My new League Team. Please advise

Damascus

Just to say, that although i will be using this team for the league, i want it to be good against anyone, so will be taking current trends into account.

Joker (Gengar) (M) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 255 SAtk / 255 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Thunder

- Taunt

- Icy Wind

- Destiny Bond

This is always my starter. i dont think that there is a single pokemon that he doesn't pose a problem to. taunt stops setting up, and thunder destroys bulky water types, with the 30% chance paralysis. Always hits with the common rain teams. Icy wind lowers speed, which then allows me to DB anything that is faster than me, as after 1 drop, there isn't anything that is faster. Icy wind also works as support move in double battles.

SmoothMoves (Honchkrow) (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Super Luck

EVs: 255 Atk / 255 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Sucker Punch

- Brave Bird

- Superpower

- Pursuit

This is designed to switch in, and deal large amounts of damage to anything that could be a potential problem, i.e. stat boosters. Sucker Punch will destroy most dragon dancers, after they've boosted, will normally be weakened. BB for STAB. SuperPower covers ice and rock types, and pursuit for things that like to U-turn or baton pass etc...

Miles (Serperior) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Contrary

- Leaf Storm

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Leech Seed

- Substitute

Pretty self explanatory. Leaf storm to power up, and STAB will hurt most things. HP fire just to cover pokes that leaf storm wont hurt. Leech seed, is for when somone puts in a pokemon with masses of HP, i.e chansey or Wobbuffet, to stall them into switching. sub is to stop them doing damage, or set up sub on the swicth out.

Fantastic (Ninetales) (F) @ Air Balloon

Trait: Flash Fire

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Fire Blast

- Hidden Power [Rock]

- Attract

- Confuse Ray

Fantastic Mr. Fox here can be switched into a fire move and take the boost, then attack with HP rock, which hits fire and flying types pretty hard. good for quite a few dragons aswell. Or he can just be a nuisance with attract and confuse ray, and then gradually wear them down.

Ron (Vaporeon) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Water Absorb

EVs: 255 HP / 120 Def / 132 SDef

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Toxic

- Scald

- Wish

- Protect

Another simple set. Water Absorb to cover for ninetale's only weakness as he has a balloon. He just stalls anything. Scald not only gives a stab, but allows me to burn a steel or poison, which isn't affected by toxic.

Chandey (Chandelure) (M) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Shadow Tag

Hardy Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Energy Ball

- Flamethrower

- Hidden Power [ice]

i dont think i really need to explain this, as everybody has seen how shadow tag chandelure works.

My main concerns are weather teams, because everybody seems to have them. Also, if anybody sees any major pitfalls it would be appreciated if you could advise a way around them.

Fantastic (Ninetales) (F) @ Air Balloon

Trait: Flash Fire

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Fire Blast

- Hidden Power [Rock]

- Attract

- Confuse Ray

Fantastic Mr. Fox here can be switched into a fire move and take the boost, then attack with HP rock, which hits fire and flying types pretty hard. good for quite a few dragons aswell. Or he can just be a nuisance with attract and confuse ray, and then gradually wear them down.

This will not be a good build for the League. It's too frail and why both Confuse ray AND attract? Confuse ray is plenty enough, what that says is that in a singles match, you will have to spend two risky turns to set up something that can simply be solved with the Leader switching out. Also, Heat Wave over Fire Blast. Hits more than one opponet, more accurate. Invalueable against leaders like Serra, who are known to use Triples. Also, use DROUGHT+Solar Beam. Packs an incredible punch and helps troll other wweather teams. Also, if you dont want to be walled by 4chan.sey and Blissey, Put on Psystrike to deal with special walls.

Just to say, that although i will be using this team for the league, i want it to be good against anyone, so will be taking current trends into account.

Joker (Gengar) (M) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Levitate

- Thunder

- Taunt

- Icy Wind

- Destiny Bond

This is always my starter. i dont think that there is a single pokemon that he doesn't pose a problem to. taunt stops setting up, and thunder destroys bulky water types, with the 30% chance paralysis. Always hits with the common rain teams. Icy wind lowers speed, which then allows me to DB anything that is faster than me, as after 1 drop, there isn't anything that is faster. Icy wind also works as support move in double battles.

What Allan said. Thunder's terrible accuracy will be taken advantage of by weathers like Sun and Sand Storm, And all the leaders will not even bother to use rain. Put in Thunder Bolt for Accuracy. Also, the other main thing that bugs me about this bulid is the lack of SHADOW BALL. Shadow Ball is a MUST on Gengar. Its a hard hitting move with STAB and can deal with other ghost types. Also, I like Icy Wind, but it is simply too weak of a move, and is also only useful in Triples against a rush. And it will only be real useful against Grass, Ground, and Dragon.

The other team that is just irking my chain is the stat divisions. 255/255 is a waste. Thats one vital EV without a home.

Kitten (Ninetales) (F) @ Air Balloon

Trait: Drought

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

- SolarBeam

- Heat Wave

- Nasty Plot

- Psyshock

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd < This is a good EV chain. 255 doesnt boost the stats beyond 252, and that leaves you another EV to put in HP, which can make a HUGE difference.

And thats my advice.

A decent rain team set up by the leaders will run right through you. 2/6 weak to water. 2/6 weak to ice. Vaporeon will be the only Pokemon with the ability to put a halt to it. As for Vaporeon, it really has no place outside of rain. It just can't handle it.

Thanks you for all of your input. I am making some decent changes, and am already seeing improvements. However, i am struggling to find any Water types that can help my grass/fire/water core, that doesn't rely on rain. does anybody have any suggestions? (Movesets and EVs would be helpful) :)

many thanks again

• 4 weeks later...