Discount Conference

NickCrash

This is usually not my thing, as lack of ability doesn't normally phase me. Most times, when something is annoying or borderline frustrating, I tend to suck it up and move on. It seems this time I couldn't. I was going to simply make a public message, dress it up with a little humor, and let off steam this way. Turns out that the longer I was writing, the more I felt I needed to properly contruct my words in the form of a thread; a more permanent thing that will serve as a future reminder for when you hope for too much.

Case in point is this year's Student's Medical Conference in Athens, Greece.

The idea behind it is to bring all future young doctors together in a feast of scientific progress and growth, co-operation and learning. Students who wish to participate commit themselves to learn about a particular subject, research new data about it, compile that information in a powerpoint presentation and bring it to the conference for other students to see. Usually that's done with the assistance of an overlooking professor, and can be either done in groups of 5 in which they divide the material and try to go more in depth, or solo in the form of an "announcement" about an interesting topic. Everyone who wishes to see those and thinks they can learn something, are willing to watch, as the presentations are divided into groups. At least, that's the idea behind it.

Last year, I participated in Larisa's Medical Conference, which is located in a smaller city, and because of that had limited budget. I was happy that the lads there were capable to organize a conference of a national caliber, which was admittedly a strenuous task, given their limited resources. Needless to say, I had fun. I was able to make my 3 presentations with no delay or mix of rooms, or organizational turmoil, the workshops were organized just fine, and the only thing one could complain was the room capacity, as each could house 100 students maximum. One could argue about technical failures of speakers as well, but I digress. The conference was good and the scientific committee did its job to check every paper and group people together properly. I merely mention last year's conference, because the people from Athens, those who organized this year's one were displeased. 

I am so glad to tell them they have absolutely failed to deliver. Not exactly glad, because I had to endure the inconsistence and inability to do even simple tasks, which in the end infuriated me as I was the receiver of the turmoil, but it's glad to see everyone consider their conference a failure. I'll explain why I appear such an asshole in a bit.

Thing is, the conference wasn't even meant to be organized there in the first place.

The ones in charge (5-member groups for each medical school, who supposedly represent them) decided to rob the students from their decision, claiming that the people gathered in the room of the general assembly were not enough to make the decision. The students gathered were 800, approximately all those who participated in last year's conference, yet due to loopholes in the system, they were deemed not enough. the room couldn't fit more anyway. So what did they do? They decided to postpone the vote, organize it another time, decide that majority was not going to take place anyway, so the next time we vote, we won't need to be over 1500 (as the rules state), and that the voting procedure will take place in Athens, because that's where the groups usually meet to make decisions. That alone infuriated everyone, given Athens was a candidate for this year's conference, and making it hard for everyone else to vote (as they'd have to travel there) made sure the conference was organized in Athens, and it did.

So, this urged many people not to sign up for the conference this year.

So why did I do it? Because I had been working with my professor for over a year for our presentation and wanted to publish it first at a local conference, and then make a paper out of it for Lancet. It's quite the big deal, and for that alone I didn't stay for the whole conference. I went there, presented my thing, went on a laparoscopic workshop that I had been eyeing for months, and left. I lost some sleep, but kept some of my dignity.

Now, why the fuck did it actually fail?

It's a big city, with a lot of prospective sponsors. And if you look at the pamphlet, you'll notice big names spending good money for a chance to get new doctors on their side. Mostly pharmaceutical companies, but also those working with surgical tools. We also paid 25$ to participate, which is not a small amount per se. So where did all that money go? Not for the conference I'm certain. There was no organization, no safety regulations, the hotel in which the conference was held had stated their prices publicly (as they do host more events every year), and the workshops were in the nearest public hospital. The doctors helping us couldn't have gained that much money for a 2h course. Greed is the worst advisor a young doc can have. Instead, I'd suggest investing in more proper equipment for the presentations, checking devices, perhaps provide breakfast, invite doctors to present new data on their respective specialties, have us use modern equipment and improve our skills, check the presentations, and organize the rooms. FOR FUCK'S SAKE. In the same room we were presenting, the previous tables had similar subjects, on the very same day!! Who would stay and watch both? Who would even be remotely interested in watching only specific fucking subjects for a whole day! And to make matters worse, some presentations were factually wrong. That's how I know there was no scientific committee for the ones in the groups, to check whether what's presented is actual medical knowledge or utter bullshit. I didn't sleep for 2 nights to ensure my work was adequate. That the fact-checking and sources were accurate. That this is my small contribution to world knowledge, as i compare older date with new and provide additions given I followed the protocols and everything. Turns out, nobody fucking cares. What if you do proper work? Does it matter? You get the same as the others, because we don't care. Heck, they sure said "we can't even evaluate this shit, get out". No matter you wanted to provide something, to help just a little. No. People don't care about your efforts. These fuckers only care about money. Scientific growth? What's that? Do you know why nobody cares about your profession? FUCK YOU, that's why.

