Magic: The Gathering Discussion Thread

Shadow Tack

@ grizzlybrand it's modern. i dont have anywhere near the income to afford abur duals lol

im really enjoying the deck because i really like sticking a threat and being able to make a decent-ish clock with plenty of removal and counterspells to protect it

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright....here's my deck as is, before any more cards I've bought thus far (all from TCGPlayer): http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eight-half-tails-detain-the-things/

Wrath of God, Path to Exile, Glare of Heresy, Norn's Annex, and Rune of Protection: White, those are next to be bought....along with the Swords & Sigarda's Aid ._.

Looking at this I think the creature base could be improved some as well, I like a lot of your choices,

@ grizzlybrand it's modern. i dont have anywhere near the income to afford abur duals lol

im really enjoying the deck because i really like sticking a threat and being able to make a decent-ish clock with plenty of removal and counterspells to protect it

Ohhh makes sense, I'm starting to work on my Abzan Toughness deck. Turning Tower defense into an insane instant speed 2 mana Overrun??? Yes please.

Alright....here's my deck as is, before any more cards I've bought thus far (all from TCGPlayer): http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eight-half-tails-detain-the-things/

Wrath of God, Path to Exile, Glare of Heresy, Norn's Annex, and Rune of Protection: White, those are next to be bought....along with the Swords & Sigarda's Aid ._.

Hrm, seems like a fine list to start with, you have a lot of power in the deck, Iona, Avacyn, Sun Titan, boop ghost though as the deck is now it doesn't exactly scream like a Eight tails list it seems more like a big white deck with tokens and angels. If you want ideas on what to work with in your deck I use EDHrec, it helped wonders with my Brion list. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/throw-your-problems-at-your-problems/

Looking at this I think the creature base could be improved some as well, I like a lot of your choices.

Hrm, seems like a fine list to start with, you have a lot of power in the deck, Iona, Avacyn, Sun Titan, boop ghost though as the deck is now it doesn't exactly scream like a Eight tails list it seems more like a big white deck with tokens and angels. If you want ideas on what to work with in your deck I use EDHrec, it helped wonders with my Brion list. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/throw-your-problems-at-your-problems/

Yeah, I'm gonna grab more from EDHRec in the future to improve the deck. Right now, I'm trying to decide what to cut for a couple of cards I just got from TCGPlayer: Sensei's Diving Top, Rally The Troops, Empty City Ruse, Defy Death, and Resurrection.

Thinking, off the top of my head:

+1 Rally The Troops, -1 Veteran's Reflexes

+1 Defy Death, -1 Second Thoughts

+1 Empty City Ruse, -1 Excoriate

Drops CMC a tad & adds some old-school MTG Surprises that my playgroup definitely won't suspect.

• 1 month later...

A few of my friends have gotten me back into this unforgiving, heartless, money drain of a game wonderful game. They pretty much play exclusively EDH and have actual refined decks and such (they still budget where they can; they get foreign language versions of cards where they believe some English versions to be too expensive, for example). So, since I didn't want to stay stuck using their decks forever, I decided to set out on building my own deck. We also try to avoid building decks that one of us have already made when we can (for example, one of my friends has a Gitrog deck, so we try to avoid that for familiarity reasons).

Surprisingly, none of my friends had made a Riku of Two Reflections deck yet, so I did! So far it's done pretty well. I'm by no means competitive with this game, but whenever we play 1v1 we do play seriously and I've managed to take a couple of games off my friends' competition decks --including my friend's Kaalia deck, which is arguably the most refined out of any of our group's decks. For once I've made a poor financial decision that has actually made me happy instead of making me laugh at my being considered an adult.

You could try using mtg set editor to come up with your own cards. For example, I started a smash bros themed set once upon a time.

Or use it to remake cards you can't get your hands on, and perhaps re-skinned with new art and flavor text?

I'm curious if anybody here wants to try a community made set for Reborn or other games/themes.

update: built a real nasty prossh edh deck

Got a decklist for it? I'm interested in creating more decks beyond my Riku EDH one. I'm already slowly working on a Mimeoplasm deck, but that's going to take quite a bit of time. I don't want to just blow my money all at once, but I'd like to have future ideas in mind.

