Planning a professor Oak challenge in reborn!

peden

Hey guys, I was thinking about giving the professor Oak challenge a go in pokemon reborn. The challenge basically means you have to make the pokedex as full as possible before each gym. The only rule I have tampered with is that I will not go beyond the level cap to evolve for the pokedex (since I am a human unable to grind for a decade or so). 

So the point of this post was to hear if anyone had done something similar and how to plan something like this? 

Especially how to handle the events with a chance of multiple different pokemon?

Wish me luck guys, cause this run is gonna take time 🙂

• 2 months later...

I realize this is a little late but as someone who has done Prof Oak challenges for most of the main games and am now starting on Insurgence I highly recommend playing through the story normally once or twice and try to make a general guide for yourself as you go through such as what places give the most exp, where all rare candies can be, and especially for this game how and under what conditions (weather and time) to complete all of the events. Combining this information with online resources which truly are your best friend for these kind of challenges will really help you to be confident and thorough once you begin. Make sure you are confident about your game plan because if you happen to miss something because it only had a 1% encounter rate or you just forgot about it and having to restart would really suck.

kinda late but you can do this challenge without the level cap rule as you can collect rare candies from pick up pokemon and not hurt your run. but the problem is the julia section of the game is gonna be hard but after julia section you can start buying rare candies from the sweet shop easy to farm up money with pick up team of meowth+payday and the money you get from repeatable trainers. you will need to make your pick up mons level 21 at the start and the drop rate of candies is very rare so i think it is about 1% which means you will be doing a hell lot of grinding.  Ekans.spinarak,finneon,goldeen,pidgey,noibat(the biggest annoying thing),starter(totodile), blitzle, joltik,cherubi,teddiursa,stunky,pineco,meowth,gulpin,grimer,combee(finiding a female combee is the hard part),trubbish,whismur,tynamo,surskit and espurr are the hard once. well cause they evolve above level 20 but you can switch train them or vs the doubles couple and park them beside a mon which can atk. you will need a lot of common candies also. personally i think kricketune with fury cutter and struggle bug should be able to handle/solo the double battles npc in grand hall.

If you avoid thunderstorm weather you can avoid tynamo,blitzle and surkit. but idk if this is allowed but technically if you do not get the weather you cannot catch these mons. grinding should not be an issue as there are repeatable trainers to battle in grand hall and they are infinite but i would avoid thunderstorm weather cause tynamo is the 2nd hardest thing to grind the most hardest is obviously noibat.  other things you should avoid is getting joltik as that is far harder to train than grubin i would soft reset if i get joltik as i am not stronk enuf to handle joltik+noibat+whismur in the same run but if you are a hardcore man than go ahead.

I have been planning the run so basically this is the early game (julia section)strategy i would go for:

1) set clock for night to check for joltik( soft reset if you get joltik)  

2) soft reset if u get any form of rainy weather coming up in 2 days or the week cause once you hit the rainy weather you will have to add 3 extra mons to the grind

3) Catch and Train up 6 pick up meowth to level 21 for rare candy/item farming(pokesnacks helps with budew,igglybuff,woobat)

4) Rush train the gift krickatot to kricketune.

5) Do story with mons which gain exp slowly IE the slow/medium slow exp growth rate pokemon.

6) Choose totodile as starter duh 

You only need to plan for before julia if you want to go over level cap and really complete the oak challenge. After julia is easy as you can buy rare candies. wish you all the best and good luck.