Tektōn (Pokemon Reborn SI)

ArthurMagnus

Summary: Ending up in a world where monkeys can set things on fire and where weird bubble creatures can control dreams isn’t quite a comfort. Especially as you end up not in a world you are familiar with, but rather a hell mode itself. (SI into Pokemon Reborn)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world crashed, and I felt my body being thrown to the side of a wall. I could vaguely make out the rumbling sound of a charging train, and I groaned slightly at the impact. My senses were shot to hell and back as if my body was numb all over. 

My breathing was hitched, almost painful. I felt nauseous, as if I could puke at almost any second. I tried to steady myself. There was a weight on my arm as if something was strapped on there, and I could tell I was wearing a backpack of some kind behind me. 

“Now then… why don’t you tell us who you are exactly?” An almost dark voice spoke from above me. 

As I looked up, I noticed two people. A woman maybe a few years older than me, and a man wearing a blue uniform. The symbol on his shirt pocket seemed to indicate his status as a Train Conductor or a Trainmaster. Or something relating to trains. I peeked out of the window, seeing a vast desert of some kind rushing past us. Was I on a train?

“Did you have to throw him that hard?” The woman’s voice brought me back to reality, as I stumbled onto my feet. Through my own bangs which fell over my eyes, I looked at her. Her tone of voice was more neutral than unkind, and there was a distinct authority in her tone as if she were addressing someone of a lower rank.

The Trainmaster had a scowl on his face. “Well… you’re the one who reported the intruder, Miss!” 

“I did. But looking at his confused state… perhaps he himself has no idea of the situation he is in,” she speculated. I coughed slightly, feeling a charred sensation in my lungs prompting her to kneel, looking at me at eye level. “I suppose it’s that time already… Can you tell us who you are?”

Who I am? Who…I am? Who am I?

I shook my head. “I...I don’t remember…?” 

“We found your ID.” The Trainmaster cut in, as he showed off a thin piece of plastic. There was a name and a photograph there, and a date of birth, and I could spot the title of the “Unovan National Registry” labelled above all the other details. The Trainmaster looked at the ID. “Alessander Tektonius. Sounds like a fake name if there was one.”

Strangely, despite my confusion and the man’s obvious hostility, I found myself agreeing with the Trainmaster. Alessander Tektonius. An unnecessarily complicated name. The first name being a bastardization of ‘Alexander’, no doubt. And the latter sounded… Greek or Latin. 

And this name was my own? It was hard to believe. I could distinctly recall my name being closer to Indo-European in terms of spelling and pronunciation. 

Of course, my own inability to recall my precise name is another matter entirely.

“And what about that thing strapped to your hand? Looks fancy. And like a Pokegear.” The Trainmaster’s words caused me to snap back into attention. It looks like a what?

“A Pokegear.” The woman supplied, making me realize I had spoken that last bit aloud. “It’s a communication device and PDA most commonly used in Indigo and sometimes in Sinnoh. Ah…” She spoke with realization. “You’re from Unova, aren’t you? I believe they use a different device called an Xtransciever there.” 

A fictional communication device. I was careful not to let that slip, as I could feel my heart beat slightly faster. I looked down at my shaking hands, identifying a strangely familiar-looking blue and black device strapped to the back of my arm. 

“What happened?” I said, my voice tense and strained as if I had not spoken in weeks. The woman and Trainmaster both hesitated for a second. 

The woman shrugged. “You tell us. I was in the compartment next to the one you were in. The people were saying that you were... screaming.” She said, her face twisting into a slight frown at that last part. 

“Of course, Miss Ame was swift to apprehend you after that. And you were brought here and put in an isolated compartment for interrogation,” the Trainmaster concluded. “We also asked the other passengers around about you. The ones in your compartment definitely hadn’t noticed you until you screamed, and no one saw you enter the train. It’s as if you appeared out of thin air, screaming.”

“Someone likely must have teleported him.” The woman—Ame, the man called her—said. She stood up, and I stared at her hips in a daze, fascinated by the Pokeballs about her belt. 

The casual talk about teleportation, this strange, overwhelming sense of unease, and the demeanour by which they were speaking of my strange circumstances… it somehow dragged my mind to one concrete conclusion:

It seemed we were no longer in Kansas anymore, Toto.

“W-where is this train going in any case?” I asked, stumbling slightly onto the seat adjacent to me. The cushions were rough, as I tried to steady myself. 

“To Grandview Station in Reborn City. This is the Lawrence Mail, connecting the Region of Corinth to Reborn.” The Trainmaster said, unsurely. He looked around, slight confusion on his expression. Ame’s expression on the other hand was confusion and her eyes were… looking above me… what?  There was a chill behind me, as if someone had grabbed my shoulder with an icy hand. “We should be reaching soon. And hold on, shouldn’t we be slowing down, right about now-”

“GET DOWN!” Someone yelled, but I couldn’t quite be sure whom as everything seemed to scream at that moment. Metal grated, stone tumbled, and the world burst like a bubble. Everything around me seemed to flip over as I was blinded by a searing light in front of me, and a blazing flame behind. 

And then, a painful ringing sensation racked my ears. The screams and sounds of chaos and destruction didn’t seem to stop around me, forming an endless, overwhelming serenade. A flash of light somewhere behind me—maybe another explosion? I was vaguely aware of someone's arms around me, and I could hear them speak with strong, commanding words towards someone else. I could also feel something warm trickling down my skull as red clouded portions of my vision. Was I bleeding….?

Suddenly, everything seemed to go silent. There were still shouting and panicked noises in the background, but it seemed distant. 