They didn't even think of representing multiple specialties. We had general surgery, some cardiology, some more cardiology, even more general surgery, a tad of oncology, and the rest were allowed a single table, or maybe none. For example, only my school had a table on neurology and we were talking about Multiple Sclerosis ffs, and they had the audacity to place us at the end of the conference when nobody is either there, or interested in watching more. 

They had my table at the same time as another table from my university. My fellow students couldn't watch us both. Those genuinely interested in a subject would always come and watch, no matter how full or empty the room is. But this positive trait was not influenced as the program was nowhere to be found, unless you had constant access to the internet to check at all times where you'd like to go, and who is talking there. 

Of course, it's of smaller value to mention that workshops and presentations were ultimately deemed to fall on top of each other, time-wise, because nobody from the organizing committee took the effort to change the times to fit them properly. A few friends couldn't be there for their workshops because they were presenting, and a few workshop organizers and helpers couldn't be there for the presentations their students were making. 

As for the numbers.

They announced over 2000 students participated. 

Every room was half-full.

800 participation cards were never issued. 

The hotel capacity does not exceed 1000 people, and ~300 had to always stay idle between rooms because of limited room.

Thus, less than half actually went there.

Why blow up the numbers, when we all know that's not nearly convincing?

Why take so much money, and not use it somewhere that students can actually benefit from?

Do you really want to revitalize the stereotype of the lazy Greek who only cares about doing the minimum, just to get their hands on money?

Is that the idea of the conference?

Is that the image we want the world to have about us?

I am angry.

Not because I did something wrong.

But because this affects me, indirectly.

Because in the end, my achievements will be valued less.

Not because they per se are less valuable.

But because the frame in which I am climbing up, is sinking down, and I have to chase much harder because of their fault.

Because had these things been done properly, I wouldn't have to worry that our worth as doctors is diminished.

Because at the end of the day, I'll have a harder time becoming someone, because the very system that's supposed to help me is standing in my way.

So one day, when I look back at this, I will be happy because I managed to climb out of the filth.

Because I wanted people to know that this kind of shit represents a general sepsis of this country's "educated people" and I don't want to be any part in it.

Because these students will be the representatives of the medical boards of the country tomorrow.

And I don't want to have any part in this. Any relation to them.

I am still optimistic about the future. My future.

But I won't have to thank any of them for support, or help or whatever. 

Because they are part of the problem, but they pat themselves on the back saying they help find the solution.

It's fucking unfair, alright? Because I've been busting my ass off to provide a miniscule portion of progress in a field I love, and these shitheads get credit, money, appreciation, recognition, and are using their contacts (not talent, not wits, not knowledge) to gain things. And if I stay here, they will be ahead of me, because of this fucking mentality. They are worth less, but the people will see them rise faster and judge by that. Because this is unfair. And fuck them. I don't want this for my life.

As I finish this message I wanted to mention something.

This is a shitpost, yes. But I am fucking angry. It's not without purpose. I hope it's not. I hope I don't get dragged down into the shithole. I want to get out of here. Out of this fucking mess. And in times like this I wonder how some professors I know are good at what they do and care, how do they manage to leave all tha shit so far behind that it doesn't affect them, that i doesn't bother them.. And I know this is not a new phenomenon. But as I see a glimpse of hope in a previous organization, and expect more where more can be provided and I get this disappointed, I see all that's wrong with this system. It's not right. It's actually shit. And I won't have any of it.

Sorry to have bothered you with this rant. I just take my passion more seriously than others it seems. Maybe I should focus on gathering wealth instead. Because what matters is not your ethics, but how fast you can build your villa, no matter how useless you are. No.

I will be better. And one day, all these worms won't be even able to look this high up to see me. On that day, I'll be happy.

I would say "always expect the worst shit so you won't be disappointed", but I won't. This mess is affecting you directly even if you try to ignore it completely. They are gaining money and fame while you get only wasted time on something that in the end it didn't matter. Even if it was the most excellent work and a groundbreaking idea, it would be buried under their incompetence and greed. 

BUT if during the whole year preparation, if during the presentation even under those shitty situations and if after all those ended you still feel you did the right thing DON'T STOP! DO NOT BE LIKE THEM!
As much as they try they will never take away the joy you get from doing your job. As you said, is your ethics that matter not the money. I have seen good doctors, bad doctors and even a mix of both. But the one who really judges you is your work and your patients.
Don't try to prove you are better than them, try to do what you love. The results will be the ones that will prove who is superior. And I'm sure you'll be as happy as your patients and colleagues one day :]