First competitive pokemon teams

ShatteredSkys

So recently I decided to try out playing competitive pokemon on showdown and enjoying it a lot so far. Any advice or tips on competitive battling is appreciated, thanks! ^_^

OU Team

Terrakion

Nature:Jolly

Ability:Justified

EVs: 252 atk 252 spped 4 spd

Choice Scarf

-Stone Edge

-Close Combat

-Iron Head

-Earthquake

Heatran

Nature: Calm

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 252 hp 252 spd 4 spa

Leftovers

-Magma Storm

-Toxic

-Protect

-Earth Power

Skarmory

Nature:Impish

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 252 hp 252 def 4 speed

Leftover

-Defog

-Brave Bird

-Roost

-Stealth Rocks

Latios

Nature: Timid

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 spa 252 speed 4 hp

Choice Specs

-Draco Meteor

-Psyshock

-Ice Beam

-Surf

Rotom Wash

Nature: Impish

Ability: Levitate

Evs: 252 hp 252 def 4 speed

-Volt Switch

-Will-o-Wisp

-Hydro Pump

-Pain Split

Volcarona

Nature:Modest

Ability:Flame Body

EVs: 252spa 252 speed 4 hp

-Substitute

-Fiery Dance

- Quiver Dance

-Bug Buzz

A big problem I have with this team is fighting types, because my core is mostly steel Keldeo is murder to my team and the only way for me to deal with conkeldur is to lead with my latios and hope my opponent leads with it. My offensive typings are not very good and I constantly struggle against really bulky teams, I try to swap around but I can never get the right pokemon in the matchups I want. Also I want to try replacing volcarona with something else, it was great early on but now it gets walled so easily and doesn't contribute much to matches.

Why are you on showdown and not on PO (where the Reborn server is)?

Edited by Secundum

Dunno about him but I quite like having animations whenever I do anything, makes it easier to track what happens. The sprites are also nicer.

As far as the fighting weakness goes try a fairy type. In particular Azumarill will (probably) destroy Keldeo. Should run a number on Conkeldurr as well. Haven't actually used it in gen 6 yet though so I can't say with certainty born of experience.

Edit: If you take an Azumarill instead of Volcarona you've got a fair electric weakness. Maybe try to work some ground into your defensive core. Gliscor instead of Skarmory or something like that? You could probably run defog and a life orb on Latios if you want to keep defog. Still, not like you need more toxic stalling with Heatran already there so I dunno. Just throwing ideas around.

Edited by Sheep93

Dunno about him but I quite like having animations whenever I do anything, makes it easier to track what happens. The sprites are also nicer.

You must be using the old PO. The current one has animations, as well as the actual models from the game.

And on topic, yeah, a mega evo would be good. I'd recomend Charizard Y to deal with Conk (Air Slash).

You must be using the old PO. The current one has animations, as well as the actual models from the game.

Whoa serious? Cheers! I'll do some digging to see if I can find the new version then.

Zard Y does seem like a good suggestion. Drought should help get around keldeo as well.

I mainly feel that most people on the reborn servers are a lot more experienced and its going to be pretty tough learning the game against players of a higher level, showdown got much more people and more opponents around my level so its less frustrating to learn the game there. Though I plan on playing on the reborn server once I get some experience.

Thanks everyone for the tips! ^_^ Ill give charizard y a go.

I mainly feel that most people on the reborn servers are a lot more experienced and its going to be pretty tough learning the game against players of a higher level, showdown got much more people and more opponents around my level so its less frustrating to learn the game there. Though I plan on playing on the reborn server once I get some experience.

Thanks everyone for the tips! ^_^ Ill give charizard y a go.

Sky, I started at competitive battling in february of this year, and in my opinion battling on the Reborn Server is actually very good for learning. The reason is that everyone is helpfull and willing to give you some tips and opinions on your teams and battling style if you ask them.

Of course, it is quite hard to win battles there in the beggining, but for practice and team-testing I generally use the main PO server.