Some of the Champion in this game feels overtuned and unfair.

Vhein

The imbalance is part of the fun. It's Pokemon (aka glorified rock paper scissors) versus an AI that can be outsmarted and predicted, you can win even with completely garbage useless pokemon (see: my LC run with 0 items). Removing the 'option' to just steamroll enemies by simply spamming appropriate stab moves on strong attackers is not removing options, it actually opens up a lot of different various strategies and lets a lot of moves/mons shine that would otherwise be completely pointless to use.

If your complaint is that certain fields and team compositions limit how useful your pokemon are, I don't know what to tell you. That's how difficulty in this game works, by giving your opponents advantages. What's worth remembering is that these buffs are not exclusively for your opponent, and you have agency over controlling the battlefield. For example...

Crawli

• His team is really really slow. Even with -2 speed from the Sticky Web I was still able to outspeed most of his pokemon with Lycanroc or other pokemon around that decently populated speed-tier.
  • Sticky Web also has 0 effect against Flying types, which his team has little counterplay for.
  • Drizzle only reduces the effectiveness of Fire attacks, it doesn't make them "useless" unless attacking one of his pokemon that are neutral to the type to begin with. 
  • Weather is malleable. Sunny Day, Sandstorm, and Hail are all fairly common moves to learn during level up. You can also bring a Cloud Nine pokemon, or Drought Torkoal (caught in the nearby Safari zone)
  • Swift Swim pokemon are pretty common and take good advantage of the Rain to countersweep his team. Mantine in particular can be caught nearby. 
  • Terrain is malleable. The easiest way to disrupt his (and most gym leader's) strategies is to overwrite their terrain with your own. Moves that do this include Misty Terrain, Mist, Psychic Terrain, Electric Terrain, and Grassy Terrain. 

But generally speaking,  Difficulty in Pokemon means that you can't expect the team you cobbled together during play to stand up to every possible challenge you encounter. You're going to need to adapt, switch some Pokemon out, employ some new strategies.

4 hours ago, Productofboredom said:

If your complaint is that certain fields and team compositions limit how useful your pokemon are, I don't know what to tell you. That's how difficulty in this game works, by giving your opponents advantages. What's worth remembering is that these buffs are not exclusively for your opponent, and you have agency over controlling the battlefield. For example...

Crawli

• His team is really really slow. Even with -2 speed from the Sticky Web I was still able to outspeed most of his pokemon with Lycanroc or other pokemon around that decently populated speed-tier.
  • Sticky Web also has 0 effect against Flying types, which his team has little counterplay for.
  • Drizzle only reduces the effectiveness of Fire attacks, it doesn't make them "useless" unless attacking one of his pokemon that are neutral to the type to begin with. 
  • Weather is malleable. Sunny Day, Sandstorm, and Hail are all fairly common moves to learn during level up. You can also bring a Cloud Nine pokemon, or Drought Torkoal (caught in the nearby Safari zone)
  • Swift Swim pokemon are pretty common and take good advantage of the Rain to countersweep his team. Mantine in particular can be caught nearby. 
  • Terrain is malleable. The easiest way to disrupt his (and most gym leader's) strategies is to overwrite their terrain with your own. Moves that do this include Misty Terrain, Mist, Psychic Terrain, Electric Terrain, and Grassy Terrain. 

But generally speaking,  Difficulty in Pokemon means that you can't expect the team you cobbled together during play to stand up to every possible challenge you encounter. You're going to need to adapt, switch some Pokemon out, employ some new strategies.

The whole "change your team bit depends on the player, really. My team isn't really good but and I play on intense on set mode with no items in battles and I've managed to beat every fight without switching out my members. Granted, its my second playthrough and I have done, like, 50+ tries for some really hard fights. Of course, im not counting the early game, where finding a whole good team of 6 is impossible, so many placeholders were used.