(Heavy Spoilers) Are there different stories with different outcomes?

Rainlove

Spoiler

That's the thing. I know Amaria didn't try to drown me... and I pointedly chose to fight him on that second playthrough.

My guess is that it must be a bug of some sort. Maybe some odd choice I made where the game puts me back onto the Reshiram Path when I reach Solaris. Weird. Could be that talking with Anna, after having failed to defeat Garchomp, messes up the Zeckrom path. Since she starts apologizing about Taka dying, but Taka is not dead, so the game retconns his death and switches stuff to Reshiram to reconcile it?

That would have to be intentional on the developers' part, though, right? I mean, that is the only thing I can think happened. And it kind of has an odd ring of sense. Could that be the cause?

Or... wait. I think I may have somehow gotten Taka to follow me in the Zeckrom path through the desert. I was sure he stayed  at the station, though. Huh. We'll see in my third save file I'm doing my mono-rock run on. I'll fight him at the WTC and see what happens in the desert.

To clarify, I fight him in WTC to initiate the Zeckrom path, correct?

Edited by Feng Lei

Spoiler

You have to fight him to initiate Zekrom path.  If you did, then he shouldn't even show up in the desert.  Maybe make a bug reporting post about this and give as much detail as you can (every decision you made, upload your save file for someone to look at, etc.)

Spoiler

Ok, that's already a point where things mess up then. Because in both games I played, which were initiated in E16, I fought Taka at Tourmaline Station. Once I beat him in my Reshiram path, he asked to join me. I said yes. In the Zeckrom path, he just said "So long then." or something of that nature, and went to stand by the palm tree.

At any rate, I know for certain I battled him in the game that should be Zeckrom, as evidence by all other non-Taka related events being Zeckrom, specifically Amaria's story not including her trying to drown me. which I would have remembered.

Spoiler

Once again, I'd recommend making a bug report.  As much as we can try to rationalize this here, it makes more sense to make the bug report and let the devs try to figure out what went wrong here.

Ok, done. But I am beginning to suspect the chocies are more subtle and nuanced than we thought. It may well be there are actually more than just the vanilla and chocolate Reshiram and Zeckrom paths, unlike what we first believed. Clearly, choices can be made to alter E18 events, even after the supposed important WTC Tourmaline choices.