General advice for the team?

CaptainMomo

So I beat Ciel awhile ago, and decided to go on and rework the team more to my taste and doing the EV training thing. I dropped my Ampharos, Meowstic, and Chesnaught in favor of Metagross, Porygon-Z, and Lapras, and I just wanted to see if the team needed some more bases covered, or if the team was solid. All Pokemon are Level 75. So in order:

Breakdown the Scrafty (EVed in HP and Attack with 4 in Speed)

Wide Lens

Relaxed

Moxie

-High Jump Kick

-Crunch

-Dragon Dance

-Thunderpunch

Paintrain the Nidoking (EV in Attack and Sp Attack, 4 in Speed)

Scope Lens

Docile

Sheer Force

-Surf

-Earth Power

-Sludge Wave

-Megahorn

Puppy the Arcanine (EVed in Attack and Speed, 4 in HP)

Charcoal

Naughty

Flash Fire

-Crunch

-Outrage

-Flare Blitz

-Close Combat

Cactus Jack the Metagross (EVed in Attack and HP, 4 in Speed)

Metal Coat

Hardy

Clear Body

-Hammer Arm

-Bullet Punch

-Zen Headbutt

-Agility

Glitch the Porygon-Z (EVed in Sp, Attack and Speed, 4 in HP)

Silk Scarf

Modest

Adaptabilty

-Discharge

-Tri Attack

-Agility

-Hyper Beam

Siren the Lapras (EVed in HP and Sp. Attack, 4 in Defense)

Icicle Plate

Bold

Shell Armor

-Surf

-Ice Beam

-Perish Song

-Safeguard

Props if you get the Metagross nickname.

Thanks so much!

I honestly have no idea what kind of advice you need. Your team is looking good enough to me. Mine isn't better or anything, but I'll post it nonetheless.. so you can make a comparison, or whatever.

1.) 1M8m9u7.png

Moveset: - Icy Wind

- Recover

- Surf

- Attract (Should be Toxic.. :P But Attract is decent enough, I guess.)

2.) OxGZ0g2.png

Moveset: - High Jump Kick

- Blaze Kick

- Bulk Up

- Brave Bird (Even if I have the tendency to replace it with random HM's..)

3.) gj1haoi.png

Moveset: - Earthquake

- Outrage

- Crunch

- Sandstorm

4.) cPJcsA4.png

Moveset: - Cross Poison

- Acrobatics

- Confuse Ray

- Thief

5.) MNzzO5L.png

Moveset: - Psychic

- Draining Kiss

- Calm Mind

- Charge Beam (Will we ever get Thunderbolt..?)

6.) KjTxriS.png

Moveset: - Discharge

- Thunder Wave

- Flash Cannon

- Tri Attack

Might get into proper EV training later.. :P

Edited by Lagspike

I'm more looking for general advice. Like, I like my team, and it's solid as can be, but I don't want to think I've ignored a base or type that can destroy me. Criticism as well, because this is Reborn and this team was made because the next episode...worries me, if Ciel is any indication on how hard it's gonna be.

I'm more looking for general advice. Like, I like my team, and it's solid as can be, but I don't want to think I've ignored a base or type that can destroy me. Criticism as well, because this is Reborn and this team was made because the next episode...worries me, if Ciel is any indication on how hard it's gonna be.

Your team is good as it is, but as @WaruAthena implied, I'd suggest that you should always try to have a good rotation of Pokèmon available so you can deal with different situations more efficiently and have good coverage.

Now, you don't need a rotation of ten Pokèmon or something.. I'd say that you need up to three, depending how many/what weaknesses your team has, so you can switch one out if it's not needed.

My current rotation consists of a Roserade with Technician. Moves are: Giga Drain, Toxic, Aromatherapy and Leech Seed. I'm just waiting to teach Sludge Bomb to it. So, I definitely got to work on that. I'm planning to add a Lucario, though.

Edited by Lagspike

I definitely want 2-3 on the rotation, and I can actually EV train them. so there's that. Here's what's in my 'possible recruit' box. Out of all of them, here are the one's I'm debating.

Eevee: In terms of possible Eeveelutions, the only one I really feel strongly about is Sylveon, but...meh, I never really got into it. But Reborn's made me like a lot of Pokemon I didn't before, so maybe Sylveon can get a second chance. Though I have no idea how to evolve it.

