super smash pokemon

derekwst3

I was thinking that super smash could go with only pokemon characters and work, the main problem they wouldn't be able to put all pokemon, or if they did many would be clones.

So the questions I ask

What pokemon/s would you like to see? And how would they work?

What items do you think will work in a pkmn smash?

What could be good stages, will there be special gimicks?

For me I think

Plusle and minum or volbeat and illuminis could be the team characters they would work simular to the iceclimbers. Another would be ditto, he would be the random character, the start of battle he will be a random pokemon

I have a few items that might work. First would be the mega stone, it would be used simular to the final smash, mega evolve any pokemon. Not all pokemon mega evolve so this is probally not going to work. Secound item would be pokeballs, they could be used to "capture" the enemy, the enemy must button mash to break out of the ball.(think simular to the ice shard)

Third potions. Like food it will heal pokemon damage. A silly idea tms, since we won't have pokemon coming out of balls (well maybe), I sugest tms to be thrown and a random attack will come out. Maybe poison gas, or flamethrower, or even explosion.

The stages I was thinking about would be different gyms, each gym will have its own hazards kogas gym (gen1) would have invisible walls that could change each time you enter the battle. Blaines could be a volcano stage.

I actually discussed this topic with mael quite often...

You got 3 things to consider...

1. Popularity; would someone want to play as said character?

2. Archtypes; every fighting game has archtypes... Rushdown, Tank, Grappler, Zoner, High Risk/high reward, ect

3. Diversity; is there variety in your roster

If you want more info on these topics, ask, I can give you more details later...

2. Archtypes; every fighting game has archtypes... Rushdown, Tank, Grappler, Zoner, High Risk/high reward, ect

If you want more info on these topics, ask, I can give you more details later...

I so freaking wish there were more people like you around the internet... In a few, simple words, a rational analyzis of the problem!

Speaking of which, the OP actually has two good ideas when it comes to both archetypes and diversity: in order to add to diversity, each and every fighting game usually a gimmick archetype and a random character. The recurring gimmick in Smash Bros games is apparently the twin theme, with characters such as the Ice Climbers playing on it, so Plusle and Minum would definitely fit! And Ditto pretty much books itself as the random character...

I will post some ideas of my own if/when I come up with some :)

Not gonna lie, every character in smash has been done in other fighting games either prior or after smash did it...

When I think Ice Climbers, I think of Carl Clover and his sister from Blazeblue or Zwei and Ein from Soul Calibur V...

Noob Saibot also did some simular things the ice climbers so in the Mortal Kombat Games

Ps: can't remember carl's sister's name to save my life atm...

Ps: can't remember carl's sister's name to save my life atm...

I don't remember her real name either, but her weaponized form is called Nirvana... And styline-wise she is actually booked to be one heck of a force to be reckoned with, she canonically handed Ragna's asset to him, leaving him badly wounded...

I am wondering if type should be tied to the archetype of the character, thing is as a person who doesn't play many fighting games I don't know what typically archetypes have innate advantages over others.

But as an example, Rock and Steel types would most likely be Tanky type characters. Big, slow easily predictable attacks that deal huge damage if they land. Fighting types would probably be the archetype that has an advantage over them. So while actual Super-Effective moves etc wouldn't really be happening, Pokemon that should have type advantage over another would logically have an advantage over that pokemon. Like we wouldn't expect a Blaziken to be at a disadvantage to an Aggron.

If I am not making a lot of sense, sorry lol. I am not the best at expressing what I am talking about when it comes to fighting games lol.

Ironicly its the other way around, tanks beat rushdown and combo happy characters...

There are 4 Major Categories of arch types, all rounded, Powerhouse, Speed, and Zoners

Power>Speed>Zoning>Power

Sometimes a character in a chategory will fulfill multiple archtypes...

All Rounded

1. Jack-Of-All-Trades: these characters are literally good at everything. They win by using their variety to their advantage. They lose by being bested in their weakness.

Examples: Mario(ssb), Ryu(sf), Jin Kazama(tekken)

2. Dood with Sword: these characters are slower up close and have an advantage over people with short arms.

Examples: Marth(ssb), Raiden(psas), Jin Kisaragi(bb

3. Mime: characters who fight using other character's fighting styles. Tend to lean more towards hard core variety, but can't take a hit well.

Examples: Kirby(ssb), Double(sg), Bartz(dissidia)

4. Multistance: powerful difficult to learn characters, tend to change their strengths and weaknesses dramaticly as they fight.

Examples: Pokemon Trainer(ssb), Amateratsu(MvC), Lei Wulong(tekken)

Power

1. Power House: some one that just flat out hits hard, don't take shit from no one and aren't always slow. gets beaten my characters who can outrun them.

Examples: Ike(ssb), Miguel(tekken), Siegfied(sc)

2. Tank: someone who absorbs hits as they fight, they are often slow and are beaten by characters who fight with a "keep away" playstyle. Smart tanks can destroy Speed characters.

Examples: Zangief(sf), Hulk(MvC), Potekimen(gg)

3. Grapplers: these characters are absolute monsters at close range and are absolute monsters at close range! They often lose to people who enjoy their distance.

