what is a good set for noivern

ChronoZero

i got a noivern,but im not sure what set is good for noivern any reccomendation? (Sorry for bad english)

Right now my noivern is this set

Lv 55 Noivern

Moves

>Boomburst < throught tutor btw

>Super fang

>Roost

>Air slash

Ev and IV

HP 36/24

Attack 89/22

Defense 84/24

SP.Atk 42/3

SP.def 13/23

Speed 68/3

post-65729-0-70855300-1480227370_thumb.png

I'd recommend you breed for better IVs, to begin with, because that noivern has terrible IVs in Speed and Special Attack especially -- those two are its most important stats.

I'd also recommend you consider actually EV training it to mazimize speed and special attack. Beating wild woobat and noibat any cave yields speed easily, and SpAtk can come from slugma (not magcargo) and numel, also easily found in Pyrous mountain.

As for moves, Ideally you would want Dragon Pulse, Hurricane, Boomburst and Flamethrower.

Hurricane and Dragon Pulse can be tutored and will also be learned naturally at higher levels. Air Slash is an acceptable alternative until you get Hurricane, but it is very weak, especially since even a fully invested Noivern has rather average SpAtk. Roost and Super Fang would work better on a bulkier Pokemon, but I guess Noivern may be able to pull it off. It's not very good later in the game, for sure; you'd want straight power then.

Flamethrower is something you'll have to wait until a later gym to get, though. Until then, Roost or Super Fang could both work.

I agree in everything Viri said except for Dragon Pulse. Taking into account the number of dragons you have to fight in Reborn (which is pretty close to 0), Dragon Pulse will almost always hit for neutral damage. If we look at the numbers:

- Boomburst: 140 BP

- Dragon Pulse: 85 * 1.5 = 127.5 BP

So, you have a move that will hit for less damage than Boomburst in most scenarios and will rarely do more, so I would recommend playing Roost over Dragon Pulse. Once you get Draco Meteor, you will change back one of your moves for it, but until then I find Roost preferable over a dragon type STAB.

So, the set would be something lile

Noivern @ Life Orb / Sky Plate

Timid / Modest nature

Ability: Infiltrator

252 SpA / 4 SPD / 252 Spe

- Hurricane

- Boomburst

- Flamethrower

- Roost

Hello fellow Noivern, nice color there XD

For Noivern I go with this

-Boomburst

-Dragon Pulse

-Air Slash

-anything (I gave my Noivern Flamethrower at first. Worst idea I ever had, now I gave him Hurricane for when I'm feeling lucky or playing on a terrain that help the Hurricane to always hit)

Now invest those EV on both it's speed and special attack. Air Slash can become Noivern main attack if you feel lucky it will flinch the opposing pokemkn, Hurricane can be used too if you're feeling lucky, and Dragon Pulse while quite useless, can be used for the STAB attack that have 100% accuracy, Boomburst however is going to be your answer on taking most of the Gym (I'm looking at the three of you, Serra, Ciel, Samson) go find a Silk Scarf and give it to Noivern, now watch it cripple your opponent or completely ohko them

EDIT: I'm pretty sure giving Noivern roost is not really a good idea, seeing how easily Noivern can be ohko, Super Fang/Tailwind can be a good alternate for Dragon Pulse, one is for halving any pokemon's health (which can be useful for the super boss) or giving your team enough speed boost to outspeed anything for 4 turn

Edited by LeonVermillion