Togetic: I got it from my Mystery Egg and evolved it, but it's at Level 2. Also, I'd need to get a Shiny Stone for it, and I'm running out of places to mine for it.

Budew/Petitl: Both serve the same purpose to me, as I do want a grass type to take over Chesnaught (who honestly I don't like), but both have problems. Budew requires both a happiness evo and a shiny stone, and again, don't have a lot of places for those left. Also, I don't have access to Sludge Bomb. Petitl I already know I can give it the moves I would want, but it suffers from only doing one thing (Own Tempo+Quiver Dance+Petal Dance), and Roserade would at least have access to Toxic Spikes and some versatilty.

Gigalith: Really, what's stopping me is the fact that it has a shallow movepool as it is. That doesn't mean I don't want it, as it has access to Stealth Rocks, and he did save my ass from Ciel. I just want something else on it other than Stone Edge.

Ampharos: Would need EV training, and I want Thunderbolt on it. Rain Dance is an option, since I do have some Pokemon who benefit from the rain.

Wynaut: I've taken a Wobbufett to the Hall of Fame in other games before, I can do it again.

Clefairy: Magic Bounce and wide movepool, but I honestly don't know what all it's capable of.

Any advice there?

post-47536-0-18978200-1472366681_thumb.png

Hey,

A great mon rarely used in this game is gogoat.

He has a lot of HP, a good attack stat and an awesome movepool.

With the rock and water leaders coming up a grass type for rotation could be usefull.

Keeping in mind future gym leaders, i'm quite sur you'll need a fairy type, with the dragon field effect making ice weaker.

I have a run with 32 mons fully trained if you want to try some of them i can send you the file ^^

In my main run I have around 40 shiny pokemons fully trained, including some you mentionned.

From what I've seen, Lapras wasn't very good. It has access to good stab moves and is pretty bulky, but it doesn't hit hard enough to kill a pokemon with a single hit, or even two (I think it could hardly kill the Goodra of one of the Grand Hall's trainer with an ice beam at the same level) and isn't bulky enough to stay long in the battle since it lacks boosts or health recovery (maybe with a rest-talk set, I haven't tried). It was a pain to train, I had to use the Exp share until lvl 70 or something like that.

Liligant instead was better than expected. Well placed, it can easily set up with Quiver Dance then heal with Synthesis and/or Giga Drain. At level 50 or maybe even less, it was able to easily destroy a lvl 60 Charizard with Petal Dance. I used the Swampert before to set up at the max but still. It lacks type coverage, but when you can hit with a 130 BP stabbed move at +3-4 SpA while tanking with an also heavily boosted SpD, who cares ? And just think about that monster in the new flower field ! Also if you like troll you can also use Butterfree the same way. Not as good but it's quite fun to wreck powerful teams with the small butterfly x)

Clefairy is quite good too, though I don't remember using it outside of Showdown. Magic Guard plus Cosmic Power / Soft Boiled / Lucky Chant / Stored Power can stall anything while hitting rather hard when at 6 Cosmic Power (260 BP for Stored Power). Lucky Chant is rarely used but from my experience, you can't take the time to fully set up without taking at least one critical hit that bypasses your boosts. Maybe you can also try with Calm Mind instead of Cosmic Power for more power though you're vulnerable physically. I should really train a Clefairy in Reborn...

I trained a Drapion too. I think its set uses Night Slash and Cross poison combined with a hold Scope Lens and Sniper, so that it has 50% chance to land a critical hit dealing 2.25 times more damage while ignoring its debuffs and the opponents boosts. Too bad is doesn't learn Focus Energy but it's still rather good.

I really love Budew's line but they suffer from having crap STAB moves since Energy Ball and Sludge Bomb TMs aren't in the game yet.

I'm going to take this opportunity to promote my beloved (ᓂ︿ ᓀ ) Swadloon (ᓂ︿ ᓀ ) line. Leavanny has excellent STAB in the form of Leaf Blade and X-Scissor and fairly wide coverage including Shadow Claw and Poison Jab (which also isn't in the game yet). You can put Sticky Web on it if you prefer the more supportive kind and also breed Agility and Baton Pass on it. It also learns Swords Dance.

Otherwise you might consider building Roserade as a stall-ish type with Toxic/Leech Seed/Synthesis/etcetera.

