6SB2- Resizing Gen V Backsprites

Amethyst

• Administrators

So I had a terrible realization hours ago and the long and short of it is that we need to replace all existing back sprites in the game

awesome.

Here's how to help:

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/backsprites.zip

That's a collection of all existing back sprites- each of those files needs two modifcations:

1- They need to be taken to a 2x resolution while keeping transparency.

In order to do this, open in Graphics Gale > All Frames > Resample > 200% > Smooth is not checked

Be sure they save with the transparency. The option for this is available when you choose Save As, but if it's already checked, a normal Ctrl+S will keep it.

2- They need to be renamed.

In most cases, this just means putting a 'b' at the end of the file name. "1.png" -> "1b.png"

However, for the female sprites, it needs to be 'fb' instead.

For alternate forms, the alternate form would be titled "1b_1.png" ..._2, _3, etc for multiple forms.

When you have all (or as many as you intend to contribute) done, zip up all the files, (7-zip is good if you don't know how to do that) and upload them somewhere (such as Mediafire or another file-hosting service) and post the link here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

• Administrators

Looks good to me!

@ Garchomp I really don't know about spriting in photoshop, sorry.

Apparently it's not as bad as I think it is, but I would still highly recommend Graphics Gale. Free download and all and the program was made for spriting.

-is revived-

Phew! And here I thought we'd have to do all the sprites in Gen IV-style.

This is a breath of fresh air here: I can do this en masse.

The one thing I can't do is mass-renaming. If anybody knows a method that can append the b to file names, let me know.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3q458o

These would be all the male backsprites, resized to 2x.

A few notes:

These have not been renamed. On a similar note: these don't include the shinies. That's because they weren't included in the pack, so if you've got them, kindly let me know.

Durant is probably still invisible, unless that was fixed in Episode 10. (Not a Durant user, you understand.)

Positioning is still required.

The previous backsprite file is 160x160 pixels. The new one is 192x192 px. Please account for this.

You can't give the fancy ♂ symbol to a file you upload to Sendspace without the server staring at it in confusion. (This was a personal note, but whatever.)

This last note is very important: 2x doesn't match up cleanly with what's in the game files.

Here's both the Snivy backsprite and the one I resized, both viewed at 100%:

50250f16582d6b4437357f606e8e15d0.png

We might need to go as far as 3x for certain Pokémon, but I'm not a fan of this idea. It'll produce inconsistencies.

Beyond that? Well, if nobody's done the renaming thing, I'll attempt to do my research into automating the process just as I did for these. This might point you in the right direction:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18383697/batch-add-string-into-filename-before-suffix

• Administrators

These have not been renamed. On a similar note: these don't include the shinies. That's because they weren't included in the pack, so if you've got them, kindly let me know.

This last note is very important: 2x doesn't match up cleanly with what's in the game files.

Here's both the Snivy backsprite and the one I resized, both viewed at 100%:

50250f16582d6b4437357f606e8e15d0.png

We might need to go as far as 3x for certain Pokémon, but I'm not a fan of this idea. It'll produce inconsistencies.

Beyond that? Well, if nobody's done the renaming thing, I'll attempt to do my research into automating the process just as I did for these. This might point you in the right direction:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18383697/batch-add-string-into-filename-before-suffix

You do realize this does not include shiny versions of all back sprites Ame?

Much thanks, Manes.

For the shiny thing, I deliberately disincluded them- after all, we're redoing the shiny sprites anyway so we can just edit these sprites.

The discrepancy in sizing is exactly why we have to redo everything. It should stay 2x

Alright Ame, help me help you. Whenever I open a PNG file in this program, it opens with black filling the null space. In turn when I try to save it, any black on the actual sprite becomes null space and it looks like a mosaic.

Alpha channel issue... Very annoying, it's why I detest saving anything with 0 or 100 brightness; because that happens. It can be kind of tricky to unravel and often depends on the graphic in question but since these were auto-resized it seems like we're not going to need to deal with it for now. If it becomes a problem in the future I can write up some solutions.