Wii U Pro Controller vs Knockoffs

Dark Desire

I actually bought the Afterglow Wii U Pro Controller, and despite the very limited coloring choices (Blue), it's a very good controller. Idk how a regular one compares to my Afterglow but I do know I enjoy using it for stuff like Smash and Mario Kart 8

I actually bought the Afterglow Wii U Pro Controller, and despite the very limited coloring choices (Blue), it's a very good controller. Idk how a regular one compares to my Afterglow but I do know I enjoy using it for stuff like Smash and Mario Kart 8

I've seen good reviews for the afterglow one but I've been told that the knockoffs especially struggle when it comes to battery life

I just use the Plug in GC controller. What you do is you plug it where a Wii remote nunchuck would go and then just use the GC controller and that's it. It does cost around 20 bucks though, so if you don't want to spend that much, don't buy it.

For Pokken I'd definitely recommend getting a Pro Controller. The game's controls were primarily designed around the Pro Controller, so it'll probably be better in the long run of things. If you're planning on doing anything with, let's say, Sm4sh, then that's a different story as what you use is pretty much determined by what you're comfortable with using. There's people who use the nunchucks competitively for goodness sake.

Ultimately, while I highly recommend you getting an official controller (that doesn't really have any drawbacks, from my experience), I've heard some knock-offs to be decent at best. It's all about quality vs price. For example, nobody really EVER goes for the cheap arcade sticks. The good ones are made by Madcatz and Hori, and they cost (on average) anywhere between $150-$300. But they get a very high quality product spending that kind of money. You should probably use this thinking when approaching buying a controller of any kind. Do you want cheap, or do you want a good investment that'll most likely last longer?

I would under normal circumstances recommend the cheaper option, however Nintendo Pro Controllers have much more longevity, and warranty coverage options for the 3rd party controllers can be super shady. I know someone who lost $30 because the defect that the controller had wasn't covered by warranty for some reason.