My body hurt like hell. My head more so. The ringing in my head refused to die down, as I sensed people running and moving all around me. I suddenly became aware of someone’s hands on my shoulder, shaking me slightly, and their voice saying my name.

“Alex! Alex!” I blinked, and suddenly Ame came into view, right in front of me. “Wake up! Oh, thank god! You seem alright.”

Suddenly, nausea struck. I felt like vomiting, but I held it in with a terse look on my face.

“Wha- What happened?” I asked, my voice hoarse.

“There was an attack.” She said, a somewhat relieved expression on her face that I still had the ability to converse. “A bomb went off in the station and on the train.”

I felt sick. A terrorist attack? And I was caught in the explosion? The next words which escaped my lips took absurd effort.

“A-and the other guy? The… conductor fellow?” The guilty, disappointed look on Ame’s face said it all. 

“He couldn’t make it out in time.” She said in surprising bluntness, yet I could also tell a tense tiredness in her tone. “From what I could make out, a piece of shrapnel hit him on the head, and his death was instant.” She paused for a second, before smiling weakly. “Despair managed to bring us both out though, so that’s a bit of an achievement. But the others in the station…”

I looked down, in slight shock. A man had died. Only metres away from me at that. And many more people had died as well—other people in the station and on the trains. But I had a question. 

“Despair?” And suddenly, I became aware of the humanoid figure to my left, standing close to the white-haired woman.

My breath hitched at its presence. There was something distinctly inhuman about the figure, despite its humanoid build and feminine appearance. It was small and petite, maybe around two-thirds my own height. Its skin was white and hairless, almost plastic-esque, and its green hair curled over its face in a distinct arc, showcasing a bright red eye. The red fin on its chest and the long flowing gown had made it instantly recognizable in my eyes. 

A Gardevoir. A real-life, bonafide Gardevoir was standing right in front of my eyes. I nodded slightly, my confused daze apparent. 

“Thanks, Despair.” I mumbled, looking away slightly. The Embrace Pokemon nodded in acknowledgement as well, before vanishing in a flash of light as Ame withdrew her.

There was a moment of stiff, uncomfortable silence. I could see Police Officers and Firemen and Pokemon trainers and even ordinary civilians all around us moving to save as many as they could. Ame looked like she wanted to say something, but she kept her mouth shut for the moment.

Suddenly, a garishly cheerful voice spoke as they approached us.

“Hihi~!” She spoke, as Ame sighed, turning to face the approaching woman with an exasperated look on her face.

A green-haired woman pranced over to us as I stared in fascination. She seemed to be close to my own age, maybe a few years my senior. I noticed her fairly skimpy, yellow cheerleader’s outfit. The police officers easily gave this eccentric woman a wide berth and allowed her in, suggesting some level of prominence. 

“Julia.” Ame greeted her with a tense voice. There was amusement there as well, but it was carefully muted. “I suppose you aren’t responsible for… well, this.” She said pointing to the burning ruins of Grandview Station.

“Whaat~?” She said, her voice betraying an amused tone. “I was just back at the Gym and I saw the big BOOM from there, so I came running!” She had a strange smile on her face as she did so. “Cuz if things are exploding, I have to be there!” 

What the hell. Is she a pyromaniac?

“Uh-huh.” Ame shook her head with a sigh, turning back to look at the ruin of the station. The flames had died down, and I noticed jets of water being fired towards it by a whole platoon of various water-type Pokemon. The amount of people escaping the ruin had slowed to a trickle. I watched in fascination. “It seemed to have been a deliberate attack,” Ame observed. “The train was rigged to destroy Grandview Station. Or else…”

“Hmph.” Julia huffed slightly. “Whoever it was who did that was an amateur at this. I mean, the whole structure is still intact! What’s the point of anything if you plan on doing such a half-assed job.”

“...Right.” Ame said after a momentary pause. “Whoever was responsible for this should probably be still in the area,” she said after a moment of thought. “I should head back to the Grand Hall. Organize a perimeter around the area and begin the search.” 

She turned to me, her eyes lingering on my forehead. I suddenly became keenly aware of the pain in that area. I reached up and examined the blood leaking from a cut there. A glass shard or something must have slashed through when we were making our escape.

“You should have that checked out,” she said with concern. “They should have set up a medical station here. Ask one of the police officers for its whereabouts.” 

I nodded. It was a bit confusing, and I was overall in a daze. I needed time to think about…everything now.

“After that, please meet me in the Grand Hall. Just tell them your name, and they’ll let you in. We need to discuss… your current arrangement.” She turned to Julia. “Julia, I trust that you have things covered here?” 

“Right, I do, boss!” She gave a mock salute. “You won’t see any explosions this side of Peridot, no siree!” 

Ame nodded, her expression clearly lacking in confidence. She put a hand on my shoulder. “As for all this… don’t worry about it. I’ll take care of it.” 

I nodded, still in a daze, as she promptly left, offering me a wave as she did so. The surroundings and the people around me suddenly felt utterly alien. I stumbled slightly on the asphalt, my legs feeling like lead. 

“Heyhey! You’re Alex, right?” Julia asked cheerfully, stepping up and offering me a hand which I accepted, pulling myself up. “I’m Julia! The Electric Type Gym Leader of Peridot Ward! Nice to meetcha!” 

“Y-yeah,” I said in a shaky tone. “Nice to meet you too. I’m… Alex, I guess.” She nodded as we walked slowly off to the side, a policeman guiding us to the medical camp they had set up.

Grandview Station was a large, spacious building located at the bank of a purple lake. There were two or three roads diverting away from the Station. Some went north while one large road went eastward towards where Ame had pointed out the Grand Hall looming in the distance. 

