[IC] TPoS Chapter I: Seven

Shamitako

Aera

"Hi," Aera said. She mustered the courage to look into the woman's confident eyes. "We should introduce ourselves first," she nudged Artemis.

"My name's Aera," she said.

While she had thought up many ways to ask the question, she really hoped that Artemis could ask the question instead.

Artemis

"Oh, yeah. I'm Artemis." Artemis said quickly, feeling embarrassed for not introducing herself sooner.

The woman sat up, turning to face the girls as she did so. Her right eye opened, revealing itself to be emerald green. "I am called Min-Su." She said in that same, quiet tone. She held a sense of subtle beauty. Other than her eyes, nothing really stood out about her. But when looked on as a whole, it was impossible to deny that she was very pretty. "Did you girls need anything?"

"I dunno..." the girl muttered back, almost pouting as she slouched forward rested her head upon the desk "He calls me his "Apprentice" whenever people ask, gives me jobs to do around the shop, old manuals and things to study and stuff to take apart. He said that if I earned my keep, I could stay, but...I dunno. Once, I got pretty sick... but instead of throwing me out like I thought he would, he took care of me until I got better- I even heard him turning down a few big jobs because of it. He was mad about it and all afterwards, but... for some reason it wasn't at me, it was at the people, the ones who had tried to get him to do the work anyway. 

And then there's little sully. David's always telling me how we should 'look out for each other' once we get older, that one day, he might not be around anymore...that all we have in the end is each. I don't get why he tells me... I just learn from him and all, it's not like I'm sully''s sister... well, his real sister... he doesn't even have one. But... I guess I kinda get what he means, about looking out, not having anyone but each other. Back when the others were still around, we followed the same rules, kinda. No leaving anyone behind, no bullying the weaker ones, that sorta stuff..."

Aera

Aera nodded, but as she tried to open up her mouth again, she found herself hesitating, sweating slightly as she cowered before authority. Despite the woman's beauty, she could not find comfort around her presence.

This time was different, though. She had Artemis behind her words. I could risk it, right?

She took a gulp and said, "We just want to know how you're going to help us in the future."

Min-Su

Min-Su laughed in response to the question. It was a cheerful sort of laugh. "Me, help you?" She said, "I was under the impression you were here to help me." She cleared some loose hairs from her face as a few more half-giggles spilled out. "You're both here to help me find my daughter after all."

Debronee

"You had the benefit of people caring for you, of course," Debronee, even despite his tutelage as a warrior and student, had been independent and self-serviced, always doing things on his own and given errands, orders. Tesla seemed to have experienced much the same, but was her superior's care for her in her dire hours out of love or pragmatism? And of course she had someone akin to a sibling, never hitting the mark, but close nonetheless. A simple existence as it was -- emotionless, if she wanted to believe that -- it certainly possessed the minimal familial zest Debronee was so alienated of. Did she find said bonds a vulnerability by virtue, or was her nonchalance in divulging it meaning to express that it wasn't of real significance to her? He felt a mix of what was confusion and slight relief; confusion of her stance on her presumed "family", and relief in that she had something he did not have, something that was perhaps...precious and homely, if he could express it best, which he justified himself as something that alleviated his previous insensitivity of asking a rather personal question. 

"I never really had anyone close to that, even before I was brought here," He began. His tone held no longing; no lamenting feelings were existent. He spoke rather indifferently, with the formal and stern tone he always used in conversation, even as he began to elaborate on his own in exchange for Tesla revealing her own. "All I ever did was trained. I listened, I learned, I did what I had to do. My master really never had things beyond that. It was a bond of obligation, less so than anything else. I guess you're lucky to have found people like that, as much as I myself fail to comprehend it..."

Tesla B287

Tesla lifted her head up off the desk, looking as if she were about to say something, but paused as she turned to Deneb. Whatever she saw, it slowly became clear she was not looking at him anymore, but rather through him, eyes going wide with terror, glowing violet as favor instinctively surged and her entire body seemed to tense, much like a dog who was well aware of the master's imminent wrath. She shook her head, backing away from Deneb, backing out of the chair and falling to the floor, but not stopping in her retreat, muttering something softly under her breath, trembling more with each foot of ground she covered in that small space. 