You could try using mtg set editor to come up with your own cards. For example, I started a smash bros themed set once upon a time.

Or use it to remake cards you can't get your hands on, and perhaps re-skinned with new art and flavor text?

I'm curious if anybody here wants to try a community made set for Reborn or other games/themes.

I'd be interested in giving it a try. I'm not entirely great when it comes to card balance or anything, but I'm not sure if that's even on your radar when it comes to stuff to worry about for it.

Oh, balance is definitely on my radar, but that's something we can tweak as a community.

I haven't played much of the Reborn game, so that's not high on my list of sets I'd want to make but I'm sure we've got enough fans of

Fire Emblem

Smash

Persona

etc

to get something started. someone should probably start a poll or something so we can pick one to start. I'd just be somewhat useless for a Reborn set, other than balancing

I'm honestly glad I'm not the only one who hasn't finished all of the Reborn game. Anywho, as much as I would love to get the community involved in this, where do we even start? Magic isn't all that popular here to begin with (compared to Yugioh, for example), so I'm not really sure what to do in regards to community involvement.

What's everybody interested in picking up from good ol' Kaladesh? :o

I'm looking at Aerial Responder, Authority of the Consuls, Cataclysmic Gearhulk, Fumigate, and Skywhaler's Shot as potential 8.5 Tails' additions.

In Red for Zada, CToD...and Combustible Gearhulk really ._.

Black & Green for Meren....I'm loving Eliminate the Competition. Gonti, Lost Legacy, and Noxious Gearhulk...Dubious Challenge seems fun, and Wildest Dreams would help too....oh, and Aetherworks Marvel! THAT'S something to tinker with! And land-wise, Blooming Marsh is nice...same with Sequestered Stash.

Enough of me, what about you? Anything catching your eyes?

Chandra the Mind Sculptor Jokes aside, I would like to have her as part of my collection, but I'm not willing to part $60 for her even if she sees a moderate amount of play. I'll just test my luck in packs (plus, it doesn't really effect me too much because I mostly just play Commander, so having just one copy of her would be fine for me).

Speaking of Commander tho, I really would love to get my hands on even just one of those Masterpiece Series Grand Inventions or whatever they're calling them. There's a very low chance of getting them in packs, but they're just so damn beautiful to look at and some of that stuff is literally just made for Commander (Sol Ring, Crucible of Worlds, etc).

I would LOVE one of the Kaladesh Invention versions of the Swords! XO Just....not willing to part with that much for them .____. Might try the box/booster pack lottery and see if I get lucky there before finally giving in to temptation ._.

Eh, I'm willing to try a Mono-Red Burn with CToD....just gotta see if I can make it work in goldfish testing first ._.

So me and my friends each had a box to open up, which is 36(?) booster packs each. I opened up the most mythics at a total of 6, including 2 Plainswalkers. They include:

Overall, it was a pretty ok box. One of my other friends got a better box, pulling Chandra and Nissa as well as a couple Gearhulks. Nobody pulled an invention, sadly.

• 3 months later...

So....anyone pick up a pack or two of Aether Revolt? :o

I figured, screw it...had a few good weeks of work, I'll buy the Bundle. First pack, got myself the Masterpiece MEEKSTONE!!! XO

Nothing too good in White, 3 decent Multicolored, 2 Indomitable Creativity & 1 Kari Zev [Might make a Kari Zev Commander Deck with IC in it....thought to be constructed] in Red, only good Green Card was Monstrous Onslaught, Baral Chief Compliance...Whir of Invention and Trophy Mage for Blue.....

But my Favorites got to be from Black, Yahenni's Expertise...Fatal Push...Cruel Finality...Gonti's Machinations...Perilous Predicament...and Renegade's Getaway.

Overall, I'm happy with what I got from the first ten packs of AR....now I'm gonna just grab singles if anything else jumps out at me :P

What about you all, get what you want from AR?

• 2 months later...