A series of tents and desks had been set up. I quietly observed the chaos unfolding before me. There were dozens, maybe hundreds of lost and injured people before me, some of them reporting their status to officers wearing blue, others seeking treatment by some doctors. 

I could also see the many Pokemon there. A Chansey provided assistance to a doctor treating a woman’s twisted ankle, an Audino dabbing ointment onto another man’s burns. There was a Squirtle as well, firing water into plastic cups as a makeshift water dispenser. 

My stomach lurched slightly as I stared at the grievous injuries sustained by other people caught in the accident. Compared to them, my own injuries were relatively minor.

“Neat! Pop Quiz!” Julia suddenly spoke. I was a bit surprised, unaware that she was even following me. “Are you going to challenge Reborn’s Pokemon League?”

The question caught me off-guard. The Pokemon League? Childish dreams of imagining myself as a Pokemon Trainer began to bubble back to the surface, and I forced them back down with a gulp.

“Maybe?” I said with hesitation. “I mean, I don’t really have any of my stuff or anything, so I don’t really know…”

Her eyes widened at that. “Oh right! Sorry about that.” She said in a surprisingly genuine, apologetic tone. “Hmm… but do consider it though. We have very few challengers these days, and if you do I’ll probably be your first obstacle,” she said with a smirk. “Hmm… I do think you’ll be a great trainer though.”

“Oh? What makes you say that?” I couldn’t help but ask. 

“Just a feeling,” she chirped before swiftly turning around and leaving with a wave. I waved back as I looked at the camps, feeling a bit lost. 

I ended up standing in a line where a few people with less serious injuries were being treated. I held a handkerchief up to my head, and while the wound seemed to have largely clotted, there was still some blood trickling down. 

I observed the doctor as the line began to shrink. Unlike the ones in the other tents who were wearing white coats, this one seemed to be dressed in all black and had a Croagunk of all things assisting him. His purple hair was strangely distinctive as well. As the line moved, I was able to take a better look at his features. He had faded purple hair, greying in some areas, and a face whose lines made him seem older than he actually was. 

The boy in front of me moved when his turn came. “Yowch! It stings!” he said as the man applied disinfectant to the wound on his arms.

“Only temporarily,” he said in a soft, almost cold voice. “Your wound needs to be disinfected before treatment. It may sting for now, but it will burn far worse if you leave it as is, and fester if you neglect it entirely. If you want that, I can stop.”

“N-no, no sir. Please continue,” the boy said with a whimper. 

“Hmph. The transaction of exchanging short-term pain for long-term healing is likely difficult for someone young to understand,” he said, more to himself rather than the boy. He proceeded to clean and apply bandages to the boy’s injury “You do not yet have the experience to know why the world has hurt you. Thus, you are forced to trust the adults in your life. But all too often, they prove themselves incapable of earning that trust.” 

My only thought throughout that speech was: ‘Why is he suddenly spouting his whole life philosophy out of nowhere?’

He sighed as he took a final look at the wound. “There, it is done. It should be all better, yes?” 

“Yes, sir.” 

“Worth waiting for?” 

“Yes, thank you, sir,” he said as he scampered off.

And suddenly it was my turn. 

I was definitely quieter than the other patients, quietly submitting myself to his care. Soon, he applied an ointment on my head after checking for a concussion, then he bandaged my cut which thankfully wasn’t very deep. 

“Thank you,” I said, as I stood up.

“It is no problem,” he responded in that same monotone tone. 

“May I ask for your name?” I suddenly blurted out.

“My name?” There was a furrow in his brow. “I suppose it is no harm... I am Dr. Corey Molinar.”

“I see, thank you, Dr Molinar,” I said, nodding at the man before quickly walking away. Something about him gave me the creeps… but I also had the feeling that that was not going to be the last interaction I had with that man.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The city reeked, I observed, as I walked down Grandview Avenue, the lakeside road from the station to the Grand Hall. The potent stench seemed to not only emanate from the murky, filthy waters of Azurine Lake but also the piles of garbage casually strewn about. I observed an open drain spilling over and a pile of trash which I could have sworn had just blinked at me. I was a bit perplexed before chalking it off as a Trubbish or something. 

Ah. And there was that other thing. Being sent to the world of Pokemon. A… dark, brooding, edgy world of Pokemon, but a world of Pokemon nonetheless. 

I could see the ‘Grand Hall’ as Ame put it looming in the distance, but I could tell that it would take some time for me to get there on foot. Enough to muse over my current situation.

I recalled memories many years old, about playing FireRed and Sapphire and Platinum and becoming fascinated by the entirety of the Pokemon franchise. I never got to play the 3DS or Switch games, but my affection for them remained through the Anime and the Manga and whatever other games I could still play. 

I never expected myself to be Isekai’d there though. Especially not… in what seems like a region which did not appear in any of the games I had played. 

Reborn. That was the name of this region. A bit of a weird name, to be named after a verb, but it works, I guess.

I clenched a fist, pausing for a moment. What I lacked right now was information. I didn’t know anything about this place, what sorts of systems are present, and whether or not there was any method for me to get back home. There was also that murky haze in the back of my mind, and I could feel a migraine swelling, causing me to wince. 

I idly wondered if they had paracetamol here.

My memories, however… were in a jumble as well. I was aware of general details—of my age and my old occupation as a college student. But the specifics escaped me, especially in regard to my old social life. I had… a parent. Maybe two? And… not many friends? And did I have a love interest?

I scratched my head. I really needed to calm down and think about this, but not now. I looked up, quite impressed by the massive building which stood before me.

The Grand Hall was a massive complex, a singular building standing tall in a small, surprisingly green garden. Surrounded by drab walls, I idly noticed the somewhat strict security standing in front of the gate. Nervousness clung to me as I approached the entrance and submitted myself to their inspection. A lady security officer was seated at a desk with a notepad listing details.

