[Art: Spriting/Drawings/Feedback] Attempts/Sprites/Drawings

Cool Girl

So, I'm attempting spriting, so I'll be posting attempts at sprites: trainers, pokémons...you name it! Feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm always looking for ways to improve my skills.

Trainer Sprites

7/25/16

cUcPmaL.png

Shiny Pokémon

10/1/16

gWWH1Vb.png

10/7/16

MW7y6n0.png

Drawings

7/21/16

mAcSeFi.jpg

8/2/16

J5h6vUC.jpg

10/13/16

sabCKYe.jpg

10/27/16

index.php?showtopic=21635

Feedback is greatly appreciated! :D

• Upvote 3

• Support Squad

Sprite:

You've got the basic shape and pose down but it's pretty unpolished. Even discounting the size you can barely make out a face. Design wise it's real basic. Maybe try for more colours and designs on the shirt and trousers.

Shiny Pokemon:

Not Pokemons. Pokemons is not the plural.

Drawings:

Ok, they're colourless shapes. I'm not about to praise it as a postmodern masterpiece. Try combining those shapes into recognisable objects and figures. Robots are quite easy to make with shapes, for example. Obviously colour would be nice too.

• Upvote 2

Sprite:

You've got the basic shape and pose down but it's pretty unpolished. Even discounting the size you can barely make out a face. Design wise it's real basic. Maybe try for more colours and designs on the shirt and trousers.

Shiny Pokemon:

Not Pokemons. Pokemons is not the plural.

Drawings:

Ok, they're colourless shapes. I'm not about to praise it as a postmodern masterpiece. Try combining those shapes into recognisable objects and figures. Robots are quite easy to make with shapes, for example. Obviously colour would be nice too.

Thank you for your feedback! :D

For the sprite, I used the base of Silver, so I'll keep practicing! :D

As for the drawing, Viridescent told me to master the geometric shapes and straight lines before drawing anything else, so that's why I did that first! :D So next time, I'm going to try and draw a robot! :D I'll try my best to add color too! :D

Well I'm no master spriter, but creating an archive on whatever program you use, then pasting an already finished sprite and trying to copy it from scratch yourself can always help you get a better idea on how the combinations and position of the pixels will affect a shape and it's symmetry, coloring comes after that. Once you have a general, but more precise idea on how to shape things then you can go into shading, color balance and stuff.

Drawing on paper is, obviously, a completely different story. Learning to master shapes and lines is an excelent start, drawing said objects in different perspectives and angles is the next natural step. As Dobby said, robots, or whatever blocky figures like houses and cars are excelent starting points. Try and draw your lines smoothly, that will keep the paper clean if you need to erase something. Another form of practice that could also help your progress is to get whatever semi transparent paper, place a picture beneath it and copy said picture, but don't limit yourself to just that, always try drawing your own stuff. Practice is a must, so keep those things as a routine and eventually you will get there. And one last advice. Never force your hands too much. If the muscles on your hand are aching, take a break, really, because tendinitis sucks big time. I can tell that from personal experience.

• Upvote 1

So, I wanted to post this yesterday, but because of technical difficulties I couldn't. So, I made this sprite: here's my own version of a lady! :D Also, credits go to Trevore for helping me put a transparent background! :D Also, check my original post for all the artworks. Please feel free to give feedback! :D

cUcPmaL.png

Edited by Cool Girl
  • Upvote 1

you said before you used Silver as a base.... thats not silver....

as a Spriter there are several complaints/ helpfull advice I have to make.

1. The sprites colorus are too bright no one has clothes that bright or hair that bright its perpostrous.

2. try to make the sprite your own this is tecnically a recolor which you did a good job of just need to fix the colours and try not to make the sprite so flashy "look at me im bright and colorfull"

3.Black outlining is needed on the hair not fully but a tad

4. try splicing there are alot of tutorials of how to make a trainer sprite on youtube have a look around

• Upvote 1

you said before you used Silver as a base.... thats not silver....

as a Spriter there are several complaints/ helpfull advice I have to make.

1. The sprites colorus are too bright no one has clothes that bright or hair that bright its perpostrous.

2. try to make the sprite your own this is tecnically a recolor which you did a good job of just need to fix the colours and try not to make the sprite so flashy "look at me im bright and colorfull"

3.Black outlining is needed on the hair not fully but a tad

4. try splicing there are alot of tutorials of how to make a trainer sprite on youtube have a look around

Oh, sorry I should've clarified. I did do a sprite using Silver as a base and I posted it, but I deleted it 'cause it was really bad. So, this is a new sprite using a lady as a base. Thank you so much for your feedback! :D I really appreciate it! :D

I will definitely do more sprites to improve! :D The next trainer sprite, I'm going to try and do it from scratch. I'll be posting more art here, so keep an eye out! :D

Also guys, I use graphics gale to do my sprite work. Just letting you guys know! :D

Like crow said, some black outlining would do wonders for the hair. On the opposite end, the dress could use some colored outlining. The shades on the hair are also really way too close to each other in terms of brightness and could probably do with some changing. The hat is also basically pillow shaded and could do with some changes.

That said for all the roast that just came from my keyboard its not that bad, especially not for a first attempt!

Alright, let's see.

As for the first sprite, give the hair some outline. It looks too clumped up and vague in a way that it's difficult to recognize the portions of it. You'd also want to incorporate shading into your work at some point, as it generally makes your work more fleshed out, nice, and gives them depth. If you want tips on that you could contact me via PM or Showdown and I'd be very much privileged to teach you a few basics. Mostly, just decide where your light source is coming from and shade the parts opposite that source for consistency.

