Mono grass reccomendations for Elite 4/Lin

cakeofdoom

Hey I've finally reached the Elite 4 in my mono-grass run. I'm trying to come up with what pokemon to bring, so I'd like to hear what any of you think. Maybe some of you have already done a mono-grass run and know what's good.

So far I'm definitely bringing the following two:

Ferrothorn:

- Very tough and hits like a truck. Is one of the only grass types you can safely switch into flying types. Can beat up fairy-types and stall out guys with toxic if needed. 

Mega Sceptile:

- Very fast, best counter against dragon types I've got, so I think it's a must have for Elias and Lin's Garchomp and Hydregion. I think giving it secret power rock could also be useful.

I'm more unsure of the following:

Breloom

- Technician and choice band makes a strong priority mach punch, but I'm afraid it might have outlived it's usefulness, because it is very frail, so it dies if it doesn't take out whatever it's up against.

I could also bring a sun-team chlorophyll package:

Whimsicott:

- With prankster it's guaranteed to set up sun, can also paralyze with stun spore, but otherwise it's very frail and even with max sp.atk. it doesn't deal much damage.

Leavanny:

- My current one is max attack and with a good investment in HP, under sun it can really set up on special attackers, because it is quite bulky. But I don't know how often that might come up. It also has sticky web, which might be useful.

Exeggutor:

- Pretty useless without sun, but can pack quite a punch. Sadly there aren't a lot of mons weak to grass in the Elite 4, so it might not be that good.

Venusaur:

- Pretty strong, but I don't know how usefull it's going to be. Sludge bomb can help with fairy types, sleep powder might also help beat some mons.

My biggest problem is that I am very weak against steel types. Breloom can deal with some, but I'm very afraid of Anna's Mega Metagross and Lin's Celesteela, since I Breloom definitely can't beat them. I'm also weak to fire-types, but there aren't a lot of those in the Elite 4, so I don't think I need to bring any counters.

What do you think might be useful?

1 hour ago, Vanitas said:

I'm not sure how weatherball works in Reborn, but if your thinking about a sun team it might help against steel pkmn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh yeah! I remember thinking about weatherball in the beginning of my run, but I forgot all about it. It's definitely stronger than using secret power: fire haha. Thanks for the suggestion. Though I would have to use Roserade or Victreebell, of which Victreebell is probably the better choice.

Roserade can be really useful to counter Steel Type Pokemon. Combine Technician with Hidden Power Fire and you should be able to sweep some of them when the weather is sunny. Maybe you already know that, but it's now possible to modify the type of Hidden Power at Agate Circus! I would have gladly recommend you to use Ludicolo to defend yourself against Fire Types, but since your strategy seems to mainly rely on Sunny Day, maybe you could opt for Hidden Power Rock/Ground or Earthquake instead (If you're patient enough to achieve the starter egg quest of course). Sceptile could be a good candidate for moves like these since it's the fastest Grass Pokemon available once mega-evolved and don't need to have Chlorophyll as an ability to outspeed its opponents! If you like taking risks, you can possibly replace Venusaur with Torterra and teach Exeggutor Trick Room, so you can take care of Fire/Steel types Pokemon with Earthquake while dealing with Fairy Types by using Iron Head.

I hope this helps 🙂

PS: During weather conditions, Weather Ball's power doubles from 50 to 100, which is indeed more interesting than HP Fire, but still very situational. Since some field effect will prevent weather and Field Effects from being generated (Wink at you New World Field (╹◡╹)凸), HP Fire remains a flexible option to consider for Roserade.