“Name?” She addressed me as I passed through a magnetic scanner.

“Alex,” I said, the unfamiliar name passing through my lips. “Alex Tektonius.”

“Ah. Ame said you were coming,” she said with a nod. “Go right through, straight ahead, and ask the front desk for her.”

“Right,” I responded with a nod. I was in a daze as I wandered through the glass doors of the Grand Hall. 

The air conditioning of the building was intense, a chill passing through my body as I could hear it grind overhead through the vents. 

This Grand Hall place was the centre of administration of this region and it showed.

I could feel the stares on me as I passed through. The opening reception area was a massive platform with many different desks and stations all around. I could identify a shop of some kind, and what looked to be a Pokemon Center off to my left. There were also people—a lot of people actually—some of them looking at documents, others tending to their Pokemon, and another group of people huddling near a TV watching a news broadcast. I winced as I overheard the reporter talk about the explosion at Grandview but quickly made my way to the front desk.

A simple exchange of greetings happened with the man stationed there. Soon, I found myself being shuttled towards Ame’s office. 

She was waiting for me, seated behind a desk working on some paperwork as she looked up as I entered. I waved at her nervously. 

She smiled however, offering me a seat. 

“Well then, Mr. Alex. Shall we get started?”

A/N: For the past few months I have been fascinated by a few things. Nier Automata, the Otome Isekai Genre, Ben 10 and Pokemon Fangames. I had played Reborn some time ago, and completed it recently, and I’m working through the Endgame now.

This fic would probably change a bunch of stuff from the game, but overall I’m planning to stick with the Lin Route apart from changes which would make more sense in my head. Alessander Tektonius was a character conceived primarily to give the protagonist a lot more depth and I am hoping to give him a proper arc which we can follow.

‘Tektōn’ is an ancient Greek word which means Craftsman, Artisan or Carpenter. I just found the name and decided it sounded good for Alex’s surname.

Self-Inserts or SIs or Isekais are always fun and I’ve had the idea of writing a fic for Reborn did pop in my head a bunch of times, so I’ve gone ahead and done it. And this is the result. Comment on how I did, review and like. Constructive criticism is always appreciated. This fic will be going on like four different places, so look out for it there as well.

Other chapters are being worked on right now. But it’s going to be a bit slower than I hoped.

Thanks to cat_and_crow from AO3 for beta-ing for me. You’ve been great help. And good day to the rest of you. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Summary: Ending up in a world where monkeys can set things on fire and where weird bubble creatures can control dreams isn’t quite a comfort. Especially as you end up not in a world you are familiar with, but rather a hell mode itself. (SI into Pokemon Reborn)

In my sleep, I could not dream.

For a time, it frustrated me. I liked to dream and being unable to do so certainly made a difference as to how I woke up. But after the first few nights, it was strangely therapeutic, slipping into that state of poignant darkness.

The room they had provided me was located somewhere in the Grand Hall in an attached complex adjacent to the main building. It was miniscule, with just enough space for a Television, a bed, a tiny closet, and a bathroom with a basic shower and toilet. It honestly reminded me a lot of those motel rooms they showed in movies sometimes.

I felt a bit nostalgic at the thought, knowing all too well that all those movies and games from Earth will now forever be out of my reach.

After what seems like forever, I push myself to get off the bed. My eyes are tired, my body wary, and my mind fatigued after another day of research. I drag my feet across a carpeted floor into the bathroom.

I stare at my reflection for a moment. My transmigration here was not accompanied by some great metamorphosis of my physical form, so I looked relatively the same as I always had: slightly dark skin, black hair, and a tired expression on my face. I scratched my chin, finding that stubble had started to grow again. My body was unathletic and a bit paunchy, an indicator of the sedentary life I lived before.

It had been five days since my arrival in this world, and I was still stuck in that state of purposeless limbo. Nervousness accompanied my every action, as I hesitated to make firm decisions on my future, primarily because of my fear of overreaching. Ame had been kind to me, very kind, setting me up in this room and giving me an allowance so that I could purchase clothes and belongings, but she had not taken my reluctance to formally become a Pokemon trainer very well.

She seemed more disappointed than anything really. And I couldn’t exactly blame her. From what I heard, there were several new trainers on the train which exploded, all of them from regions outside of Reborn. This was technically a diplomatic nightmare for her, so I couldn’t exactly blame her for trying to salvage the situation with one guy who did manage to make it out alive.

I clenched my fist as I sighed, stepping out of the bathroom. I toweled off and began to change, mentally preparing myself for the decisions I am about to make. Because I knew that there was no going back from this.

The past five days have been spent in research, study and catching up on everything I

needed to know about this world. I was aware of ‘Fallers’ from the Alola games, and how travelling through Ultra Wormholes had made them targets for Ultra Beasts due to the energy which lingered on their forms. I did not know if that was the case for me or if some Aether Foundation-esque organization was on the lookout for me, but I didn’t want to take my chances. Knowing the basic history and societal functioning of the world to create a backstory would be the barest of requirements for my protection.

From my research, it seems that the history of the world was more closely linked with the events of the games rather than the anime or the manga. Red was a legendary trainer who had become Champion around a decade ago at this point and had vanished soon after his ascension, and Blue was a famous Elite Trainer who still operated as the Viridian City Gym Leader.

Dawn had surprised everyone by retiring from Professional Battling only a year after becoming Champion, the post returning back to Cynthia who retained the title to this day. May and Gold were still the Champions of their respective regions. Hilda became the Unovan Champion right after beating N, but had disappeared from the public eye, being replaced first by Iris, and then by Nate.

