New to Modding, Have Some Questions

Eldritch-Crabbo

Hello! As the title says, I've just started working on modding Reborn myself. I've seen a lot of people explaining how to install mods and such, but no tutorials seem to exist for creating mods. (Unless I'm just blind and skipped over something while digging around all afternoon and evening lol) I'm trying to add some abilities, change types, etc. I've got the PBS files and the PokemonMultipleForms script done and working in RPGMaker...

My questions now are:

How do I save all this in such a way that I could drop it into a normal copy of Reborn like other mods on here?

Would I be able to make it compatible with other mods? (I think I remember seeing somewhere that overwriting the scripts.rxdata is a no-no.)

Any help would be appreciated as I start my journey working with Reborn, and eventually making my own fan game. (I figured modding would be a good first step into figuring out RPGMaker and Pokemon Essentials stuff) :)

Hi!
You can open the .rb files in most mods with a text editor (anything from notepad++ to vscode etc will work just fine).

When you do you can see functions and classes, with the same names as the ones you can see when opening the game's scripts in RPGMaker.

That's intended - these mods work by "monkey patching" the game's scripts, which simply means that the functions in the mod files overwrite any function with the same name in the base game.

There's a limit to how far you can go with this method and some functions are slightly harder to replace (e.g. the Kernel ones), but you can edit pretty much anything in the game.

In case you need help with the scripting language itself, it's called "Ruby", and there's plenty of tutorials online to get started and understand how to use it.

Good luck!