13.5 Mercury before first gym

SmollAthenna

Hi all, for the completionists out there, I just wanted to share how I beat Mercury (the 3F Aqua Building). I'm aware that there's a thread for previous version(s) out there, but it seems like they've reworked the fight a little bit (and fixed being able to obtain Blitzle before the first gym)

So I've been looking around, working out a strategy to be able to beat Mercury without needing Deerling that's obtainable after beating Venam.

The strategy goes as followed:

- Turn one Toxic Spikes against Abra's Trick Room.

- Swap Ekans (with Switcheroo that I gave a reverse candy to, doesn't do anything, just don't do berries or anything)

- Swap the red card for whatever Ekans is holding and perish

- Swap in Oddish for Leech Seed against Kadabra and perish

- Swap in Patrat with detect, perish next turn

- Swap in Maractus and use Spiky Shield, Kadabra should be dead with Alakazam coming out next.

- Throw in your level1 sturdy Geodude. [this can work with any Geodude, I just prefer to use a level1 sturdy geodude with 11 max hp so I can oran berry spam as I've found it cheaper. You can use a pickup pokemon/team to pick up Oran Berries, you'll need like 5 of em.]

- Sandstorm on it's first turn then just spam Oran Berries until Alakazam dies.

- Use Geodude/Maractus/toxic spike setter to defeat Abra.

- GG.

It took me a while to figure out a way to do it without having Mercury use her Full Restore, but it seems for me with this strategy she didn't use it.
All of these pokemon are obtainable before the first gym, but this fight isn't required to do before the gym at all, I'm just a completionist that likes to try to do these things as soon as they come up!

Hope you enjoy or found it useful.

• Thanks 1