Building a TTRPG experience, highly inspired by Reborn & Rejuvenation

Sholla

I recently snatched up Rejuvenation on the side from here on a whim. I played Reborn ages ago, and returning to the site to find an all-new, MASSIVE game waiting was the greatest Christmas present of all time.

So essentially, I do a lot of DMing for D&D groups off of reddit, and I've hosted roleplay servers on discord for Pokemon before, as well, and ultimately came to a conclusion that with some effort I could maybe throw something together for a campaign that hit the same beats as Reborn & Rejuv. The problem was, I wasn't quite a fan of the existing PTU and PO tabletop systems.

What I'm up to, and what I'm also recruiting for at the moment, is for players, spectators, and just general interested parties in playing or discussing a system that utilizes Pokemon Showdown as part of the campaign's action economy in combat. There's of course a lot more to it - I've been slapping together mechanics, classes, skills, and generally making a ramshackle system akin to 5e in some ways to incorporate this idea. There's plenty of dice rolling and activity for players to do aside from loading up Showdown to grind Audinos. The setting I built for testing this in also has a rich history, characters, a plotline, and above all - it's explorable. It's fully mapped out, and about 40% of it has been precisely statted out for what kinds of Pokemon appear around there and what level they are. I'm just seeking folks that are curious about it, really!

The reddit post that contains the blurb for selling the idea both as a game and an experiment is right here if you're interested. It's got a little google form attached to it for players signing up, too.

That aside, do you guys think this is a good idea? Have you felt the need to create your own Pokemon regions before? Do you think Pokemon is doomed to fail as a TTRPG?