Hearts of Iron 4

Nhadala

Hearts of Iron 4 is a grand strategy game made by Paradox Interactive and published by the same company.

It focuses on WW2 where you can become any Nation you want in the world(any, China, Japan, Germany, USA, etc...) and determine what its role will be like in WW2, you can be in the Axis, Comintern, Allies, or you can make your own faction throught events or picking National Focuses.

Each nation has its own events and flavor added to it(but since the game was released a bit ago, the majors have the most events, but some minors also have events), with newspapers informing you of big events like fall of a countrys capital, or a Nations complete surrender, etc...

Its a difficult game, but once you learn it, its a lot of fun to play, the possibilities are endless, if you like Grand Strategy games.

Heres a screenshot from one of my games that approaches its climax, the screenshot was taken right after Hitlers Germany surrendered to the might of..... Republican Spain(and yes i won the Spanish civil war with Republican Spain) :3

Kpi7DGj.jpg

If you picked this game up and want to learn it or have difficulty learning it, or you just want to play a multiplayer game with somebody, shoot me a PM and we can add eachother on Steam!

I don't know, as an avid player of Paradox's past games I have so far been unimpressed with Hearts of Iron 4. They simply dumbed down too many aspects of the game, and made the warfare worse overall. Perhaps future expansions can remedy it, but for now I'll stick to Hearts of Iron 3 which at this point has much better mods available and is the more polished game.

I don't know, as an avid player of Paradox's past games I have so far been unimpressed with Hearts of Iron 4. They simply dumbed down too many aspects of the game, and made the warfare worse overall. Perhaps future expansions can remedy it, but for now I'll stick to Hearts of Iron 3 which at this point has much better mods available and is the more polished game.

Well, a game that has been out for so many years will of course be more polished. :P

I dont have HoI4 myself, but i can vouch for the fact that it is a pretty fun and unique strategy game.

The main feature about this game is its uniqueness. Even though it is based on one time period (ww11) you really have a dynamic of options on how you use that time. You can make history they way you see fit, for example you can play this game as fascist America. And thats only one of the many things you can achieve while playing this game.

Obviously this doesn't come easy. In order to achieve these sorts of things, you have to strategically manuver the political theatre to fit your goals. You have to plan grand and expect problems on the way, which brings for some dynamic thinking to find out how to achieve your dastardy scheme of world dominance, which brings us perfectly to our next topic.

Political strategy isn't the only main thing about HoI4, there is also technology and manufacturing. What do you think is the more important on the world stage of fighting. The superior strength of an infantry to stand the enslaught of foes? The versitality and speed of tanks to deliver crushing blows onto your targets in breakneck speeds? Or the dominance of a navy to ensure the waters around your empire are safe? All of these can be done by researching how to fully optimize your army for any situation. And with a whole array of ways to make your killing machine of an army... kill things more? (didn't think that one through) you will enjoy the diversity in which you can play at. And maybe if you think it necessary, you can bring some nukes to fully ensure your opponents think twice of launching an offensive of their own >:]

Also did i mention the UI for this game is soo freaking good?

So in conclusion, HoI4 is a very versatile and unique game that has a whole array of options in which to play it as. For a very good price of around 40 dollars for the base game (its higher if you want some aesthetically pleasing options for gameplay) I highly reccomend you pick up this game. Your sure to enjoy the endless possibilities!

Well, a game that has been out for so many years will of course be more polished. :P

Sigh, the thing is, I've become kinda jaded in terms of Paradox games having played them for ~2000, they have to have really darn good combat and multiplayer options to be worthwhile anymore, single-player is of no interest to me.

And in terms of this the combat of HoI4 has been so grossly oversimplified, so much that all the diversity of HoI3 has been stripped bare and left people not much to work with. Few army compositions are viable anymore, and ship combat pretty much relies solely on numbers now. Which kind of irks me the wrong way.

To reiterate: ITS A GREAT GAME. But my standards are simply too high to appriciate the innovations the game has made to accommodate newcomers.