It felt... strange, reading newspaper reports and articles about these people. It was only a few years ago that I actually was these people to some extent. I knew each of their journeys, their trials and the difficulties they faced even under the games’ kid-friendly lens. I remembered playing the games with gusto, indulging in my own personal escapist fantasies as I imagined myself travelling the world, surviving on the merits of my wits and my Pokemon alone. It was something which enthralled me, a distraction from the pressures and pains of the day-to-day.

To see the vessels of these childhood fantasies be real people and achieve true success fills me with a suffocating sense of pride which felt wrong to have. These were genuine people now in a real world which I also inhabited. I had no claim or right to their achievements.

I looked at the clock hanging from the wall above. I also didn’t have the time.

My fingers ran over the smooth leather of my wallet, one of the few items I actually owned and had since my arrival here. Ame had provided me with a surprisingly large allowance, sufficient for me to buy a full new wardrobe, along with some other stuff for my day-to-day use. The day I went to get these items was the only day I actually left my room in the Grand Hall, as I spent the rest of my time on my research. The Grand Hall’s wifi was thankfully free, and my Pokegear conveniently had an internet connection I could use. My meals were free as well, thankfully, and sent straight up to my room.

When Ame had asked me to be a Pokemon trainer, I was definitely taken aback. I had asked for more time, and she accepted, probably considering the trauma I must have suffered during the accident. However, I could tell she was disappointed, wanting me to start on my journey right away.

In all honesty, I am fine where I am, I think. I get free, surprisingly tasty food, and free internet to browse through all the battles and articles I want. And I am sure that Ame wouldn’t kick me out. She seemed like a nice person. She would probably let me stay on, or more likely give me a job or something.

But I knew I couldn’t exactly rely on her charity any more. I didn’t want to rely on her charity any more.

I sighed softly, standing up after a moment. I could hear the tick of my watch in the deafening silence of the room. It was close to 9, and my appointment was to start half-an-hour from now. I got up on my feet, put on my brand new running shoes, and made my way downstairs and into the main atrium, my thoughts a chaotic haze.

I could feel the gazes of the staff and other regulars as I walked to the Grand Hall’s public area. I had become well acquainted with them over the past few days. They knew me as a survivor of the Grandview Incident and treated me with sympathy accordingly.

I wiped my forehead instinctively, noticing my sleeve was soaked in light sweat. As I took a seat in front of the TV, which was now playing some weird Batman spin-off cartoon centered around a ‘Gligarman’, I fidgeted nervously. I looked around, carefully observing the surroundings while playing with the silent Pokegear in my fingers. It was a surprisingly nifty device, capable of both communication and accessing the internet along with other miscellaneous functions. A bizarre smartphone which was simultaneously clunky with its build while also shockingly elegant with the holographic screens it projected.

“Alex? Alex T-Tektonius?” I heard my new name called out. I quickly stood up and walked over to the receptionist. “Ame is ready to see you.”

The familiar hallway leading up to her private office was one I had travelled through only once before, on that fateful day I first appeared here.

The Grand Hall was a deceptively large building. A massive amount of space was taken by the Central Hall, which even housed a Pokecenter and a small shop for basic supplies. The rest was a bit too small for the office spaces and other more specialized facilities. They couldn’t exactly build more space around the building, since the Grand Hall, and Opal Ward by extension, was restrained to an island surrounded by bridges branching off to the rest of Reborn.

So, they did the next best thing: they built it underground. Reminds me of the Harry Potter movies, really.

Three floors of varying facilities were constructed right underneath the main complex. The first two floors containing administrative offices while the last having battling facilities. Ame’s office was on the first floor, separated by a divider and a door from the rest.

I did not fail to notice the plaque showcasing her title of “League Manager and Interim Champion.” The letters were fading and dulled.

The door swung open, and as I took a seat in front of her, I could feel the cold of the metal doorknob linger on my fingers. She smiled seeing me, but there was a tenseness there. “I hope you have come to a decision?” Ame asked.

“I have.” I quickly replied with a nod. “I think... I think I’ll do it. I’ll become a Pokemon Trainer.” I said, my voice gaining steel as I spoke.

There was a moment’s silence, but I could tell that Ame had suddenly become excited somewhat. There was visible relief on her face as I informed her of the conclusion I reached after those few days of thought.

The logic behind my decision was simple. Reborn was a landlocked country, with no real way out. Surrounded by treacherous mountains, wilds, and wastelands, the best way to get out of here was by train, through Grandview. And the station was wrecked, leaving me stranded.

Flight was another option, but air travel was notoriously expensive and difficult in this world. Kinda obvious, considering the amount of Flying Pokemon which could just ram into your windshield or engine if you aren’t careful, and how some aggressive Pokemon like Salamence or Skarmory may even directly attack your plane if you veer into their turf.

Which leaves me stranded in Reborn.

Reason alone did not dictate my decision, as a growing itch, a smouldering passion was also its fuel. I could stay at the Grand Hall, and it wasn’t like I couldn’t get a desk job or something. It was dangerous after all, with that Team Meteor kicking about.

But honestly? That felt pathetic.

There was a whole new world out there, just waiting for further exploration. A world plucked straight from my childhood dreams. How could I not get out there?

It wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows though. Meteor exists. They are a threat, a very dangerous one at that with no qualms about civilian casualties. I have no question that if our paths ever crossed, I’ll probably be the one putting my life on the line. But it wasn’t like the journeys the other protagonists took were any different.

Team Rocket killed Cubone’s mom and countless other Pokemon. They experimented on Mewtwo, the Shiny Gyarados of the Lake of Rage, and Cloning in their rampant pursuit of power.

