What are your favorite close capture/escape stories?

doombotmecha

So, following last night's bagon-fueled breakdown, I wanted to hear your incredible stories in the pursuit of rare pokemon.

For those who go to bed at a reasonable hour:

I spent like 4 or 5 hours last night at around 10 to 3 in the morning in that one spot on alola route 3. about two hours in, I found a bagon. It called another bagon. I killed the first bagon on purpose with Magnet Bomb, Bombed the the second one once and then thought, "hey, dragon resists electric, right? thundershock (from my Magnemite) will totally do less damage, right? It did not. I KO'd it. I lost my shit.

For some reason, though, I just kept going, just kept on running around in the same patch of grass until like 3 in the morning when another one finally appeared. The second time went perfectly. I swapped from Wingull to Magnemite, I used magnet bomb, it hit him for exactly half, he burned me so I could knock him lower, I did, I paralyzed him, I caught the Bagon in one ball. I could have died happy right then.

My fight was actually to find a ditto, I was planning to sketch a wish on my smeargle to then breed on my umbreon. So I went on the mountain and suddenly found a beldum. So I thought cool a beldum, I have a sandghast, low level but I thought it would be perfect. So I got him low and then the bane of my existance came : "beldum called for help.". After a grueling battle involving several beldum, my sandighast out of pp halfway and all my high quality balls gone, thinking I had a few take down's recoils left, KO'd a recently called full health beldum to then see a struggle resulting in a suicide. Worst system ever.

Yeah, status conditions like paralysis prevent the Pokemon from calling for help.

I learned that the hard way.  Needed a Snorlax but didn't wanna bother raising a Munchlax's happiness, so since they can be called as allies from wild Munchlax I thought I'd do that.  But they always hold leftovers, and I didn't have anyone with theif that wouldn't one-shot it, so instead I burned it.  I literally fought that Munchlax for an hour.

The worst part is, I never did get my Snorlax.  When I fought the second Munchlax and actually did it right this time, the battle went on for almost as long and it only ever called Happiny and other Munchlax.  I eventually gave up and just threw the Munchlax I already had into the hot spring.