Pokemon Fusions War! Fan Animation (3D OC)

BellBlitzKing

Only one thing's bothering me, it's the pacing of the shots and general camera movement: it's like I'm watching the video at 0.75 speed. Fight scenes are supposed to be snappy, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at a showcase or an dynamic animation sequence. I guess what I'm saying boils down to "I'm whining because I wanted it to be more fast-paced".

The SFX are really good, how'd you make them? Same goes with the lighting to some extent. The models' key poses are fun, showy and easy to read, and it shows in the animation. Try to give some extra attention to your in-betweens, because it's especially hard to translate weight and momentum in 3D animation. 

I'm guessing you took the base models from a site similar to vg-resources, then remodeled, added some geometry and redid the textures? If you're willing to explain your workflow, that be cool.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2020 at 10:53 AM, Promethe said:

Only one thing's bothering me, it's the pacing of the shots and general camera movement: it's like I'm watching the video at 0.75 speed. Fight scenes are supposed to be snappy, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at a showcase or an dynamic animation sequence. I guess what I'm saying boils down to "I'm whining because I wanted it to be more fast-paced".

The SFX are really good, how'd you make them? Same goes with the lighting to some extent. The models' key poses are fun, showy and easy to read, and it shows in the animation. Try to give some extra attention to your in-betweens, because it's especially hard to translate weight and momentum in 3D animation. 

I'm guessing you took the base models from a site similar to vg-resources, then remodeled, added some geometry and redid the textures? If you're willing to explain your workflow, that be cool.

@Promethe, thanks for your feedback! I can elaborate on the workflow for sure. Yes, showcase was more the mindset on this project for the characters and VFX.

1) "SFX, how'd you make them?" - SineVFX Studio and Hovl Studio VFX Packs with many edits/combinations of their Unity effects. For example Hovl's Orb Pack 4 includes a Rasengan Shuriken particle effect. I combined that with a rasenshurken 3D high poly model + light glows + bloom + small wind cyclones. Emulating the anime!

2) "Snappy Fight scenes, Good key poses, More In-betweens" - 100% agree with you! Secret limit here is animations are extracted from the Sun/Moon/Ultra games! Pacing of animations in-game fits the slower paced Attack-Wait-Animate-WatchVFX mold. Thank Nintendo for poses. I selected what I thought was more impactful. You can get the animations using SPICA. (see this post).

3) "Redid Textures"VG Resource includes many of the models/textures. I updated/rebuilt many of the textures to get higher quality. Originals only reach 256x256 but the Sword/Shield versions go up to 512x512. The JoJo/All Might Machamps were the toughest to do, 1028px. If you mod the textures, they can fit any of the models from Sun/Moon/Sword/Shield and also Let's Go games.

4) "Added Geometry" - Unity3D allows combing/editing geometry. Look at the Blaziken (Gold Armor) and Bisharp (Black Armor). The Armors is the actual geometry from the golden Magnamon and the BlackWarGreymon models from the Digimon games. I adjusted, resized and edited pieces of their armors to fit the Pokemon, then tested it with the animations on. It's fun.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 1:05 PM, BellBlitzKing said:

@Promethe, thanks for your feedback! I can elaborate on the workflow for sure. Yes, showcase was more the mindset on this project for the characters and VFX.

1) "SFX, how'd you make them?" - SineVFX Studio and Hovl Studio VFX Packs with many edits/combinations of their Unity effects. For example Hovl's Orb Pack 4 includes a Rasengan Shuriken particle effect. I combined that with a rasenshurken 3D high poly model + light glows + bloom + small wind cyclones. Emulating the anime!

2) "Snappy Fight scenes, Good key poses, More In-betweens" - 100% agree with you! Secret limit here is animations are extracted from the Sun/Moon/Ultra games! Pacing of animations in-game fits the slower paced Attack-Wait-Animate-WatchVFX mold. Thank Nintendo for poses. I selected what I thought was more impactful. You can get the animations using SPICA. (see this post).

3) "Redid Textures"VG Resource includes many of the models/textures. I updated/rebuilt many of the textures to get higher quality. Originals only reach 256x256 but the Sword/Shield versions go up to 512x512. The JoJo/All Might Machamps were the toughest to do, 1028px. If you mod the textures, they can fit any of the models from Sun/Moon/Sword/Shield and also Let's Go games.

4) "Added Geometry" - Unity3D allows combing/editing geometry. Look at the Blaziken (Gold Armor) and Bisharp (Black Armor). The Armors is the actual geometry from the golden Magnamon and the BlackWarGreymon models from the Digimon games. I adjusted, resized and edited pieces of their armors to fit the Pokemon, then tested it with the animations on. It's fun.

Thanks! It's always fun to see how different artists tackle different challenges. The process is as fundamental as the rest, I'd say.