Pokemon Switch?

leo_the_greatest

So long story short I've been playing Pokemon for like 15 years and I'm still very interested in the franchise, cool.

However, I've found the last two games (SM & USUM) to be absolutely awful. I understand that these are children's games, but at this point they require zero effort in any aspect aside from mashing the buttons to get through the cut-scenes, not to mention how horrible the writing has been. I'm not sure if it's the cringe-factor of Team Skull, the Rotom Dex which never stops talking and flashing, or the fact that it's basically the same game but with a handful of new less-than-desirable features, but I can't even bear to play through Ultra Sun to reach the post-game which I've heard is acceptable. This is not to say that the older games were truly difficult or that their writing was amazing, because neither of those is particularly true, but they just seemed to be more creative and entertaining to play. 

Anyways, I'm sure most of you have heard that the next Pokemon games will be released on the Nintendo Switch, and I was wondering if you think they will try to "switch it up" or continue their spiral of decay? I think there are a few basic ideas that could breathe some life into new games such as difficulty levels, more depth of content, and continuity from past generations. Fan games like Reborn and Rejuvenation will always be there to do what the main series can't (even then the Pokemon Company tries to shut projects like this down), but its depressing to a franchise fall so far from its former glory.

But those are just my thoughts, feel free to discuss your thoughts or perspective on the situation as well as to share any ideas you may have.

I honestly don't understand the negativity toward gen 7. If you ask me (and more people) they are some of the best games of the whole series, but that's not what we're on about here.

For the Switch game, I'm thinking it will be more of the "spiral of decay" (which I also heavily disagree with, but that's just me) with the old-school Nintendo focus on fun over challenge and story. Because why fix what isn't Broken? And before you say "But it is broken. I found gen 7 horrible and it shouldn't keep going this path.", keep in mind that for you it is broken, but for others (I'm assuming most people playing) it is far from broken.

Completely agree. I felt robbed after I've completed my Sun version. I've quit watching horror movies but felt like I've relapsed. Oh and there isn't a force strong enough out there that can make me buy Ultra Sun/Moon.

Switch Pokemon has to be big. Take a look at the Zelda game. They kept the good stuff and expanded really well. I'm thinking that the same may happen with Pokemon. Just think about how big the region will be (or more than one) with so many options over the internet. Hell, I'm hoping it will contain the good stuff from the good old Pokemon Stadium. If the Pokemon Switch goes big, it may actually make me buy one. Man it better be so spicy that it hurts when you poop afterwards.

On 2/28/2018 at 2:47 PM, Wolfox said:

I honestly don't understand the negativity toward gen 7. If you ask me (and more people) they are some of the best games of the whole series, but that's not what we're on about here.

For the Switch game, I'm thinking it will be more of the "spiral of decay" (which I also heavily disagree with, but that's just me) with the old-school Nintendo focus on fun over challenge and story. Because why fix what isn't Broken? And before you say "But it is broken. I found gen 7 horrible and it shouldn't keep going this path.", keep in mind that for you it is broken, but for others (I'm assuming most people playing) it is far from broken.

I'm sorry, but if there is no challenge or story, what is the point of playing a strategy game with a linear story? What other way is there to have fun? It's not like they offer local multi-player or any physical interaction like with Wii Sports. I'm not trying to be rude, but I just don't see the appeal.

And that's exactly the point - Nintendo, GameFreak, the Pokemon Company, etc. are able to rely solely on nostalgia and name recognition to sell their games which allows them to put little effort into something and still sell millions of copies. Take Pokemon Go for example. It had 1/10th of the original promised features (it still lacks most almost 2 years later), but they relied solely on hype and name recognition to generate revenue before they realized they messed up when they lost 90% of their player base about a month after release and had to actually work to try and gain back players.

I expect nothing to change because of my opinion because they're getting exactly what they want out of their efforts. They think that improved graphics and flashy colors will sell more than good writing, and they're probably right because children are their target audience, but I still don't have to like it.

well, if you want to play a strategy game why are you playing Pokémon, to begin with? It doesn't exactly fall into the strategy RPG Genre outside of conquest :/ If you really want to get challenged by a strategy game, Xcom should be the game franchise for you.

And if they relied only on nostalgia they would just release Red Green Blue and Yellow over and over again. Which they don't, they rely on the FORMULA they set up early but keep trying to improve upon it in one way or another with each new release. Was gen 7 perfect? No, it wasn't. But why should it be? I mean, how many "perfect" games are there in general? about an even 0.

And, as I said earlier, Just because the formula doesn't work for YOU, doesn't mean it doesn't work in general. Do you really think pure 100% Nostalgia sells that well? If you do you might reconsider your outlook on the gaming market