Team Galactic bombed a lake which killed both Pokemon and people, from what I could see on the internet. Cyrus’ plans had left behind a trail of blood on which Dawn and Cynthia walked to stop him, and while Saturn had successfully guided much of Galactic in a better direction, messing with the Origin Legendaries had consequences Sinnoh was still reeling from.

The actions of Team Magma and Aqua led to the capsizing of countless ships and weather calamities all over the world. It is a bit of a shocker that Archie and Maxie got off scot-free, but, to be fair, most experts agreed that the magnitude of the reaction of the Orbs was unexpected.

Team Plasma shot an ice cannon at a city. Even if the reports of the countless casualties had not existed, you can’t convince me that people made it out of that unscathed in the games. Moreover, Ghetsis actively tried to kill the Nate/Rosa, only being stopped at the last second by N.

There are always risks. Humans are naturally frail, and even back on Earth, simply bonking your head hard enough is sufficient to kill you. A simple glitch in your organs could cause the loss of function and worse.

Was I willing to risk my own life recklessly that way? Probably not. I was a bit of a coward after all.

But in reality, the best way to avoid these risks and dangers was to grow and rise above them after all. And here, in a world where even Gods can be tamed, that is very much possible.

It was a bit contradictory. To reach a state of absolute safety, I have to put my own life on the line. But it was a thought process which had clung to my mind like glue once I first thought of it.

Become strong. Stronger than anyone. And become strong quickly. That was my aim here.

And I told Ame as such, who seemed delighted at my acceptance.

“That’s wonderful news!” she said, gushing. She pulled out a bunch of documents from a drawer in her desk. “Now, normally we would have a whole test and everything for a new Trainer before we issue their ID, but I think that we can get you your Starter Pokemon straight away. You’ll still have to take the test, but it will be a bit later from now.” She explained.

That had certainly taken me off guard.

A Starter Pokemon. An exceptional Pokemon from a Fire, Water, Grass Type, with outstanding growth rate. Even the ‘weaker’ Starters from the games back home like Meganium were superb performers here, and a useful asset to any team. Essentially the symbols of their respective generation and some of the most beloved Pokemon around.

“I’ll be honest. I thought I would be starting with a Pidgey or something,” I confessed.

Ame laughed at that. “We have a surplus of starters right now, really. More than what we really know what to do with. You can have your pick of any of them,” she said. “Would you like to go to the Starters room right away then?”

Tempting. Very Tempting. But…

“Can I have some time? Not too much. Just about an hour or so.”

“Certainly. It will take some time for the paperwork to be filed anyway. And there’s supposed to be another trainer coming in,” Ame replied. She stood up, and I took that as my indication to leave. “Think carefully, in any case. Choosing a starter is a big decision, one you should only take if you are absolutely certain,” she says wistfully, probably reminiscing over her own journey.

A quick, last-minute research session later, I was seated back on the chair in Ame’s office. She was absent, busy dealing with some official matter or other. I looked down into my hands, well aware of the nervousness suddenly stuttering throughout my body.

Can I really do this? Can I actually succeed as a Pokemon Trainer without the plot armor provided by the games?

‘Eh, probably not.’ That was the reply which came back. And it was hard to disagree with it.

I was a fish out of water in this situation. Even with my knowledge of the games and other miscellaneous materials, my information does not correlate to reality one-to-one. Compared to someone who grew up in this world, will I have a chance?

I sighed. I had already acquiesced to becoming a trainer and the moment I did so, the die was cast. I had to calm myself and deal with the sheer nervousness I felt. It was hard to stop my hand from shaking.

I clutched one hand in the other and looked down, my foot rapping lightly against the floor. At that moment, the door to the office swung open.

“Excuse me, is this Ame’s office?” A voice, an unfamiliar female voice, spoke from the door. I turned around to look at the newcomer.

She was tall and pale with long black hair which cascaded around her back. She had fine features, and her overall attire resembled a martial artist’s gi, just black instead of white. There was a coat-like apparel over her martial outfit, and most prominently, a pair of Yin-Yang symbols stood out.

“Yeah,” I said hoarsely, slightly recovering my nerves to talk to this stranger. “And... um... You are?” I asked, almost hesitatingly.

“Victoria. Victoria Marlowe,” she said, approaching me and offering her hand to shake. I took it and noticed her firm grip. Yowch... is she a Martial Artist or something? From the Gi she’s wearing that doesn’t seem unlikely. “You’re... Alex aren’t you?”

“You know me?”

“Ame mentioned you in the passing,” she nodded. “You’re a new trainer?”

“I am,” I confirmed. “You too?”

“Kind of,” she said with an uneasy smile. “I’ve helped out with Pokemon before, but this really is the official start to my journey.”

I nodded in response. Hmm... Starter Pokemon aren’t exactly given out freely. I’m only getting one presumably because the people who actually applied for one aren’t here right now. Then, she must be a local of Reborn who used their connections to get a Starter Pokemon. And from her gi, she’s probably related to the Fighting Type Gym Leader.

She sat next to me, and I could feel her tenseness. My own posture had become much more relaxed with her arrival. At least I am not going through this alone.

“Are you from outside Reborn, Alex?” she asked out of the blue.

“I am. I’m from Nuvema Town in the Unova Region,” I said, recalling my fake backstory. “And you’re from here, I guess.”

“I am,” she confirmed. I could identify hesitation in her expression. “Were you on the train that crashed?”

I winced and that seemed to tell her everything she wanted to know. Her face immediately turned apologetic. “I’m sorry for-”

“It’s- It’s okay,” I quickly cut her off. “It’s fine. I’m over it.”

