Which one is your least favorite?

What ideas do you have for gimmicks?

I'll start:

I love Battle Bonds

I hate Z-Moves

I don't have any ideas YET

Edited by IcyFlame
  • Like 2

That sounds pretty fun! I would love to share some ideas while we're at it!

Favorite gimmick: Crystal Form

The fact that your Pokemon can adopt another type can help to benefit from STAB while being immune or resistant to super-effective moves. It brings ideas to a wide range of team compositions and adds more dynamics to fights in my opinion.

Least favorite gimmick: Dynamax

Double the health of Pokemon while adding more strength and (sometimes) effects to move. I understand why some people like it, but to me, this is one of the least inspiring feature among all the gimmicks we had until now.

Personal gimmick idea: Glitch Form

When a Pokemon adopt the Glitch Form, its original type is replaced by the Glitch type. This increases Pokémon's defense and special defense by one stage, as well as changing the type of their offensive moves to Glitch type. While transformed into a glitch version of themselves, all the attacks used against Glitch Pokemon are neutrally effective. When a Glitch Pokémon is hit by a move that makes contact, there is a guarenteed chance that the attacking Pokémon will receive a random stauts effect. As for the Pokemon transformed, all of their offensive moves are neutrally effective but never miss and all of them have a guarenteed chance to inflict a random status effect to the target. The Pokemon reverts to its original type after three turns or if it's switched out.

• Like 2

I'll give this a try as well:

Favorite:

I'll be the basic guy on this: Mega Evolution

Least Favorite:

Gigantamax/Dynamax

My own idea:

Cosmic Forms:

This is less of a gimmick, my of something similar to a cross between Regional Variants and Paradox Pokemon.

Allow me to explain:

Pokemon, like Magikarp or Typhlosion, with different appearances/Typings and whatnot, and, heres the kicker, they're from another planet! Free for young, aspiring fangame makers to use, 'cause I'm not going to, lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dark Warrior said:

My own idea:

Cosmic Forms:

This is less of a gimmick, my of something similar to a cross between Regional Variants and Paradox Pokemon.

Allow me to explain:

Pokemon, like Magikarp or Typhlosion, with different appearances/Typings and whatnot, and, heres the kicker, they're from another planet! Free for young, aspiring fangame makers to use, 'cause I'm not going to, lol.

Interesting... Could they also be from other universes too? Its a cool concept, and an improvement could be new types that don't exist in our world

2 hours ago, Q-Jei said:

Personal gimmick idea: Glitch Form

When a Pokemon adopt the Glitch Form, its original type is replaced by the Glitch type. This increases Pokémon's defense and special defense by one stage, as well as changing the type of their offensive moves to Glitch type. While transformed into a glitch version of themselves, all the attacks used against Glitch Pokemon are neutrally effective. When a Glitch Pokémon is hit by a move that makes contact, there is a guarenteed chance that the attacking Pokémon will receive a random stauts effect. As for the Pokemon transformed, all of their offensive moves are neutrally effective but never miss and all of them have a guarenteed chance to inflict a random status effect to the target. The Pokemon reverts to its original type after three turns or if it's switched out.

Thats really cool! So, do you have a backstory/origin story for the gimmick, or is it like Mega Evolution, where it just exists with no explanation?

Here’s mine :

Favorite : Dynamax/Gigantamax

-> Reason : Durability and powerful moves with superpowered secondary effects.

Least favorite : Z-Move

-> Reason : Useful but not infinite

My own idea :

Chaos Evolution :

One of the most powerful gimmicks. It lasts until the battle is over and is way deadlier than other gimmicks. It only activates if a Pokemon has Chaos Drive Bar maxed (Which is 500). Chaos Drive Bar can be charged by dealing damage to the target. When a Pokemon deals damage to the target, Chaos Drive Bar recharges with half of the damage dealt. (150 HP damage => 75 ChDr Charge)

Only few Pokemons are capable of obtaining Chaos evolution.

A Pokemon who’s Chaos Evolved changes not only appearance but the current type to Chaos type as every type moves (not counting Chaos types) are less effective to it. However, every damaging moves gains STAB and bypasses accuracy check.

Even abilities (like Mega Launcher get replaced by Aura Control, one of the abilities only Chaos Pokemon can have) and base stats (including HP which will always be doubled) will be altered as well.

Every moves with secondary effect will have Serene Grace effect. (Like Scald will have 60% chance of burning the target, instead of 30%).

Chaos type move can be used and it’s considered to act like Pokemon’s fifth move but can be used once.

