VGC 2017 Inspired Team?

Anthalt

Hi Everyone,

With a quarantine in effect in my city I have returned to Reborn to pass some time... but I am very rusty and have been struggling on team construction (honestly I was never very good to begin with). I wanted to know if this idea would be viable and playable in reborn (since it's the hardest Pokemon game I have ever played and you can't just pick your favourite Pokemon and hope for a win).

The team was inspired by the VCG 2017 AFK core; Arcanine, Tapu Fini, and Kartana; often backed up by a Garchomp, Snorlax, and Gigalith, but since obviously some of those Pokemon aren't available, and some I don't like I changed things around a little. I won't go into too much detail on the sets themselves, but I would love to hear people's opinions on whether this is a playable team given how hard Reborn is:

Primarina - Calm Mind Special Sweeper

Arcanine - Bulky (maybe?) Physical Sweeper

Flygon - Physical Sweeper

Spiritomb - Defensive Tank

Type: Null - Defensive Tank

Ferrothorn - Rock and Spike Setter

From a type coverage standpoint both offensive and defensive, I think it covers everything I need. It has decent mix of roles, though is definitely a little heavy on physical damage over special. Does this team actually have what it takes to make in in Reborn? Help and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Hello!

Your team is great! Quite the bulky one and it's a good choice in Reborn, especially in double battles. If you play vanilla, you will obtain most of your members in middle game, except Ferrothorn who is very late. But don't worry, entry hazards ain't necessary to beat the game.

As for movepools, Calm Mind isn't available yet but for trying it myself, Primarina is good enough with regular items. The other should get some utily moves and it will get fine!

30 minutes ago, Des Teto said:

Hello!

Your team is great! Quite the bulky one and it's a good choice in Reborn, especially in double battles. If you play vanilla, you will obtain most of your members in middle game, except Ferrothorn who is very late. But don't worry, entry hazards ain't necessary to beat the game.

As for movepools, Calm Mind isn't available yet but for trying it myself, Primarina is good enough with regular items. The other should get some utility moves and it will get fine!

Yay! That's great news! I can fill the Ferrothorn gap with something else bulky like Cradily for the time being.

Just realized I am missing a defense against flying types... do I drop Type Null for something else slow and bulky buit with some actual coverage like Ampharos?... though then I have a big hole in my ghost defenses... not that Type:Null does much against ghosts...

Edit: Also... couldn't I breed calm mind off of Woobat onto Primarina since they are both field types... or am I crazy?

Infortunately, I don't think breeding Primarina with Woobat will work since Calm Mind is a TM move, not an egg move. EDIT: Actually, Calm Mind Primarina is Gen 8 and this game will remain Gen 7 until the end.

Between Type Null and Ampharos... why not both? Team rotation is funny if you want to adapt to bad matchups. Keep in mind that Eviolite is quite late so Type Null won't perform at its full potential for a while, while you can get Ampharos early.