“Still, it’s a bit wrong for me to bring it up so soon,” she said softly. “It must have been a... rough experience.”

To be fair, it wasn’t the disaster itself which bothered me. The incident happened in a flash, and the worst of the calamity was kept away from me. Under normal circumstances, I have no doubt it would have, but I wouldn’t exactly call my situation normal.

The silence which fell over us at that moment was distinctly awkward. I was fairly certain that neither of us knew how to commandeer a conversation from here out, and the topic we did end our discussion on left a bad taste in the air.

Which is why I let out a subtle sigh of relief at Ame’s return.

There was a frustrated look on her face as she walked in, sitting right in front of us. She seemed to clear some of that frustration as she sat down, but I could still see some displeasure in her face. “Sorry for taking so long, guys. There was a report about the attack on the station with one of the perpetrators being caught.”

Now that was news. “You caught the culprit?” I blurted out.

“Unfortunately no. The man we caught was a... decoy of some kind. He’s the third one so far we’ve found during our search of Peridot, and it seems that the real culprits are manipulating some of the lesser criminals to distract us. They spread rumors that they’re responsible throughout the criminal underworld leading our Police force on a wild goose chase. And after the attacks in Jasper and Beryl..” she said with a shake of her head. “We have no clue how they’re accomplishing this, but they won’t get away with it for too long. It’s only a matter of time that we find their base here.”

She sighed once more. “Sorry for rambling so much. This is a big day for the two of you after all. Come on, follow me then.”

She walked out of her office and me and Victoria followed closely behind. We quickly stepped into the elevator which descended downward into the Battling section of the Grand Hall.

The Grand Hall wasn’t just the administrative centre of the region. As the centre of the Pokemon League, it also focused on Pokemon and their development. Trainers from abroad are invited to challenge the League, and the Grand Hall acts as a sort of ranch and repository for any Pokemon they catch. Naturally, a full space was cleared out underground focused entirely on the upkeep of these Pokemon. There was a large arena in the centre, and several rooms branching off. I could see some assistants move about carrying large bags of feed, and some carefully observing some of the Pokemon out and about. I could identify a Tailow, a Pinsir, a Gogoat, and a Blaziken among other Pokemon.

That was quite the variety. A sensation of excitement passed over me as I looked around while I followed Ame. Will the Pokemon I catch end up here some day?

“Here we are,” Ame said cheerfully as we stopped in front of a door. “Behind this door, we have a collection of Starter Pokemon from other regions. All you have to do is go in and take your pick.” she said with a grin. “Who wants to go first then?”

“Alex can go,” Victoria said quickly. “I’ve already decided what Starter I want, so I can wait.”

Was she trying to be nice to make up for that thing she said earlier? That’s a bit too much. But I nodded anyway as I followed Ame into the chamber.

The Starter Selection Chamber was spacious and wide. Three long tables for each of Fire, Water and Grass were arranged in the center, each having seven Pokeballs each to make up a total of twenty-one potential options. Three Starters from Seven regions all the way from Kanto to Alola. Reborn had generally good relations with many foreign countries, a diverse variety of habitats and a fairly less number of active trainers joining each year, allowing them access to such a variety of Pokemon to act as Starters.

“I hope you’ve made a decision on which Starter you will be selecting. It’s a very important choice, so I do hope you’ve given it some thought. Although, if you can’t decide you can leave it to chance,” Ame spoke, pointing to a strange device to the side. “That device will use a random number generator to pick a Pokemon at random from those that are available. Chance may be quite helpful here.”

“Thanks,” I found myself speaking. “But I don’t think I’ll need it. I’ve already made my decision.”

Well, sort of. I had narrowed down which Starter I wanted however. I recalled my thought process as I started to walk towards the Pokemon I wanted.

A Starter Pokemon was important. Having a strong Starter Pokemon essentially guarantees the capture of strong Pokemon in the future and allows you to take on challenges and tasks a weak Starter Pokemon simply won’t allow. Moreover, your Starter Choice will also influence the remainder of your journey. You might avoid or enter certain areas depending on your Starter Choice, and you may change your team to match specific challenges you may be facing in the future.

When selecting a Starter, it's important to know what you have in mind. You would normally picture their final form in your head while you think of them. While the initial physical attributes of most Starters are relatively similar, as they grow and evolve, their kit changes to resemble that of their final form.

The requirements I had in my Starter were simple: a fast, reliable and versatile offensive Pokemon who can take multiple roles in a party. It would be preferable if they weren’t frail as well.

There was one primary factor influencing this criteria for my Starter: my current Financial situation.

The League provided a stipend, but to be honest, it wasn’t great. Coupled with free housing and cheap food in Pokemon Centres, it was enough to survive on, but it really was not sufficient to build a Team with. Maintaining Pokemon is expensive: you need food, water and medical supplies and if you are raising competent battlers, stuff like TMs would also be quite helpful.

On pure personal preference, my favourite Starter out of the twenty-one they offered me was Bulbasaur. I loved the little frog-plant hybrid and in the long term, it was a good option. It could easily fill in a tank role and pester the opponent with its Status Powders and Poison and Grass types attacks, as well as its excellent regenerative capabilities.

But that is not what I want my Starter to do. I want my Starter to be offensive and direct with a focus on attacking. I want to win my battles quickly and handle multiple rounds in quick succession with the same Pokemon. An offensive play style, focused on bringing down opponents in the most efficient manner possible.

Really, apart from some bulky ones like Torterra, Blastoise and Venusaur, I’d imagine any of the Starters could play that role. But I had narrowed down my list to four.

