I can't touch the Steelix

CoolTrainerGary

So I'm at the point where you face "Pokemon Gargantum" and my team is

Lvl 41 Shellos (Only raisin to lvl 46 so I can breed with a Wooper to learn Recover)

lvl 43Growlithe, which steelix outspeeds and KOs with any move

lvl 57 Gyarados, an Aqual Tail does about a quarter of its health but thats if he doesnt ignore orders/miss

lvl 47 Infernape, Close Combat does a quarter of its health

lvl 46 Persian, Can do .001% of its health with a swift

lvl 33 Clefairy, lol

what do I do

Edited by nasserthemaster

Aqual Tail

That takes me back.

Anyway, to answer your question, looking at your team I'd say you're going to need some new pokemon. The Steelix isn't actually all that hard to beat, all you need to do is hit it with some super effective special moves. Of which your current team seems to be lacking. Level your Growlithe up a couple of levels so it learns flare blitz and then evolve it with the fire stone found at the bottom of Pyrous mountain. Assuming you can get out of where you are of course. Otherwise think water moves.

do you have anything that you can replace the clefairy with, since its a fairy now and fairies are week to steel ( dont get why) id say a ground type to be honest) also let shellos evolve and reteach it mud bomb (via move tutor) and yes get growlith to learn fire blast and make it evolve.

if you dont want to do that the only other option is to use comon candies to get garydos below level 50 so it'll obay you

Edited by sandy

If I recall correctly he cannot leave util that steelix is defeated...

There is however a recovery station. which should be used to grind a bit to level up your pokemon.

A good thing to know where the moves of your team:

Shellos should know:

Muddy Water

Mud Bomb

Recover (after leveling up)

Rain Dance / Body Slam / Hidden Power

after learning Recover let it evolve.

ninja-edit:

Muddy Water is your best friend here! It should deal the most damage and reduce it's accuracy, however you should get Gastrodon first for a stronger attack.

(No one saw that I mistakenly said that Mud Bomb should do 4x damage to a Steel/ground Type... right?^^)

As others said: Arcanine with Flare Blitz should also help a lot.

Infernapes Close Combat is also great.

Your team is actually pretty good... when 4 of your Pokemon deal ~ 1/4 health as damage you are fine.

Persian and Clefairy are useless here... if they have any stat-reducing moves thats all they are good for here... or as fodder while you heal up another

Edited by Cepheus

Don´t you have other Pokemon in the Box. If you lose to the Steelix than next to the Recovery Station appears a PC where you could get your boxed Pokemon (for whatever reason it isn´t there before).

Edited by Yazmat

ARGS!

Yeah... you're right... damn... WHY do I always see steelix as a Steel/Rock type? when it's clearly Steel/Ground?? GAH!

EVERY! DAMN! TIME!

I'll just go in shame... and edit that post xD

wait... theres a PC down there after Steelix?? wow... never realised that

Edited by Cepheus

If I remember correctly, he cannot leave the Underground. Meaning he has to take it down with this team.

If I recall correctly he cannot leave util that steelix is defeated...

I was about to say...

Ninja'd by a Sheep.

Looks like I ninja'd a ninja.

obama-not-bad.jpeg

wait... theres a PC down there after Steelix?? wow... never realised that

Well normaly People don´t lose to Steelix or restart immediatly. Also I think he still wouldn´t realise it because since Ep 12 the area with the recovery station is a Flash area

Alternative option;

Stop playing and sulk.

No, but what everyone said, you can count on Infernape/Gyarados/Shellos to take a hit from it or outspeed it and proceed to whack it to death.

If your Growlithe has Intimidate, you can play the switch-intimidate trick on it to nerf the Steelix' attack stat? (If Clerfairy isn't gonna do anything, you might as well sacrifice it to get 2 Intimidates off, right?)

infernape is the key here im assuming he's still got some decent fire moves that should come in handy also, so if you have any caros/iron lieing around use them on growlith/shellos and infernape that will also help (unsure what the equivelents are for wings tho)

edit: by any chance dose infernape know flareblitz? it can be move toutered from the start so you dont have tto wait till 68 to get it. my reasoning being that even tho both close combat and flare blitz have the same base dmg and get a stab flare blitz dosen't reduce your stats like close combat but it dose have recoil which in my opinion would be better for this situation.

glutton tag? you havent forgotten that garygos is too high a level for him to control have you? with pokemon that obay you only 1/4 of the orders given by the trainer result in a attack even then it my just use a completely different attack all together

Edited by sandy

You're team is VERY underleveled outside of Gyarados, which you've made a Physical Attack. Just gotta hit him with Special Attacks. If you can get a pokemon with a decent special attack and a decent fire/water move you're good.

if i remember correctly the level cap at that point is level 50 so i dont think so if im wright garydos is over leveled

No Noel gives you the 7th badge. The FAQ states the 7th badge gives you to Level 60.

Additionally check out Nickaboo's part 37 of the walkthough he clearly has pokemon over level 50 obeying him in the Steelix fight.

oh yeh i remember now, my team were about the 50s at that point sorry

I was SO close, I had it down to 1/8 of its health left and it critted my gastrodon with a crunch (my gastro lived the crunches from previous battles) so that cause me to lose. I also caught a Dugtrio down there and that also helped but I still havent beaten this dickwad.