanks again. I'll be sure to swing by if I have more questions.

i speak from experience when i say Ice is fun. but the earlygame is a nightmare. iirc the "Password" stuff coming in the final ep mitigates the RNG of gift eggs and whatnot to restrict it to your chosen type. and you get early rock + ice pokes anyway.

if you want to try it out as it is now though be my guest. just remember you'll only have 2 pokemon for Florina (1 if you decide not to take an ice starter) 

the main takeaways from my run i got were, 1. Rotom-F is fantastic in doubles especially on factory and water surface fields 2. Mirror Coat earlygame is incredible and 3. sometimes the most unexpected pokemon are the ones that end up being your best friend.

isnt that right doublescoop

1c15104d1742831b530974575c170f8e0959710e

• 4 weeks later...

Monoflying for the win!

The early game can be a little tough. Choosing a starter is tricky too because Rowlet is the only Flying starter but it loses the typing in its final evolution. That being said, Charizard is a flying type so I think its fair to choose Charmander and level him up through.

Additionally, early game you can pick up a Hoothoot. Obviously not the best, but it gets the job done. Pick up a scatterbug for Vivillon and utterly wreck any single battle quiver dance/Hurricane for the late game. You can also grab yourself a Pidove. Don't actually use it, instead trade it for Old Amber in the mid game to get yourself and Aerodactyl. Togepi for Togetic (Spritzee for the early game from that event). You can also get yourself a Noibat or Swoobat. (Swoobat is actually really good early game as much as it pains me to say). Additionally you'll get access to Dragonite so theres a beast for you. Not to mention Hawlucha near the circus is a wreckingball with acrobatics. Altaria can be a good tank for you too. All in all its such a versatile type to use with some AMAZING mons.