Team overview

Anstane

Greetings. I have just defeated Shelly and claimed my third (should be fourth, but, well, you know) badge. She was the easiest gym leader by far so far (Julie was a pain, but wasn't too bad, Florinia I needed to do a bunch of grinding and even then success only came after I tanked out her Cradily's Smack Down's and Sandstorms, and Corey was a pain because of that Skuntank of his, though at least a turn 1 Gust got rid of the corrosive mist). Now that I have a new level cap as well as leveling options, I decided to go over my team and see what's what.

My team as of right after defeating Shelly:

Level 33 Growlithe. Ability: Justified.

Moves: Reversal, Fire Fang, Take Down, Flame Burst.

Level 33 Unfezant. Ability: Super Luck

Moves: Gust, Air Slash, Air Cutter, Quick Attack.

Level 32 Meowstic. Ability: Prankster.

Moves: Psybeam, Light Screen, Psyshock, Confusion.

Level 33 Emolga. Ability: Static.

Moves: Nuzzle, Shock Wave, Electro Ball, Acrobatics (no item held).

Level 34 Marshtomp. Ability: Torrent.

Moves: Tackle, Mud Bomb, Water Gun, Rock Slide.

Level 33 Stoutland. Ability: Scrappy.

Moves: Crunch, Work Up, Take Down, Thunder Fang.

Just looking at the pokemon and abilities, the most obvious thing to notice is the complete lack of Grass. Honestly, so far I haven't seen much of a need for a grass-type (Though I do have a level 20 Budew), though that might change when I get to a water or ground-type gym. Another noticeable thing I noticed is that I have a grand total of one move that is strong against Dark, Ghost and Psychic Types: Reversal for the former, Crunch for the latter.

All in all, though, I can't say I am dissapointed with my team. On the contrary, I'm quite happy with it, though I see a lot of room for improvement. Plus, I'm honestly thinking of swapping out my Unfezant, as awesome as it was so far. I just don't see a need for so much flying, especially when I have Acrobatics!Emolga. Not only that, but I feel like I'm missing out on a number of things and abilites that I should be using.

Any opinions, insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I won't necessarily listen to the lattermost, but in a game as subjective as Pokemon, well, you'll have to forgive me if I have my own opinions as well.

I agree with your assessment regarding Unfeazant; it's a decent Pokemon but soon enough it'll start being outclassed. Emolga too, but that should last you a bit longer given the power of Acrobatics.

Did you complete the Jasper/Beryl police sidequest in its entirety and obtain the Mystery Egg? And if so, what did you get? Those Pokemon are often quite strong and worth putting on the team.

I agree with your assessment regarding Unfeazant; it's a decent Pokemon but soon enough it'll start being outclassed. Emolga too, but that should last you a bit longer given the power of Acrobatics.

Did you complete the Jasper/Beryl police sidequest in its entirety and obtain the Mystery Egg? And if so, what did you get? Those Pokemon are often quite strong and worth putting on the team.

Yes and no to the two questions. I didn't get the Mystery Egg yet. The "In it's entirety" I presume means just finding the fourfive police officers.

UPDATE: I got the Mystery egg (As well as a second egg). Will update when I find out what the pokemon is.

Also, may I ask, where is the move relearner? As, you see, I left my Emolga with my Growlithe and, well, my Emolga kind of leveled up and replaced Nuzzle, which I need to combo with Electro Ball, with Light Screen...

Edited by Anstane

Pffft I never use Grass-type. If I ever need anti-Water-type things then I just stick with Electric. You can get a Mareep or a Tynamo for that, but for now Emolga should be okay (though you might as well get a head-start with something that won't be outclassed eventually).

Fearow might serve you better as a Flying-type than Unfezant, whose stats don't really compliment its move pool. It can last you for quite a while until Route 2, where you can catch a Braviary. Honchkrow is another good Flying-type that's also a Dark-type, but the Dusk Stone to evolve it with doesn't come until later. I don't know of other Dark-types at that point in the game off the top of my head, but I like to use Drapion.

The Move Relearner is the lady in Onyx Ward who dropped her house key. Unfortunately you don't find the key until after Yureyu Building, in the Underground Railnet.

The Move Relearner is the lady in Onyx Ward who dropped her house key. Unfortunately you don't find the key until after Yureyu Building, in the Underground Railnet.

I hope this isn't too off topic but I got the house key in the Railnet and I still can't open the door. Happen to know why or just a bug?

Status update: The Mystery Egg hatched into a Vullaby. I do need a dark-type, so it's a nice thing to see, and the flying dual-typing pretty much means I can retire Unfeazant. I do still need to train the Vullaby up, however, preferably without overleveling the rest of the team.

• Global Mods

I hope this isn't too off topic but I got the house key in the Railnet and I still can't open the door. Happen to know why or just a bug?

Have you talked to the lady outside? you give her the key.

Have you talked to the lady outside? you give her the key.

FACEPALM. I'm a dumbass. I just tried to open the door lol. I already got to the Agate Circus relearned so it's a bit irrelevant now but at least I can stop wondering about the key lol.. Thanks!!

As im loking u had Close combat on Growlithe but u replace it with flame burst?

Next it is good to replace Unfezant by Vulaby but replace Scoutland too

Personaly i dont like Mono normal type mons cos they seem weak to me if they dont have move like headbutt (bless the headbutt) or hyper voice (Loudred and so on) for STAB dark type moves on Normal mons are good to cos they counter Ghost type super hard but with vullaby in your team u dont need it try to find some ice mon like mamoswine briliant pokemonm if u want it

Another u have too much damaging Moves with same typing on Meowstick its usseles just keep psyshock and nothink else although there are better psy mons this one is quite good so keep it if u want Exxegutor that give u Grass that u want or Gardevoir later great mon too

U took railnet key or House key from the wall in underground railnet?

As you have defeated Shelly,your team is pretty good so far.

But its too early to predict or say something.But here's some suggestions:

1. You can catch a Petilil or a Cacnea for grass types.

2. Emolga can be replaced by a Mangnezone.(in late game)

3. Gardevoir or Alakazam will be great in place of Meowstic.(also available later).

4. Frostlass!!!!!

5. Yanmega can replace the flying type.

And the awesome Arcanine and Swampert will take care of others.

Best of luck.

Alright, thank you guys for the advice.

I wanted to ask when should I evolve my Growlithe (As I got a Fire Stone via mining), but then I realized that was a stupid question and I should evolve her once she learns all her moves, Flare Blitz included (Even though I don't really like attacks that deal recoil).

Edited by Anstane

I wanted to ask when should I evolve my Growlithe (As I got a Fire Stone via mining), but then I realized that was a stupid question and I should evolve her once she learns all her moves, Flare Blitz included (Even though I don't really like attacks that deal recoil).

I share your distaste for recoil, but Flare Blitz on Arcanine is SUCH a potent move that I would urge you to give it a chance. You'll have to use a few more potions on him but you'll be blowing dudes away like you wouldn't believe.

I wanted to ask when should I evolve my Growlithe (As I got a Fire Stone via mining), but then I realized that was a stupid question and I should evolve her once she learns all her moves, Flare Blitz included (Even though I don't really like attacks that deal recoil)

Don't worry, you can have Heat wave and Flamethrower instead of Flare Blitz.