I stole this

Maelstrom

from some post somewhere. if not from here, then from MP or WoA. I did my own a long time ago, but never posted it. Then found it again while browsing thru my folder of unused desktop stuffs.

This exercise asks you to write a self-portrait, following specific directions. The constraints of the directions may help you to discover new aspects of yourself since you are following sentence-level prompts even as you develop your content. Following these prompts keeps you from directing your observations in familiar, perhaps predictable ways. This is not just a sentence writing exercise, it is a way for you to let others know more about you. And, just maybe, it is a way for you go get to know more about yourself.

Directions:
1. Picture yourself in your mind.
2. For a title, choose an emotion or color that represents yourself. You will not mention your name in the writing.
3. For a first line starter, choose one of the following: "You stand there..." "No one is here..." "In this (item) you are..." "I think sometimes..." "The face is..." "We had been..." Complete this sentence.
4. After your first sentence, build a portrait of yourself, writing the sentences according to the following directions:
-Sentence 2: Write a sentence with a color in it.
-Sentence 3: Write a sentence with a part of the body in it.
-Sentence 4: Write a sentence with a simile.
-Sentence 5: Write a sentence of over twenty-five words.
-Sentence 6: Write a sentence in under eight words.
-Sentence 7: Write a sentence with a piece of clothing in it.
-Sentence 8: Write a sentence with a wish in it.
-Sentence 9: Write a sentence with an animal in it.
-Sentence 10: Write a sentence in which 3 or more words alliterate.
-Sentence 11: Write a sentence with two commas in it. (Use them correctly.)
-Sentence 12: Write a sentence with a smell or color in it. (It could be the same color you used earlier or a different one.)
-Sentence 13: Write another sentence with a simile.
-Sentence 14: Write a sentence that could use an exclamation point (but don't use the exclamation point).
-Sentence 15: Write a sentence to end this portrait that uses the word or words you chose for a title.

-------------------------------------------------

Solid

No one is here, but that’s not unusual. If the deep black can hide that which I fear, it can hide me too. I sit, arms wrapped around my legs. Like water in the storm winds, my mind froths, turning one way and then another. Finding no peace in half answers and hard truths, I command my mind be still- the best is yet to come if I but find the part of me that is not easily released, if it exists. I hope it does. My shirt hangs loosely about me. And yet I hope that someone would be able to see through it, to the true form it obscures. I wish that for once that my weakness be seen… and have it not matter. Like a dog waiting for a worthy master, I wait forever. The time to try is always at hand, but dare I take the chance? I watch chance fade, afraid to fail, afraid to lose. Her perfume is heady, but it cannot hope to boil the ice in my veins. Like a beast, they say, but what beast is afraid of his prey? Am I really as devoid of speech as any beast? Better than most, but never the best, I am solid… on the outside.

• Administrators
Solitary

No one is here, and that's exactly how it should be. There is a self, standing alone, isolated in the embrace of a black sea's abyss. Lusting for the ice, the dark and coldness at the ocean's bottom, a heart is sunk, frozen in the depths forevermore. Like the ship's anchor, there it lies. Though it may be lifted by the strongest of men, the best-steeled of chains, the most powerful of vessels, it does not- and will never move. So it rests, until time's end. It sits among the junk and other fallen garbage- empty jugs, worn boots and the broken lumber o'erthrown in storms. There, it only wishes to stay. The heart of a lone wolf sits there, among its kin. It sits, silently sinking into the soft sand of the sea-bed and the solace brought in a breaking spirit no longer bound to the blight of a solitary being. To be alone was not such a terrible thing, it found, and on the contrary was in fact... highly preferable. To be in the company of others is to stare into a bright white light. But as light is said to be greater than the darkness, to one not used to it the sting is off-putting, and like so, this was cast away in shock. That's exactly how it should be. It must stay alone, isolated, and solitary.

Oops, my inner-emo kid is showing.

Loneliness

He stands there, alone; wishing more than anything for something to be beside him. He searches, trying to find something to comfort him, but shadows tint everything black. Nothing is there to hold out its hand for him, to give him something to hold on to. He sighs, more hollow than an empty bottle, and shuts his eyes. He reflects on himself, his life, looks at his triumphs and shortcomings, wonders if he even is worth anything, and hopes more than anything that he'll find something to love. To cherish and trust. He shivers, although he has a coat on. He desires, he wishes more than anything just to find something to make his life worthwhile. His heart heatedly races, hurting from the pain he has been trapped in for so long. He whispers something to the shade, hoping anything while hear his call, but no one does but himself. He stares up into the sky, a deep grey canvas that stretches infinitely, and continues to hope. Hope treats him like a friend, always there, but it promises nothing. He stands silently for one last moment, and then suddenly races away as fast as he can. He flees, escaping everything except the loneliness that clings to him eternally.

I second Ame.