While I don't engage in spriting all that much anymore (though I have in the past) things like splicing and modification also should be picked up at some point. It's good that you're starting slowly so as to not make things confusing, nonetheless.

Standard and geometrical shapes don't come across as an appealing start as they're just....well, basic shapes. I'd recommend you starting something with minimal detail, say something like smaller fruits or flowers. I personally did a lot of practice with these and generally draw them out pretty well -- again, I could provide examples if you'd prefer them.

I hope my advice was helpful.

• Upvote 1

So, today, I drew a robot. I'm also gonna be gone for a while, so there might not be drawings for a while. But, here's your robot! :D This is also going to be in the original post, so y'all keep your eyes peeled ok?

J5h6vUC.jpg

Interesting design, it's improvement from before but you need to expand your exposure to art a bit faster. Attempt drawing the examples I gave you earlier at a steady pace of improvement and you'll do good.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I know it's been a while guys. I've been quite busy and will be pretty busy. Anyways, today, I am bringing you two shiny pokémon designs! :D One made on October 1st and another one that I made today I hope you guys enjoy them! :D (I will have the transparent background for the first pokémon when I can) Enjoy and as usual, any feedback is appreciated! :D

gWWH1Vb.pngMW7y6n0.png

I know it's been a while guys. I've been quite busy and will be pretty busy. Anyways, today, I am bringing you two shiny pokémon designs! :D One made on October 1st and another one that I made today I hope you guys enjoy them! :D (I will have the transparent background for the first pokémon when I can) Enjoy and as usual, any feedback is appreciated! :D

gWWH1Vb.pngMW7y6n0.png

Well we already talked about serperior, but i think one big issue with emboar is in the shading on the pink and the coloring on his light blue/pink parts. Emboars base sprite has two shades of red on his legs under the black center part, but you made them the same shade which makes it look flatter. You also seem to have replaced one of the black shades with a pink part on the (our) right leg? The center is the biggest issue imo; when you recolored the yellow in the fire to blue it also changed the color of his swirly things. You should probably have recolored them individually instead.

That said, the choice of colors is good; the pink abd the blue go nicely together and the hot pink streaks add some nice contrast with the black. The fire is also quite well done. Not bad, overall, but needed a bit more polish imo.

• Upvote 1

Well we already talked about serperior, but i think one big issue with emboar is in the shading on the pink and the coloring on his light blue/pink parts. Emboars base sprite has two shades of red on his legs under the black center part, but you made them the same shade which makes it look flatter. You also seem to have replaced one of the black shades with a pink part on the (our) right leg? The center is the biggest issue imo; when you recolored the yellow in the fire to blue it also changed the color of his swirly things. You should probably have recolored them individually instead.

That said, the choice of colors is good; the pink abd the blue go nicely together and the hot pink streaks add some nice contrast with the black. The fire is also quite well done. Not bad, overall, but needed a bit more polish imo.

Thanks! :D I'll definitely keep working at it! :D

Hey guys. I bring you today another drawing. So, we had to do a drawing of what we would want our autobiography to look like. So, well I did a self-portrait!

sabCKYe.jpg

Let me know what you guys think of it! :D

Ahh, attempting face drawings, eh? Well, it's a good start for a cartoon-esque drawing that's unique in its own way, and the way you're drawing it is unique and sort of abstract. Try to expand your drawings more!

I can't comment on the drawings really, My drawing skills suck massively. The spriting However, That i can give feedback on.

First one, The definition and coloring is very flat, All it would need really is a re-color with colors that contrast eachother, When it comes to shading always use the original shading as guidelines when you do a re-color, never remove darker shades or try make them lighter, always have them match the colour you are changing to but make them slightly darker, They are your definition and character on the sprite. Another thing you need to look out for is under-shadow, under shadows are basically shadow from natural light, just like in real life, if you hold something under a light it gets a shadow, the same applies to sprites, so if a pokemons chin overlaps it's body there should be a little shading underneath it to define the fact it's actually got a chin and not just a neck. the combination of all of that will make all your sprites look the best that they possibly can. i took the liberty of doing my own edit on your sprite, so you can see what i mean about definition, some colours (such as yellow) are tricky to not make look flat or more like gold than yellow. changing a sprites features and vamping the skin tone slightly also makes it looks fresher, you can tell when somebodies just dont a basic re-color compared to a full re-vamp because older colours are more dull and bland. Obviously idk what the original shading was on the dress so i did my own and i did it like that because the image itself portrays that it's a little windy so i did the shadow to suit a breeze moving the dress the best i could, if that makes sense.

246ncqp.png

It's not perfect, and it only took 2 mins, but you get the idea.

The pokemon ones: They are actually really good, The Emboar one is pretty sick looking good choice of colors, The serperior one could do with a light grey/dark white colour underneath that matches it's face or the shading on it's neck, that green color distracts you from the red/black combo. idk if you've ever heard it but there's a saying, red and green should never be seen. and it's true. if you did that it would look completely different to the eye, while also maintaining that it's your own person custom edit.

Not sure if any of this helps, But hopefully it does :D

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm now bringing you another portrait drawing. This is Fyodor Dostoevsky, from The Brothers Karamazov

undefined.jpg

As usual, feedback is appreciated! :D

EDIT: I'm bringing you another shiny. Here is Rainbow Volcarona. I tried my best to do the shading, but I couldn't. If anyone wants to help me with that, that'd be great

Spoiler