Please note that this is NOT the place to ask for online trades. For that, please use the Online Play forum.

Shiny Charm sidequest (possible spoilers)

ItsClint

Question

Hey people, I'm having problems with the shiny charm sidequest. I know it originated way before e16, my file is either e14 or e15 (not sure how to check), point is (spoiler for... possible spoilers? I guess?):

Spoiler

Spoiler

Shiny Charm
If you answered No to all of Blake's demands about the Ruby Ring, visit the house of Eclipse's father in Calcenon after defeating Blake and find it in Eclipse's room

Straight from the item guide. Now that would be fine and dandy, if it worked for me.

It's been a long time since I reached that point in the story (roughly a year and 2 months) but I'm pretty sure I said no every time.

I'm not the kind of guy who ever says yes to villains, hence it should be working.

I'm thinking maybe my save file is a bit weird like that (also had the Silver Ring problem, so I wouldn't be too surprised if this were to be a bug too).

Or, I did say yes and just forgot about it, that would be my bad.

Now for the question(s):

1) Will there be any other way to get the Shiny Charm? I really, really don't want to restart my save just to get an item, as important as that is (I know I can keep a backup and start a new one without erasing it, but man, it's not the same thing, you feel me?).

2) Is it possible that the sidequest just... bugged out, like the Silver Ring in the items bag business?

3) Isn't it a bit... too "harsh" to not allow you to get such an important item for an in-game choice (by mistake in my case, because screw villains)?

Thanks for reading through this.

Edited by ItsClint

12 answers to this question

That is as close as you can get, just say no to Blake all three times and Aster will confront you and give you the Waterfall HM after you beat him, go back to Charlotte's town to Eclipse's house and talk to her father and their dialogue should change.

24 minutes ago, Cronos5010 said:

To get the Shiny charm, you need to say no to Blake three times, battle Aster for the Waterfall HM, and go back to Eclipse's house, you have done that right? I think the sidequest was.. E15?

I think I did... I do have the Waterfall HM but I don't remember if I got it from Aster (I finished E16 with all sidequests by the way, except renovations which I'm currently waiting on),

although if I remember correctly I did not get it from Blake, and that's the only other way... I'm confused.

The father says

Spoiler

"There's no way Caitlyn would be dead, you scoundrel! Play your pranks elsewhere!"

and when approaching the room

Spoiler

"Ahem. That is my daughter's private quarters. I would appreciate if you did not disturb it." and pushes me back.

All the evidence points to me fucking up somehow somewhere in the story... sigh.

Edited by ItsClint

18 minutes ago, Cronos5010 said:

Yeah that sounds like you didn't battle Aster, you actually need to battle him once more to get that shiny charm, so yeah, you messed up.

Basically I have to re-do the whole story? That is lame. I hope it'll be available some other way too, game's too long to just "power through" one more time... Plus I don't really wanna lose some of the shinies I found, sigh. Thanks for letting me know though, I now know I can do nothing other than restarting the playthrough at least.

33 minutes ago, Cronos5010 said:

Maybe you can ask someone to hack it in, but basically yeah, do you have a backup that you can use to go back to the whole Blake thing? and a trusted friend who you can ship off the shinies to for a moment?

Hacking it in is a cheap way through though, I could maybe do it myself via googling but that is... well... cheap and unintended imo (if I reach that point, I can probably do it myself, let's say).

Nobody I know plays reborn, so no about that, but I do have a save file before Blake for sure (I have 350ish backups lol), which one do you suggest? Like, how many badges, or before which event. And is there a way to transfer Pokémon between save files without actually trading? I remember doing that with like Emerald on pc, using Pokésav. Is there something like that for Reborn?

Edited by ItsClint

17 minutes ago, Cronos5010 said:

Preferably a save file that is just after the P.U.L.S.E. Dive puzzle, and there really isn't a way to transfer Pokemon between save files without trading I'm afraid.

I just opened a save file where I saved in front of Charlotte (I have the Ruby Ring, in fact) which is before the Dive puzzle, right? I talked to the father and he said the same thing in first post... Am I doomed?

I mean, it shouldn't say that, right?

Edited by ItsClint

Well technically the whole series of events that leads to you getting the Shiny charm is before T3RR4, so you should be fine, and yes I think that is before the dive puzzle, have fun with the sliding tile puzzle in the circus by the way, also check if you can use Surf, I think you need to beat Charlotte to be able to use Dive, and then you can go to the icy city and beat up Blake.

10 minutes ago, Cronos5010 said:

Well technically the whole series of events that leads to you getting the Shiny charm is before T3RR4, so you should be fine, and yes I think that is before the dive puzzle, have fun with the sliding tile puzzle in the circus by the way, also check if you can use Surf, I think you need to beat Charlotte to be able to use Dive, and then you can go to the icy city and beat up Blake.

I found a save file directly in front of Shelly before confronting with Blake (where he asks you the ring for waterfall). Is this one as close as it gets? If so, I might just redo the story from here and be done with it.

2 minutes ago, Cronos5010 said:

That is as close as you can get, just say no to Blake all three times and Aster will confront you and give you the Waterfall HM after you beat him, go back to Charlotte's town to Eclipse's house and talk to her father and their dialogue should change.

Alright, thanks a lot for the help! I might ask you for more camels soon... for obvious reasons (bit off topic but whatever). I think this can be closed then!