If you want a Stealth Rock-er, you could pick up Onix->Steelix. I bred Heavy Slam on it and put EV into SpD and HP. It's incredibly tanky.

I run Thunder Wave/Confuse Ray/Electro Ball/Power Gem on my Ampharos because I usually Thunder Wave anything it's up against first. Electro Ball has a minimum power of 60. So you could take that into consideration.

Clefairy is probably more useful in the competitive sense because of how often hazards and statuses are used in competitive battling. So Magic Bounce and Unaware might not be very useful here..

I love Vanilluxe but it has quite possibly the worst movepool aside from Klinklang.

Drapion is pretty ball though. It gets Knock Off and everyone and their grandma carries an item in this game. Cross Poison is pretty solid while we're waiting for Poison Jab. Thunder/Ice/Fire Fang for extra coverage.

Scolipede is allllriiight. Megahorn is really inaccurate though, and no Poison Jab means Poison Tail at 50 power..

I have a Leavenny, but it's typing is what scares me, since it has so many weaknesses. Though it is there, should I need to train up someone else.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Hey,

A great mon rarely used in this game is gogoat.

He has a lot of HP, a good attack stat and an awesome movepool.

With the rock and water leaders coming up a grass type for rotation could be usefull.

Keeping in mind future gym leaders, i'm quite sur you'll need a fairy type, with the dragon field effect making ice weaker.

I have a run with 32 mons fully trained if you want to try some of them i can send you the file ^^

I managed to get a Gogoat and am slowly EV training it, but it should replace Chesnaught as my Grass-type. The save file won't be needed, but I appreciate it!

In my main run I have around 40 shiny pokemons fully trained, including some you mentionned.

From what I've seen, Lapras wasn't very good. It has access to good stab moves and is pretty bulky, but it doesn't hit hard enough to kill a pokemon with a single hit, or even two (I think it could hardly kill the Goodra of one of the Grand Hall's trainer with an ice beam at the same level) and isn't bulky enough to stay long in the battle since it lacks boosts or health recovery (maybe with a rest-talk set, I haven't tried). It was a pain to train, I had to use the Exp share until lvl 70 or something like that.

Liligant instead was better than expected. Well placed, it can easily set up with Quiver Dance then heal with Synthesis and/or Giga Drain. At level 50 or maybe even less, it was able to easily destroy a lvl 60 Charizard with Petal Dance. I used the Swampert before to set up at the max but still. It lacks type coverage, but when you can hit with a 130 BP stabbed move at +3-4 SpA while tanking with an also heavily boosted SpD, who cares ? And just think about that monster in the new flower field ! Also if you like troll you can also use Butterfree the same way. Not as good but it's quite fun to wreck powerful teams with the small butterfly x)

Clefairy is quite good too, though I don't remember using it outside of Showdown. Magic Guard plus Cosmic Power / Soft Boiled / Lucky Chant / Stored Power can stall anything while hitting rather hard when at 6 Cosmic Power (260 BP for Stored Power). Lucky Chant is rarely used but from my experience, you can't take the time to fully set up without taking at least one critical hit that bypasses your boosts. Maybe you can also try with Calm Mind instead of Cosmic Power for more power though you're vulnerable physically. I should really train a Clefairy in Reborn...

I trained a Drapion too. I think its set uses Night Slash and Cross poison combined with a hold Scope Lens and Sniper, so that it has 50% chance to land a critical hit dealing 2.25 times more damage while ignoring its debuffs and the opponents boosts. Too bad is doesn't learn Focus Energy but it's still rather good.

I use Lapras mainly for either tanking blows (go go Shell Armor) and Perish Song. Offense isn't what I need from it, since I have so many other mons that can hit hard.

I do love Lilligant, but if my moves on my teams are any indication, I prefer coverage before stat buffs, and on top of that, she's only good at one thing. Yeah when she Quiver Dances she hits like a sack of bricks but...eh.

Drapion will be solid once get Knock Off on it. Cross Poison/Knock Off/Toxic Spikes/Thunder Fang should be solid.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions. Here's what is going on the Rotation.

Drapion

Gogoat

Gardevoir

Wobbufett

Rhypherior

Also am gonna do...something with my Eevee, not sure which.

Once again, thanks for the help!