What is the current main religion in Reborn?

Infinix

Since the lunatics that worshiped Arceus were labeled cultists, it took that choice out of the equation.

Judging by how a few NPCs responded, it looks like some are atheists or at least agnostics but it isn't made clear on what the standard is in Reborn. I could imagine Rebornians as I would like to call the citizens of Reborn having at least some theistic/deistic beliefs before the calamity of Reborn. I find it hard to believe that they were just a naturally atheist society so I have a few guesses

either

1) All traces of religions and holy books were erased after the calamity of Reborn and the Arceus worshiping circlejerk was a newly founded cult along with many other cults that haven't been talked about yet

or

2) The Arceus "cult" was once the true religion of Reborn but was totally forgotten after the apocalypse

or

3) They just simply lost their faith

I'm thinking that it's 2 but hopefully light will be shed on this and hopefully we can theorycraft or come up with new stuff

What do you think?

If we're going to try and legitimize the idea that Reborn has ties to a original religious belief, I would have to go with option 2. Arceus was the most worshiped deity.

The Arcean citadel under the Grand Gate is probably the oldest standing structure in the region. This leads me to believe that before Team Meteor began their antics, and possibly even before the construction of what was originally Reborn City during the time of Adrienn, there were people that worshiped Arceus in the area.

It should also be known that the belief in Arceus as a deity originates from the Sinnoh region (as evidenced from the records found in the Canalave Library) Now, whether or not you accept those records as fact or poem (A la the book of Genesis) is completely on you to decide for yourself. This means that people that believe Arceus is a creator "deity" Pokemon are not merely a cult located in Reborn, for it seemingly was a national theology in Sinnoh. It's possible that Reborn and Sinnoh have some sort of immigration based history, and knowledge of the Arceus story traveled with the original Reborn settlers to the new region.

The "apocalypse" most certainly has had an effect, but not due to "forgotten" faith. The cause of the agnostic or atheist belief became prevalent as Reborn City was built over the citadel. Here's where we can classify "believers" of such diety.

1. Nominal Arceanic people - Those who believe Arceus created the earth, but hardly practice any given commandments or worship Arceus (There is no official compiling of commandments, and the only official texts regarding Arceus are those of the creation story. There is existant religious text excerpts in the Episode 11 area regarding the extremist Arceanic cult located in Reborn however, which the player is encouraged by Randall to read, and it proves helpful in the player making his or her escape.)

2. Practicing people - People that believe Arceus is the creator deity and actively worship/proclaim as such, but do not ltranslate "texts" completely literally.

3. Extremists - (El and his cult exemplify this in-game, no need for explanation.)

Now, Extremist believers tend to be the ones that stay true to the path the most and are the least affected by outside philosophical ideas. Elsewhere though, the construction of Reborn City as a hub for ideas could have potentially hampered the spread of Arceanic ideals.

Finally, we have the reign of Team Meteor, which moved most Reborn citizens from pursuing intellect and safety needs (as found on Maslow's pyramid of Need) to the bottom of the pyramid, hunting down physiological (or basic) needs such as food, shelter, etc. No need for religion when you need actual bread over the bread of life here.

If I lived in Reborn, I'd be asking why the hell a benevolent god (arceus) would do such cruel things? etc.

Also,why the heck is an Arceus sealed away in the first place?

To keep the anwser short and not looking in all the main points of the story (to make sense to them),its not even an Arceus.

If I lived in Reborn, I'd be asking why the hell a benevolent god (arceus) would do such cruel things? etc.

I think I have a few possible explanations for that

1) Arceus was never actually benevolent and had satanic motives

2) Arceus simply didn't give a shit about what happened in the world and the destruction of Reborn was caused by another God

3) The real Arceus is dead and the Arceus that allowed this to happen/caused it to happen is an imposter

4) Arceus was a false God, delusions made into reality and the real God is still yet to be seen

5) There is no actual "God" in Reborn, I mean there's a reason why it's called a belief, they could have thought that Arceus was the creator but he really could be just the same as every other Legendary

If we're going to try and legitimize the idea that Reborn has ties to a original religious belief, I would have to go with option 2. Arceus was the most worshiped deity.

