Mining

Clark

You can buy revives and you can farm infinite heart scales once you have the good rod and access to Chrisolia forest. When mining, you should focus on getting the fossils, one each (Helix, dome, root, claw, skull and armor) since they are the only way of getting those six pokemon. The Helix fosil is especially important because you will need it in a future to unlock some sidequests where you end up getting the gen six fossils. Appart from that, you should try to get an odd keystone, which you need to get Spiritomb.

Plates can be useful if you don't have anything else to attach to your pokemon, or if you want them for collection purposes. Shards are quite important in order to use the move tutors and the pokemon black market, and they are really expensive if you want to buy them, so getting shards is never a bad idea.

Finally, I would strongly recommend not to mine some rocks and to remember where they are, so that should you ever need an evolutionary stoon and you've used all of the available ones you can get another. For example, suppose you need a third moon stone. The only way of getting it right now is through mining.

Lugruf's answer is very complete, so there's not much left to say, but i'd add 2 things:

Always quicksave before mining any rock, so you can softreset if you really screwed up and made the wall collapse before you got anything valuable. Also, if a rock gave you only shards, which are really easy to come by, just reload to get better stuff. It's a bit tedious to mine the same rock several times but well worth it in the long run.

Go reeeaaal easy with the hammer. The pickaxe should be your default mining tool. Hammer is very situational imo.

You can only mine it once, that's why it's a good idea like Alaistair said to save beforehand :) You will be able to mine the same stone twice later in the game, but that might not be for a while depending on where you are (I personally just made a list of places with the mining stones so I could go back and mine them completely once I passed that part of the game).

Evolution stones are also another thing which can be mined (but only useful if you plan to have pokemon which require them). Most of the other items you will be able to buy from the Department Store.

Hope that answers your questions.

Happy mining :)