That’s all I have to say.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SolareInferno said:

Chaos Evolution :

One of the most powerful gimmicks. It lasts until the battle is over and is way deadlier than other gimmicks. It only activates if a Pokemon has Chaos Drive Bar maxed (Which is 500). Chaos Drive Bar can be charged by dealing damage to the target. When a Pokemon deals damage to the target, Chaos Drive Bar recharges with half of the damage dealt. (150 HP damage => 75 ChDr Charge)

Only few Pokemons are capable of obtaining Chaos evolution.

A Pokemon who’s Chaos Evolved changes not only appearance but the current type to Chaos type as every type moves (not counting Chaos types) are less effective to it. However, every damaging moves gains STAB and bypasses accuracy check.

Even abilities (like Mega Launcher get replaced by Aura Control, one of the abilities only Chaos Pokemon can have) and base stats (including HP which will always be doubled) will be altered as well.

Every moves with secondary effect will have Serene Grace effect. (Like Scald will have 60% chance of burning the target, instead of 30%).

Chaos type move can be used and it’s considered to act like Pokemon’s fifth move but can be used once.

That’s all I have to say.

Thats... terrifying... 

Cool idea.

• Like 1

Hello, people of this thread!

Finally came up with a gimmick, here it is:

Awakened Modes!

Allow me to introduce you to the concept:

This ONLY works for fully evolved Pokemon

Once Awakened, you cannot switch out, or be switched out, unless you faint.

When a Pokemon holding an Awakening Shard is reduced to half health or under, their Defense, Special Defense, and Speed become maxed out., and they become their singular, primary type.. They also get a cool colored energy covering them. the colors depend on the primary type:

Spoiler

Water: Dark Blue

Grass: Dark Green

Fire: Red

Ground: Tan

Electric: Yellow

Ice: Pale Blue

Steel: Silver

Dark: Black

Rock: Brown

Fairy: Light Pink

Psychic: Magenta

Bug: Light Green

Ghost: Dark Purple

Fighting: Orange

Normal: White

Dragon: Gold

Poison: Light Purple

Flying: Sky Blue

They keep their ability, but if I can come up with an ability for every type, I will.

When I say it "covers" them, I mean it flairs of them, and its also not just the solid color, but it has various shades of that color..its also kinda like a Chakra Mode, from Naruto. I just took the look, and made it Pokemon. I'm using this for my Pokemon fangame, btw.

Please give feedback, I'm also going to post this in another thread.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, IcyFlame said:

Interesting... Could they also be from other universes too? Its a cool concept, and an improvement could be new types that don't exist in our world

I mean, I guess. I don't really care who improves on it, cause like I said, I'm not using it.

I'm kind of in the minority on this, but I dislike mega evolution.

I understand it's nice for underpowered Pokemon to get a buff like Glalie, Beedrill and Mawile, but a lot of the time it's for pokemon that are already good like Tyranitar and Mewtwo. The designs of the megas are never as good as the base pokemon with like 1 or 2 exceptions (Absol and Mawile). They just add more and overcomplicate what are already good designs. Plus the additional lore added in generation 7's dex entries for megas makes me not want to do it in the first place.

My favorite is actually Z moves though it's more on a personality level. It's really cute seeing the characters demonstrate the moves and poses and the over the top animations and move names are hilarious. I feel like Z moves fits Pokemon's tone and identity more than megas. Non-damaging Z moves also have a lot of room for interesting strategies, I have a few funky ones planned for bosses in the fangame I'm currently planning out.

I also quite like totem pokemon as a boss gimmick and I had an idea a while ago for my own spin on it. I had an idea floating around in my head for a game set in the future where all of the pokemon in the world are trapped in cyberspace in the pc system and you have to venture into cyberspace to save them. I was thinking about a boss gimmick where you fight pokemon that are corrupted data and have different types, moves, buffed stats, and so on.

I dropped it cause my ideas became way too ambitious but I really like boss gimmicks like that.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 7:04 PM, IcyFlame said:

Thats really cool! So, do you have a backstory/origin story for the gimmick, or is it like Mega Evolution, where it just exists with no explanation?

Basically, there was no backstory behind the Glitch Form, but your curiosity made me want to create one! In fact, this is a tricky story that involves the professor of a distant region, a secret project consisting in bringing a second (or should I say "improved") life to Pokemon stored in PCs and a side project whose purpose is to "give birth" to a human-like antivirus able to deal with any type of cyber attacks (Malwares, ransonwares, trojans, hijacking, etc...). But things aren't going as expected. One stormy night, the lightning hit the house of the professor, causing the professor's PC to shut down as it was in the middle of a backup procedure. I let you imagine what could have happened next.

To summarize, there was nothing intentional behind the "creation" of the Glitch Form: this is the result of an accident.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

My favorite: Mega

Reason: I really like how they look. Simple I know.

My least favorite: crafting/cooking

Reason: I don't really like finding things to cool or craft in PKM games. Sure, it was fun on Sun/Moon by feeding the pokemon, but that's it. owo

My idea: none