I NEED HELP GENIUSES - Physics

Caz

• Developers

So in our physics assignment we have to discuss the formula of dynamic SHM. We did some measurements with a spring and some masses and compared our results to this formula:

equation1.png

We then have to discuss the formula's limitations when applied to a 'baby bouncer'. I've said examples like the material of the spring will be different, the baby will input it's own energy into the system (breaking SHM) and that the mass of the baby is much greater than the mass of my sample masses.

I need more examples of limitations of this formula when applied to a baby bouncer.

HELP ME, I know there are some geniuses on this forum.

Edited by Caz

Oh, and there is all the dissipating heat, like friction (air) and an "incomplete" conversion of energy* (which translates to the heating up of the spring, which cools back down due to the air around it). If you're in high school, the latter won't be considered (it's more physics/physical chemistry). They both cause a transfer of energy from the system to the surroundings, so no conservation of energy in your system.

(*basically: Epot -> Ekin + Q in this situation. Q stands for heat)

does that actually take gravity into effect? which is constantly going in only one direction, constantly changing the distance and time of oscillation.

As you said, the baby doesn't input energy in a regular rhythm or direction... *looks at Alexander's post* um, yeah, all that stuff.

Also, are there any restrictions on the bouncer to keep the baby from bouncing so much that it could potentially cause injury?