Is that normal?

Kenneth

Does a Quick Claw holder, when its effect is triggered, outspeed a pokemon that just ate Custap Berry? I was battling the Sunday trainer in Reborn Great Hall with the Stealth-Rock, Sturdy Bastiodon. Used my Quick-Claw Donphan. How goes:

1. I use Earthquake

2. It uses Stealth Rock

3. I use Rapid Spin, but

4. It eats Custap Berry at this point

5. Instead of it using its move, quick claw activates and Donphan hits first

But the enemy ATE the berry and didn't move first! Is that as intended?

1 hour ago, Kenneth said:

Does a Quick Claw holder, when its effect is triggered, outspeed a pokemon that just ate Custap Berry? I was battling the Sunday trainer in Reborn Great Hall with the Stealth-Rock, Sturdy Bastiodon. Used my Quick-Claw Donphan. How goes:

1. I use Earthquake

2. It uses Stealth Rock

3. I use Rapid Spin, but

4. It eats Custap Berry at this point

5. Instead of it using its move, quick claw activates and Donphan hits first

But the enemy ATE the berry and didn't move first! Is that as intended?

Okay, which pokemon moves first is usually determined by two things: 1) its speed compared to the opposing pokemon and 2) the priority of its move. there are "priority brackets" ranging from +5 (Helping Hand) to -7 (Trick Room). most moves have 0. if a Pokemon uses a move with higher priority than the opponent's attack, then it will go first, no matter the speed of both Pokemon.

Quick Claw and Custap Berry don't change the priority bracket you act in, but just move you up in the priority bracket you're already in. Earthquake, Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin all have a priority of 0, so all that matters here is speed.

Now what confused me is that Custap Berry activates before Quick Claw. Quick Claw should activate first, no matter what the speed of the Pokemon is. Are you sure that's the order they got activated in?

But yea, to make it short: Donphan is naturally faster than Bastiodon. Both Quick Claw and Custap have the same effect, so they basically chancel each other out here and the speed of the pokemon matters again as if there weren't any items.

Edit: I also found a source for the stuff I wrote, so you don't have to blindly trust: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Priority

• Thanks 1