Examples: Kanji Tatsumi(P4A), Chief Thunder(KI), Cerebella(sg)

4. Heavywieghts: Characters who are Huge and make their presence known to everyone! Beaten by characters who excell at combos

Examples: Donkey Kong(ssb), Hugo(sf), Astroth(sc)

5. Charge Characters: these characters may not be as big and strong as the rest of the archtypes in this chategory, but they hit harder than anyother characters... this is the only Power archtype that is sometimes beaten by speed.

Examples: Yukiko(P4A), Yuna(Dissidia), Lucas(ssb)

Speed

1. Rushdown: Characters who are always in your face applying pressure and never leave you alone. Often beaten by characters that welcome pressure like tanks and grapplers.

Examples: Valentine(SG), Akihiko(P4A), Sabrewulf(KI)

2. High Risk/High Reward: Characters who rely on risky manuevers, set ups, and combos to get things done.

Also tend to have a high learning curve, sometimes are glass cannons. These characters sometimes have lower damaging attacks or shorter ranged limbs. They are often beaten by tanks and characters with range.

Examples: Fox(ssb), C. Viper(SF), Phoenix(MvC)

3. Hit-and-Run: charaters who rely on spacing and are constantly running circles around you. Their main goals are to confuse you and "mix you up". Are beaten by characters with huge attacks that cover a lot of space.

Examples: Yosuke(P4A), Spider-man(MvC), Hazama(BB)

4. Fairies: Characters who are happiest in the air. They are often lightfooted and tend to bypass the strongest defences. Are beaten by heavy hitters.

Examples: Peach(ssb), Firebrand(MvC), Painwheel(sg)

5. Lightwieghts; characters with painfully small hitboxes and are dificult to hit or combo. But when you do hit them, they can be utterly destroyed.

Examples: Jigglypuff(ssb), Viewtiful Joe(mvc), Spike(psas)

Zoners

1. Ranged Fighters: characters with long arms or weapons such as chains or poles that fight by Poking you at a safe distances. Tend to lose to characters who get up in their faces and either apply a lot of pressure or plow through their attacks.

Examples: Ivy(sc), Ghost Rider(MvC), Dalsim(sf)

2. Keep-Away: characters who fight by running away and either shooting or throwing things at you, tend to be slow and can't take a hit well. Tend to lose to characters who can bypass their defence with ease.

Examples: Morrigan(MvC), Peacock(sg), Naoto(p4a)

3. Mid-Range: Characters who fight aggresivly and excell at limiting space using traps and projectiles. They tend to struggle with pressure.

Examples: Ratchet(psas), Samus(ssb), Storm(MvC)

4. Gimmick/Set-Up: Characters who annoy their opponents by setting up traps or literal walls to keep their opponents from attacking them. Then to struggle with characters who have lots of mobility.

Examples: Sackboy(psas), Rachel(bb), Viola(sc)

Oddball

This is the last category and consists of characters who just don't fit anywhere...

Examples: Olimar(ssb), Teddy(p4a), Phoenix Wright(mvc)

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of 'em are likely to be clones. But probably clones with different type advantages and weaknesses. And as far as implementing type matchups, it can be done with a bit extra damage % being done rather than going bonkers and do a full double or quadruple the damage. So that it becomes possible for an Aggron to hold its own against a Blaziken, but it's gonna rack up damage faster than it would fighting something else, and maybe be more vulnerable to flinching to certain attacks.

A lot of attacks would probably translate over pretty well. Most priority attacks would probably work like pikachu's currently existing quick attack or Ike's quickdraw- a speedy dashing attack that is more often used to close gaps than anything else. Sucker Punch and Counter would obviously work more or less the same as Marth's or Lucario's. Fliers will probably 'float' at normal character torso level and have many jumps (ala kirby, pit, jigglypuff) to gain altitude and initiate swooping and dive bombing attacks. Projectile moves can be done quite easily and have potential to work in different ways and directions, as exampled by ivysaur's razor leaf and bullet seed.

I'd imagine that there would also be some pokemon you wouldn't be able to play as due to size/power constraints, but would probably work well as bosses. We've already fought Rayquaza in Brawl, and Onix is a pretty big, serpentine pokemon that would probably be better as ai controlled boss fight than a playable character that would have crazy reach advantage.

One of the more interesting things would be variable movesets for each pokemon, giving each person their own fighting style even if they're using the same pokemon. For example, Blaziken could potentially use both high jump kick and blaze kick, or just use one and augment type and attack styles with fire punch or brick break.

Variety... you could easily have an infernape and blaziken with the same moveset, but they would still feel different because their heights, their jump, their speed, their hitbox wouldn't be the same. Hell, even the same move might have a different execution based on the pokemon using it. Think of Mario's fireballs vs Luigi's.

I can even see leveling up pokemon and assigning neutral EV points to stats to customize a character. SpD and Def to decrease damage taken, HP to reduce knockback at higher damage, and Atk/Spc Atk to boost the effectiveness of moves you like using.

Plenty of moves that can serve as default 3rd jumps, Up+B. Sky uppercut, Bounce, Waterfall, Fly, Flare Blitz (basically, Fox's up+B), etc.

It would add depth and extended playability to the game if you have to fight to level up and unlock new moves/pokemon to use. I've always likened it to unlocking weapons for characters in SC.

or dissidia,

i personally am not a fan of the type advantages, those actually existed in Brawl for Red's pokemon

i can also see Blaziken fighting like Hworang from Tekken