Serra Gym Battle

KnightlyNobody

I have to admit that out of all Gym Battles in the Game,I easily find this one to be the worst and a total dumpster fire of bad decisions. Serra Pokemon Sets are fine,but what ruins the fight for me is how the field promotes some of the worst parts of Pokemons Battle System. Having a field so heavily focused on evasion,crits,and recoil is beneath Reborn and to players can come off as a random trolls instead of a good boss battle. There are ways to ignore the RNG,but this field should have never been designed around this sort of thing.

FYI:I know people will say I suck or am Bad at the Game. I beat this Gym two times quite easily,one with Toxic Spikes Hazard Stack Team and another with a Iron Plate Magneton spamming Flash Cannon but that doesnt make this fight any good. Some aspects of the field have potential,but it is buried behind RNG Nonsense

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by KnightlyNobody

42 minutes ago, KnightlyNobody said:

FYI:I know people will say I suck or am Bad at the Game. I beat this Gym two times quite easily,one with Toxic Spikes Hazard Stack Team and another with a Iron Plate Magneton spamming Flash Cannon

💪

You're not alone with your opinion. While I personally don't find this field effect as irritating as you do, I know there are folks who share your point of view. With that said, maybe you could provide your take on how to improve Serra's field and why your suggestions would improve it. That way you have more constructive input (and be less likely to be greeted with "u suck"s or "git gud"s)

I know this kinda fits what you expected, but its part of the game. Evasion, criticals, etc. has been a key underlying principle and set of mechanics since Pokemon began. You might as well complain about having to train at all, heaving to weaken Pokemon to catch them, or *gasp* having a possibility that the Pokemon will break out of whatever ball you are throwing it at. Lots of things in the game are luck-based, from the damage you deal to what Pokemon show up. Evasion and critical hits are no different. Serra just uses a team that brings that into play and actually makes you think about those aspects of Pokemon battling which are usually just ignored.

On 9/10/2018 at 4:21 PM, Zargerth said:

You're not alone with your opinion. While I personally don't find this field effect as irritating as you do, I know there are folks who share your point of view. With that said, maybe you could provide your take on how to improve Serra's field and why your suggestions would improve it. That way you have more constructive input (and be less likely to be greeted with "u suck"s or "git gud"s)

Some Ideas to make this Field Less of RNG Nonsense would be to

.Obviously Remove the Evasion Boost,Critical Hit Increase,etc

.Boost all Ice Type Attacks by a Consistent 1.5 Power

.Make Abilities such as Slush Rush activate without Hail,and Boosts Other such as Refrigerate and Thick Fat

That is just the begging,and barely scratching the surface. I am a unimaginative scrub,but with the right minds the field and fight could be less about Shitty RNG deciding who gets the W,and more about Player Skill. Even when I used the Flash Cannon Magneton Strat,the fight did not feel very satisfying to beat.

On 9/10/2018 at 7:30 PM, wcv said:

I know this kinda fits what you expected, but its part of the game. Evasion, criticals, etc. has been a key underlying principle and set of mechanics since Pokemon began. You might as well complain about having to train at all, heaving to weaken Pokemon to catch them, or *gasp* having a possibility that the Pokemon will break out of whatever ball you are throwing it at. Lots of things in the game are luck-based, from the damage you deal to what Pokemon show up. Evasion and critical hits are no different. Serra just uses a team that brings that into play and actually makes you think about those aspects of Pokemon battling which are usually just ignored.

Of Course Pokemon has Luck,but Critcal Hits and Evasion are the worst parts of Pokemons Good Battle System. Serras Gym should have never been so focused on these aspects as they come off as the Devs Trolling the Players more than making a Good Boss Fight. There is a good reason why very few fights in the mainline games dont focus on this things,and the ones that do are some of the most despised in the fanbase. Most of the Other Fights in Reborn Focus on good things about the Battle System like a Players Flexibility,Counter Teaming which is Commonly seen in Draft Format,and being able to utilize and even counter competitive strategy such as Setup or Hazards

1 minute ago, KnightlyNobody said:

Of Course Pokemon has Luck,but Critcal Hits and Evasion are the worst parts of Pokemons Good Battle System. Serras Gym should have never been so focused on these aspects as they come off as the Devs Trolling the Players more than making a Good Boss Fight. There is a good reason why very few fights in the mainline games dont focus on this things,and the ones that do are some of the most despised in the fanbase. Most of the Other Fights in Reborn Focus on good things about the Battle System like a Players Flexibility,Counter Teaming which is Commonly seen in Draft Format,and being able to utilize and even counter competitive strategy such as Setup or Hazards

Plenty of mainline teams utilize those strategies, though less so now. Back in Gen. I's Yellow Version Koga's Venomoth would routinely set up double team a couple times and make you miss repeatedly throughout the battle. These moves are utilized heavily in the early battle towers as well, to the point that I'd say its suicide to go into one of them without an always hit move such as Aerial Ace.

Serra's battle is no different than any other. You are expected to learn what her strategy is and come up with counters. Whether that be smashing the mirrors to negate it completely, abusing your own special moves to get up higher power and blow her back, etc.

What you have described such as flexibility, countering, and competitive strategies utterly crush Serra.

Just now, wcv said:

Plenty of mainline teams utilize those strategies, though less so now. Back in Gen. I's Yellow Version Koga's Venomoth would routinely set up double team a couple times and make you miss repeatedly throughout the battle. These moves are utilized heavily in the early battle towers as well, to the point that I'd say its suicide to go into one of them without an always hit move such as Aerial Ace.

Serra's battle is no different than any other. You are expected to learn what her strategy is and come up with counters. Whether that be smashing the mirrors to negate it completely, abusing your own special moves to get up higher power and blow her back, etc.

What you have described such as flexibility, countering, and competitive strategies utterly crush Serra.

I noted how the mainline games did this,and even said that those fights are the most hated amoungst the fanbase. Koga is a Shitty Fight from Yellow,and him being shitty is no less different from Serra being a Trash Boss Fight.

So Trial and Error due to a strategy focusing on Shitty RNG Mechanics,"What could possibly go wrong?". Serra "Counters" do not make her a Good Boss Fight what so ever,The Fight was Boring with Flash Cannon/Mirror Move Spam,or Breaking the Field.