Ideas for an Underwater team?

BigShotJoe

As the title says, I'm looking for ideas for an Underwater team. I have a few Pokemon I'd like to try but can't decide on what to put in the team with them.

Sliggoo - Hydration with max HP and Sp. Def, Eviolite, Rest, Toxic, Infestation, and maybe Rain Dance in case someone tries to change the field.

Lanturn - Volt Absorb with max HP and Sp. Att, Assault Vest, Thunderbolt/Discharge, Scald, Electro Ball, and Signal Beam/Dazzling Gleam

Vaporeon - Hydration, max HP and Sp. Def with Wish, Scald, Rest, and Toxic/Rain Dance with Leftovers or Damp Rock depending on the final move.

Any ideas, thoughts, or advice is appreciated.

From my experience, Underwater teams can easily be defeated by turning the field to Murkwater Surface. I remember there being like two or three such battles in Rejuvenation, and I almost lost each one until I sent my Tentacruel in. With Sludge Wave I changed the field which caused huge passive damage every turn to my opponents, and with Dive I stalled for time. I somehow managed to beat them with only Tentacruel.

So you should plan something to counter this, like putting a Poison or Steel type in your team, or use Whirlpool which changes Murkwater to normal Water Surface and is boosted underwater as well.

Other things I could think of:

- Ferrothorn/Forretress since Fire attacks don't work (Scizor would be bad due to physical attacks being weaker)

- Wash Rotom with Electro Ball. It's faster and has higher SpAtt than Lanturn

- Water Absorb Seismitoad/Quagsire: immune to both Electric and Water (since Water types lose their Water resistance on the field)

- Lapras with Water absorb and Thunderbolt

52 minutes ago, Edo said:

From my experience, Underwater teams can easily be defeated by turning the field to Murkwater Surface. I remember there being like two or three such battles in Rejuvenation, and I almost lost each one until I sent my Tentacruel in. With Sludge Wave I changed the field which caused huge passive damage every turn to my opponents, and with Dive I stalled for time. I somehow managed to beat them with only Tentacruel.

So you should plan something to counter this, like putting a Poison or Steel type in your team, or use Whirlpool which changes Murkwater to normal Water Surface and is boosted underwater as well.

Other things I could think of:

- Ferrothorn/Forretress since Fire attacks don't work (Scizor would be bad due to physical attacks being weaker)

- Wash Rotom with Electro Ball. It's faster and has higher SpAtt than Lanturn

- Water Absorb Seismitoad/Quagsire: immune to both Electric and Water (since Water types lose their Water resistance on the field)

- Lapras with Water absorb and Thunderbolt

I hadn't thought of the Murkwater risk. Ferrothorn would fit really well and would pair well with Seismitoad and Quagsire. Maybe throw in an Assault Vest Slowking to tank Focus Blast and Aura Spheres? Lapras is a good idea but I don't think it has the stats to be much use unless using something similar to Amaria's build. Or maybe Whirlpool with a Binding Band and Rest to stall.

29 minutes ago, BigShotJoe said:

I hadn't thought of the Murkwater risk. Ferrothorn would fit really well and would pair well with Seismitoad and Quagsire. Maybe throw in an Assault Vest Slowking to tank Focus Blast and Aura Spheres? Lapras is a good idea but I don't think it has the stats to be much use unless using something similar to Amaria's build. Or maybe Whirlpool with a Binding Band and Rest to stall.

Slowking would be nice. Also since you're basically limited to Water typed physical attacks, having something with Psyshock could be helpful when your opponent has a special tank with resistance to Water or Electric.

Jellicent might be good, too. Immune to Fighting and has Water Spout, while your opponents are super slow.

Blastoise with Torrent+Water Spout underwater would be as devastating as Typhlosion with Flash Fire+Eruption on Burning Field.

Just now, Edo said:

Slowking would be nice. Also since you're basically limited to Water typed physical attacks, having something with Psyshock could be helpful when your opponent has a special tank with resistance to Water or Electric.

Jellicent might be good, too. Immune to Fighting and has Water Spout, while your opponents are super slow.

Blastoise with Torrent+Water Spout underwater would be as devastating as Typhlosion with Flash Fire+Eruption on Burning Field.

Very true. I hadn't thought of that. Maybe Blastoise can actually be good again. Thanks for the ideas.