The Arcean citadel under the Grand Gate is probably the oldest standing structure in the region. This leads me to believe that before Team Meteor began their antics, and possibly even before the construction of what was originally Reborn City during the time of Adrienn, there were people that worshiped Arceus in the area.

It should also be known that the belief in Arceus as a deity originates from the Sinnoh region (as evidenced from the records found in the Canalave Library) Now, whether or not you accept those records as fact or poem (A la the book of Genesis) is completely on you to decide for yourself. This means that people that believe Arceus is a creator "deity" Pokemon are not merely a cult located in Reborn, for it seemingly was a national theology in Sinnoh. It's possible that Reborn and Sinnoh have some sort of immigration based history, and knowledge of the Arceus story traveled with the original Reborn settlers to the new region.

The "apocalypse" most certainly has had an effect, but not due to "forgotten" faith. The cause of the agnostic or atheist belief became prevalent as Reborn City was built over the citadel. Here's where we can classify "believers" of such diety.

1. Nominal Arceanic people - Those who believe Arceus created the earth, but hardly practice any given commandments or worship Arceus (There is no official compiling of commandments, and the only official texts regarding Arceus are those of the creation story. There is existant religious text excerpts in the Episode 11 area regarding the extremist Arceanic cult located in Reborn however, which the player is encouraged by Randall to read, and it proves helpful in the player making his or her escape.)

2. Practicing people - People that believe Arceus is the creator deity and actively worship/proclaim as such, but do not ltranslate "texts" completely literally.

3. Extremists - (El and his cult exemplify this in-game, no need for explanation.)

Now, Extremist believers tend to be the ones that stay true to the path the most and are the least affected by outside philosophical ideas. Elsewhere though, the construction of Reborn City as a hub for ideas could have potentially hampered the spread of Arceanic ideals.

Finally, we have the reign of Team Meteor, which moved most Reborn citizens from pursuing intellect and safety needs (as found on Maslow's pyramid of Need) to the bottom of the pyramid, hunting down physiological (or basic) needs such as food, shelter, etc. No need for religion when you need actual bread over the bread of life here.

In Sinnoh, the belief in Arceus was traditionally accepted as the norm. However, in Reborn, now that the Rebornians have supposedly lost their faith(or never had any), by definition it is a cult. Even if it was a religion before, it is now a cult as it is not socially accepted.

It is possible that they did have immigrants from Sinnoh to Reborn and that when they first introduced the idea of Arceus being a deity, they were labeled as a crazy ass cult but eventually they indoctrinated everyone to believe that he is the original creator. Or it is also possible of it being vice versa or that they developed the belief themselves(as a cult of course)

Regarding your last paragraph, in history, religion fluorished during the dark ages as it gave people something to cling on as hope, and during the dark ages there was no established official defense system(aka no big ass giant militaries, not even walls bordering off territory) and no one gave a shit about education or arts or science and all the other good things that a normal society should have. Religion, as we know, unites the people under a general belief and unity is what brought people out of the dark ages. So what Reborn needs right now is an established religion, not just simply looking for food and shelter. I mean judging by how things are going in Reborn, everyone is scared, everyone needs reliable protection, mobs are out of control more than ever, so what better way than to actually reintroduce religion to get people in line and unite so they can fight back against Team Meteor instead of relying you, the protoganist to 1vTeamMeteor all day.

Edited by Infinix

Or maybe the cultist are at the "beggining" of their religion. In order of impose their beliefs to the reborn folks, they are using the disaster it happen years ago, and at the same time, are being used by the Meteors, or the Meteors are just taking advantage on their eternal dementia.

Either way you slice it, Arceus seems like a major dick to me.

Well, people still manage to find a way to delude themselves from the truth and cherry pick what they want to believe regardless so even if their creator allowed and did all those bad things, some people would still find an excuse to give their life to the Lord and ignore all the bad parts when it becomes inconvenient. Just look at any major religion we currently have in the world right now and you'll see what I'm talking about.