"No, no no no no no no..." it went on, growing louder, louder. But nowhere near as loud as the surgical saws buzzing in her ears. Not as loud as the screams of those on the tables in other rooms, nor the hiss and hum of so many countless pieces of machinery.

Even now, she could feel the cold steel ripping into flesh and bone, the frenzied burn of so many volts coursing through exposed nerves, the massive, throbbing aches in her skull whenever they decided they had enough results and dumped her back into the darkness, bandages still wet and warm with crimson stains she couldn't ever hope to see in the perpetual night of the abyss, and the contrasting sensation of hellfire licking every inch of muscle and nerve ending that would often accompany it those long stretches of insanity, when not even the sound of ones own thoughts could reach them, and no fire, no matter how pure and holy, nor righteous in it's fury, could ever penetrate that cloak of ebony. 

Even now she could feel herself deteriorating, losing whatever peice of herself there even was left. Breaking, cracking, crumbling, like the facade of a ruin. As she had back then, she attempted to scream, but even as her insistent cries of "no" melded into nothing but a sobbing, screeching cacphony of terror before Deneb's eyes, Tesla herself could hear nothing when she called out...

For a guinea pig has no voice. Not now, not then, not ever. But they continue to squeal in vain regardless.

Tesla- or rather the discarded mission asset, Subject B287 -had by this point backed away from Deneb until it's back was pressed flush to the wall of the car. Curled into a tight fetal position near the bed, it's arms craddled it's face, as if by simply blocking out the sense of sight it could banish it's other ones as well, violent sobs wracking it's body as cold sweat chilled it entire being. What little was visible of it's face had been practically soaked, even with yet more flowing down, and it's screams volumes reaching new heights.

And through it all, it showed no signs of stopping.

Aera

Her eyes widened in shock, but she managed to regain her composure. The only trait Min-Su and her daughter shared was just one blue eye, so Aera found it quite hard to believe the woman's words. She had her doubts, and the woman seemed to be willing to answer questions freely, but she decided that her doubts should be put aside till later. "Ohhh... But, why are you here, then?"

Artemis (perspectives are proving a pain atm...)

"Wait, you're Vicky's mom?" Artemis asked in surprise. Min-Su was so different from Vicky. Not just in appearance, but in attitude as well.

Min-Su giggled again at the girls' responses. "You can't exactly help me if I'm not here to be helped, can you?"

Artemis couldn't argue with that, but she still wondered if this was alright. Surely Min-Su knew Vicky better than anyone, so why'd Tobias need help from anyone else?

Aera

"W-Well, we can still help you by saving Vicky even if you're not here, can't we?" Aera was confused by Min-Su's reasoning. To her, the only possible explanation was that she was just worried about Vicky. Though, she didn't seem to be in a hurry at all.

At the end, Aera decided to just go with the assumption. "Don't worry! We'll bring her back!" She said confidently, as if trying to reassure her.

Deb

"Hey -- Tesla! What's wrong?! Hey, c'mon! Get a hold of yourself -- Hey!"

All he could do was yell in bewilderment, his tone rising to what was consternation, as he inched closer to her at one moment, hesitating and staggering backwards at the next. What was to him a person he respected as a consummate fighter was now huddled in a corner giving off such a vulnerable form of trepidation, as if Debronee were the manifestation of her greatest fear incarnated and poised to strike before her cowering form. Damn it, he thought. Damn it! What was he supposed to do? Her unstable state at present he undoubtedly thought back to their previous collogue, that had likely reminded her of something traumatizing that would elicit such a violent reaction. 

His feet moving before he could process his next move, Debronee bolted out of the room, leaving the door slightly ajar as he stormed through the innards of the train halls looking for the higher ups to aid. The search took several minutes before he finally found a room where Tobias was in, whereby he quickly announced Tesla's panicked state between breaths --

"It's Tesla...i-in her room. You... you have to help her -- now."  

• 1 month later...

Tobias

Tobias was sitting quietly on his bed meditating when Deb showed up. He opened his eyes and looked calmly at the boy. "Calm down, I can't help if you can't tell me what's wrong." He said in a soothing tone, "What happened to her?"

Min-Su

"I doubt there will be any going back for any of us." Min-Su said solemnly, "My daughter least of all." She shook her head sharply, as if to clear her head. "Sorry, sorry. Don't mind me and my nonsense, I'm sure we'll find her just fine." Her cheerful demeanor had returned, but her eyes still held a solemn look.