Hex vs. Ominous Wind

Azodian

As part of my misty terrain team (link), I need to finish off the move set of my Mismagius. If she gets a STAB move, and I'm not 100% on this, it's going to be Hex or Ominous Wind.

Some things to keep in mind:

Shadow Ball isn't an option, because misty terrain cuts its power in half making it weaker than either Hex or Ominous Wind.

Misty terrain also stops status conditions from taking effect, so Hex is basically just a base power 65 Ghost move.

I have plenty of PP up, so Ominous Wind should be considered at 8 PP instead of its usual 5.

By sheer coincidence, she also has access to Hidden Power: Ghost.

Other moves are:

• Mystical Fire
  • Magical Leaf
  • Nasty Plot

I'm also considering Power Gem for the move slot.

This is all to prep for episode 16, so I don't need to worry about any trainers from before the end of 15.

Edited by Azodian

Personally I would go for hex over ominous, omimous wind is incredible unreliable and has a 5 pp limitation. Hex has a little more base power and more pp.

Now for power gem vs hex. Well hex has the higher bas power but power gem has the better coverage with mystical fire and magical leaf. Personally I would go for power gem because ghost and psychic types run shadow ball which gives you already the advantage.

Another thing to notice is that it is a potential dazzling gleam pkmn and then hex gets the interesting coverage.

Edited by FairFamily

Well, Hex gets way more pp than Ominous wind and is stronger/gets way stronger with status. On the other hand, ominous wind can raise all stats. (It only gets 5 pp sadly) For a playthrough, Hex would be waaaayy better. If you can even get tspikes on your team, hex would do wonders.

You can also give Missy Mystical fire along with power gem.

Hope this all helps bud!! :]

I added some more information to the original post, to make my request a little it clearer.

Personally I would go for hex over ominous, omimous wind is incredible unreliable and has a 5 pp limitation. Hex has a little more base power and more pp.

Now for power gem vs hex. Well hex has the higher bas power but power gem has the better coverage with mystical fire and magical leaf. Personally I would go for power gem because ghost and psychic types run shadow ball which gives you already the advantage.

Another thing to notice is that it is a potential dazzling gleam pkmn and then hex gets the interesting coverage.

It feels weird leaving a STAB move on the table in favor of another typing, but I've kinda been leaning towards Power Gem. Problem with that is, I have plenty of ways to cover any types vulnerable to rock, but only 2 other mons capable of dealing with psychics and other ghosts. I don't think there are any dedicated trainers for either type left in the game, so maybe I'm making to big of a deal out of this.

I added some more information to the original post, to make my request a little it clearer.

It feels weird leaving a STAB move on the table in favor of another typing, but I've kinda been leaning towards Power Gem. Problem with that is, I have plenty of ways to cover any types vulnerable to rock, but only 2 other mons capable of dealing with psychics and other ghosts. I don't think there are any dedicated trainers for either type left in the game, so maybe I'm making to big of a deal out of this.

Anna is yet to be fought, and Ame only knows what else you might face. A Ghost-type STAB is at least neutral coverage against non-Dark, non-Steel, non-Normal types. I would consider using Hidden Power for its relatively large PP pool; thanks to your field Hex will rarely get its boost, and Ominious Wind's effect is too rare to be worth its shallow PP pool outside of online battling.

And I don't know if you want to add more Pokemon to your team, but I'd consider swapping Power Gem in instead of Magical Leaf. You can easily get a Gardevoir with Magical Leaf if you need the Grass type move, and Gardevoir has a flexible movepool to augment your existing team (Wish/Magical Leaf/Psychic/Moonblast?)

Anna is yet to be fought, and Ame only knows what else you might face. A Ghost-type STAB is at least neutral coverage against non-Dark, non-Steel, non-Normal types. I would consider using Hidden Power for its relatively large PP pool; thanks to your field Hex will rarely get its boost, and Ominious Wind's effect is too rare to be worth its shallow PP pool outside of online battling.

And I don't know if you want to add more Pokemon to your team, but I'd consider swapping Power Gem in instead of Magical Leaf. You can easily get a Gardevoir with Magical Leaf if you need the Grass type move, and Gardevoir has a flexible movepool to augment your existing team (Wish/Magical Leaf/Psychic/Moonblast?)

Yea, I've been thinking I'm going to need at least 1 more alternate.

I've also just come to the realization that Hidden Power Ghost allows me an enormous amount of flexibility in her move pool. Previously, it was get a STAB or don't, and pray you made a good call, because she cannot relearn Hex or Ominous Wind after evolution. Hidden Power gives me access to a STAB basically at will.