Would you recommend Dragalge?

Katia

I need a poison or steel type in order to beat up fairy pokemon. I originally wanted to train a lucario, but despite being steel type, it won't learn any strong steel moves unless I use a prior episode to use gen 5 mechainics which I don't have.

I thought about getting a roserade, but it has the same problem as Lucario with it's lack of strong poison stab.

I rather not use something like mangezone as I want to stick to pokemon I actually like.

So anyway is Dragalge a good pokemon to use?

Put simply, yeah it is. I've used one and it works well. Sludge Wave/Dragon Pulse/Toxic/Surf is a good way to go. Fills your surfing needs, can toxic bosses and PULSE 'mons, and generally hits really hard while taking hits well.

*Wonders if Katia intentionally pressed the Viri button*

Adaptability is a really strong ability for Dragalge which can decimate fairy types easily but the typing lacks good SE coverage that are stab and the speed is pretty low so do take care against physical attackers.

For some reason I feel that the game may become more speed oriented since dealing the first hit with some field effects may just faint a foe's pokemon.

I rather not use something like mangezone as I want to stick to pokemon I actually like.

That hit me right in the CPU! A critical hit!

How could you not accept Magnezone as the one true Lord and Savior? He fainted for your sins, remember, and was Magnet Risen from the grave.

Fine, then. Even if you reject the power of the Magnet, and insist on turning to other, lesser beings, you won't find Adaptability Dragalge bad at all. If you get one with a good nature, like Modest or Calm, and train it in SpAtk, HP and SpDef (follow Smogon sets if you care or else if it's in-game and casual don't bother) it's certainly a viable member of a team. It learns its best moves, Dragon Pulse, Sludge Bomb and Hydro Pump, naturally, so you don't need to do anything else. Teach it Sludge Wave once you beat Aya, and if you're interested in chain breeding, Toxic Spikes are an excellent 4th move on it. You'll have to breed the move onto an Omanyte, which will then be able to pass the move on to Skrelp.

Edited by Viridescent

Even if you reject the power of the Magnet

Sorry, had to do it.

But yeah jokes aside, I think we all agree Dragalge is a good Pokemon that is worth a spot in most teams. I doubt anyone can possibly make an argument against it. The only thing I would like to point out in Viri's post is that, well, from an in-game point of view Surf is generally better than Hydro Pump (more PPs, better accuracy, utility outside of battle), but this is seriously a minor nitpick.

If Draco Meteor ever becomes available, Adaptability will become all the more precious...