Why Did I Come Here?

Polokun

So I've started this game not long ago and while I am liking it and how dark and realistic it is... it raises a lot of questions.

See, in other Pokemon games the set up is typically you're just a kid starting out on your first Pokemon adventure once you're old enough to carry Pokemon. But here? You apparently just decide to come to this region... for some reason, and Ame herself is willing to meet up with you and help you get started. Why? Who are you that she would go out of her way to help some random person with no Pokemon and why would you even come to such a dangerous region to begin with? And without Pokemon?! If you're still supposed to be a ten year old kid, why would ANY parent just let their kid come to such a horrible region? To handwave it away as "Oh kids that young are always doing this in Pokemon" comes off as incredibly SOD-breaking considering that this is meant to be a more realistic take on the setting. But if you are playing an older teenager (which is more likely), did they come all the way here just to be challenged? You can't even use the excuse of wanting to go to a dangerous region for a such a reason because again, you have ZERO Pokemon! I'd be willing to accept being overly-confident as an excuse, but you'd have to be pants-on-head retarded to face such a challenge Pokemon-less.

Maybe it's explained later, but for a game that goes out of it's way to be messed up in how people are or how more fleshed out the Region is in a more deconstructive sense.... the motivations of your character are incredibly lacking.

Edited by Polokun

What you ask about is all explained in the first few moments of the game, though it may be easy to miss. 

The MC is around 18 years old, and an accomplished trainer, it's implied that we've already conquered other leagues previously. The premise of the game is that the Reborn League has recently reopened after years of being closed. We play as one of the many trainers who came to Region to challenge it. This is why we don't have any Pokémon with us, because we're arriving as a challenger. 

Ame is the champion of the League, and it is her duty to help any and all trainers who arrive in the region who want to take challenge the League. That is why she meets us in the city, and gives us a Pokemon. She doesn't merely help us, but also Cain, Victoria and every other challenger you meet along the way since it's her job to do this. 

Hopefully, this answered your question. If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them as well as I can. 

So... we come here to challenge this new league... and we have to start from scratch?

Where's the logic in that at all? By the same logic of how everyone is a lot tougher and smarter then what we're expecting, why wouldn't we bring our indestructible team that beat these apparently prior leagues? It's one thing to start at the bottom of the ladder and work your way to the top, but this is like the equivalent of having to unlearn everything you know of martial arts before you can enter a martial arts tournament.

I thought "accomplished trainer" meant more something along the lines of "knows how to handle pokemons and take care of them"...

Maybe the MC lived at the daycare in another region, and decided to try their luck in the newly opened Reborn region (possibly because a newly opened land offers more possibilities)?

This would at least explain the lack of pokemons: the ones the MC had been training simply weren't theirs, so they couldn't take them for the journey.

Edited by Waynolt

14 hours ago, Polokun said:

So... we come here to challenge this new league... and we have to start from scratch?

Where's the logic in that at all? 

The real reason? Because we need the game to be challenging, and having a fully levelled team to start off with would be boring. 

Lore reasons? Because we need to start from scratch to be eligible for the challenge, and it's pretty much tradition at this point with how Ash has been doing it.

1 hour ago, Tartar said:

The real reason? Because we need the game to be challenging, and having a fully levelled team to start off with would be boring. 

Lore reasons? Because we need to start from scratch to be eligible for the challenge, and it's pretty much tradition at this point with how Ash has been doing it.

Well fern didn't drop his pokemons when he started collecting badges :D

I don't really think it's implied we are already good trainers, also only gender neutral characters look like they are 18. Rest look like 14 at best :D

42 minutes ago, phoenica said:

Well fern didn't drop his pokemons when he started collecting badges :D

I don't really think it's implied we are already good trainers, also only gender neutral characters look like they are 18. Rest look like 14 at best :D

Our age has been confirmed on the forums, that's pretty set in stone. 

And Ame literally says "You must be an accomplished Trainer" when she sees us for the first time in Reborn. And due to how strong we actually are, and how everyone implicitly trusts us and our strength (Adrienn even says we're the most suited to become Champion), it's pretty likely that we're an incredibly strong trainer to begin with. 

Well even so, that could be something better addressed at the beginning. Even just a simple line from Ame going: "You look really experienced! Did you remember not to bring any Pokemon? Sorry, but it's a rule we have for people coming from outside the region."