Sceptile was probably the most interesting option and simultaneously the one I would probably not pick. It was true that it was fast, and it had good options due to a vast movepool which contained plenty of both physical and special moves. And, unlike its counterpart in the games, it did learn Nasty Plot which granted a boost to its Special Attacking ability. Unburden was also a fairly straightforward ability to work with.

The downside? It was a pure grass type with weaknesses to some very common types and without a gimmick good enough to justify using it over one of the better options. In addition to that, it was also dangerously frail. It was hard to hit, that was true, but if even a stray wind grazes it, it was definitely going to be having problems.

Its fellow Hoenn Starter, Blaziken was another option. Hits like a truck and can learn one of the most dangerous abilities both in game and in this new world in Speed Boost. It also can learn a solid set of moves thanks to its Fire-Fighting typing.

Greninja was another option. The fastest Starter I could get with really good coverage and one of the best abilities possible in Protean. Moreover the sheer variety of both Physical and Special moves Greninja had at its disposal should be illegal. Water Shuriken, Dark Pulse, Shadow Sneak, Dig, Power Up Punch, Gunk Shot, Extrasensory... the list seemed to go on and on.

But Greninja and Blaziken seemed to have similar problems. Their frailty. In fact, out of all my Starter Options, they were some of the weakest defensively. I couldn’t remember their exact stats in the games back home, but here at least, that was the case. While I didn’t need my Starter to be a tank, they should be able to take a hit or two and keep pushing.

Balanced Offensive. Or at least, that was what the online forums and articles called it. An all-round strong Pokemon focused on attacking and attacking consistently.

Which led me to my final choice.

I came to a halt. The Pokeball in front of me was suddenly intimidating. Ominous, even, in a way that I previously failed to realise. The creature within will be my partner and my main ally in this foreign land. I will have to care for it as it will have to care for me. For a Pokemon such care is instinctive, they will protect their guardian and their friend.

Me? I have never had a pet before. Or really even a close friend. Will I be sufficient for this Pokemon’s standards?

My hand did not shake as I reached out to the Pokeball, sitting quietly at the centre of the Fire Table. The device was cold to the touch, a sharp contrast with the being it contained. My fingers ran over its contours, as I touched the central button with my thumb, feeling its edge.

I turned to my left, finding space there as I pointed the Pokeball in front of me. It seemed to snap open at my action, a flash of light indicating the appearance of my Starter.

The creature in front of me was a bit smaller than I first realized. It was also warm and I could tell that from here. It blinked for a moment, scratching its behind in a very monkey-like action before realizing my presence. Immediately, it seemed to understand what was going on and its posture suddenly became more alert as it looked up at me. It seemed to try to emanate a sense of readiness and enthusiasm for the journey that came ahead.

To my eyes though, it was just adorable .

I knelt down on one knee to get closer to the small creature, and I offered it a hand. It approached, and there was hesitation in its motion as it did so, but it approached anyway. Its eyes were glowing as it examined my much larger hand. I leaned in and picked it up.

Its weight was the first thing I noticed, and it was something I wasn’t prepared for. My arm strained slightly as I raised it up and above me, but with a slight adjustment I could lift my Starter easily. It weighed roughly around the same amount as a human child. It- no, He. He was also warm to the touch, almost unbearably so, but the gloves I was wearing certainly helped. His shining eyes seem to glitter in the dim lights of the room.

‘He’s so young.’ I thought in wonder. ‘And I don’t think it's his physical age even. He must have been cooped up in here for so long.. He’s eager to see the world with a Trainer. Maybe even excited.’

I paused my train of thought. And went to a different matter.

Anyone’s first Pokemon is important, especially if you want to be successful in the Gym Circuit. Your first Pokemon is the de-facto leader of your Team. As the closest to the Trainer, and the longest member on one’s journey, it naturally takes stewardship of the team for the Trainer’s sake and whenever they aren’t available.

A Captain, if you will.
Huh. A Captain. And he’s a monkey.
At that moment, something seems to click.

“Chimchar. I’m weak,” I spoke to the Pokemon, who seemed startled by my sudden voice. “I’m probably weaker than anyone around right now. I want to be strong. Stronger than anyone else. I don’t want to lose at all, at least not until our journey reaches its end,” I paused. “I am going to be the strongest Trainer in the world. And it’s not going to be an easy road. Will you accompany me down this path?”

Chimchar chirped at my little speech, and he punched the air in enthusiasm.

“Then I have a nickname I would like to offer you,” I said as I let down my Starter on the table. “I’m going to make you the strongest among your species. Unmatched in every aspect. A King,” I said, a light smirk on my face. Chimchar tilted his head, slightly confused as to where I was going with this.

“What do you think about being called ‘Luffy’?”

A/N: And that’s that!

Chapters are being worked on right now, but I am going to take my time releasing them. I want to ensure this story is as good as I can make it to be.

Please review and comment. I would love to here criticism for my writing so that I can make improvements where needed.

Thanks to cat_and_crow from AO3 for beta-ing for me. You’ve been great help.

• Like 1

Another successful chapter my friend. I really how you made the Mc understand the pros and cons of being a pokemon trainers instead of rushing along with his understanding of the situation he is placed in. Also, I'm very happy you picked chimchar as the starter as Chimchar is my all time favorite pokemon starter along with calling him Luffy is just Icing on the Cake! Once, again can't wait for the next chapter!

I am so sorry, but I think I'm going to have to stop posting here. I already post this fic in three other places, and editing out my posts here is a bit of a pain. If you want to read this fic, go to Fanfiction.net or ArchiveOfOurOwn. I'll probably make a separate topic for this, and post links to each chapter there or some other system if anyone can suggest me something. 

Chapter 3 is probably going to come out in less than 12 hours. Just some last minute editing left.