Freezing Waters: a dual type challenge attempt.

Yanez

I thought of doing a water/ice duotype run with some twists:

Rules:

1 - I can use Water type Pokemon (as a primary or secondary type) or ones that evolve from Water Pokemon, provided that I evolve them as soon as possible.

1b - As an exception to the above, I can use max one Pokemon that is of a different type, but looks like a sea creature (Inkay, Tynamo or Dragalge)

2 - I can use Ice type Pokemon that are either made of ice (like Vanillite or Avalugg) or are water type too. (This excludes Abomasnow, Piloswine, Jinx etc. as I find that they not fit very well with the team's theme.

2b - I must have at least two Ice type Pokemon in my team as soon as I can have access to them.

3 - I can use Pokemon of different types for HM's, Headbutt etc., but never in trainer battles.

4 - If a Pokemon faints during a battle against a wild Pokemon or against Team Meteor or a gang member, it's dead and must be permaboxed. This is for story reasons: "normal" player would not use the full power of their Pokemon in battles, while wild pokemon do aim to kill and obviously criminals and terrorists too. Problem: I don't want to lose everyone to Garchomp and later Arceus, I will have to find a workaround to it. I am too much of a n00b to use this rule... I would never get past Dr.Connal and his minions for example...

5 - Usable Pokemon have to be nicknamed. The theme will be Greek mythology for the Water types and Norse mythology for the Ice types.

What do you think of it?

I am still in Peridot ward, but I already have a small core of useful Pokemon, with some luck and grinding I think I can beat Fern and Julia, although Team Meteor's Elekid scares me a bit

Here I will post my current team, updating it as I progress:

Name: Nausicaa (Alicia)

Medals: 2

PULSE destroyed: 3 Tangrowth

Team:

Odysseus (Frogadier Male)

Protean
Lv28

Beroe (Bidoof Female)

Moody

Lv26

Clio (Ducklett Female)
Big Pecks
Lv28

Asterope (Goldeen Female)

Lightning Rod

Lv26

Lofn (Vanillite Female)

Ice Body

Lv26

Beroe (Bibarel Female)
Moody
Lv27

Calliroe (Lotad Female)
Own Tempo
Lv23

Honour the fallen:

Urania (Wingull Female) Lv14 - Killed by a Meteor Grunt's Lunatone in Mosswater Factory;
Ran (Seel Female) Lv 20 - Killed by a Wild Carnivine in Jasper Ward.

Once i go a bit further, I will make (maybe, if I have time) some narrative update, including screenshots if I manage to upload them somewhere.

I hope to find the Seel Egg and then the Ducklett one, as well as a Water Type Mystery Egg later...

Edited by Yanez

Seems interesting! There isn't a whole lot of Ice types, unfortunately, so you'll only be getting a few Ice types you can actually use in this run early on.

Anyway, if you get Cacnea or Drowzee from the Seel Egg and the Ducklett Egg, and you don't get a Staryu, you can always post for someone to change it in this thread: http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18256

Hey mate, cool idea, I want to see how does this end.

Tynamo can be catched before Julia if I'm not mistaken, also, you don't need HM slaves in Reborn because the HM works like TM's and can be forgotten.

Also, good luck against Julia and Flobot, not even Vanillite will save you.

I like the idea to be honest but maybe you should add an extra clause that says you can only use each pokemon evolution line once, so that you can't catch a set of disposable pkmn to then just recatch them. With a pkmn evolution line I mean horsea-seadra-kingdra. So if your horsea would die, you can't use seedra or kingdra anymore. Slowpoke could be used twice but slowbro and slowking can each only be used once.

Question: how do you define a sea creature? Is lileep one?

Edited by FairFamily

I like the idea to be honest but maybe you should add an extra clause that says you can only use each pokemon evolution line once, so that you can't catch a set of disposable pkmn to then just recatch them. With a pkmn evolution line I mean horsea-seadra-kingdra. So if your horsea would die, you can't use seedra or kingdra anymore. Slowpoke could be used twice but slowbro and slowking can each only be used once.

Question: how do you define a sea creature? Is lileep one?

Hmm... It seems a reasonable rule, but I am a bit afraid of wiping out to early if I use it. You see, I am not that good and this is not a Nuzlocke, the death clause is just there to give more tension to random encounters with overlevelled Pokemons and with the bad guys. I won't abuse disposable pokemon in any case, but I reserve myself the opportunity of using some successor pokemon, but only if they came from an egg produced by the deceased mon. That would also add a "revenge" feel to their battles with the Meteors :c

I consider Lileep and Anorith "Sea Creatures", yes, but I don't think I will use them: in any case there is only one spot in the team for these exceptions.

Hey mate, cool idea, I want to see how does this end.

Tynamo can be catched before Julia if I'm not mistaken, also, you don't need HM slaves in Reborn because the HM works like TM's and can be forgotten.

Also, good luck against Julia and Flobot, not even Vanillite will save you.

Well, I was thinking more of a situation where I can't access any water or ice pokemon that can learn a certain move that's necessary not to become stuck somplace, but yeah, I probably won't need to use it.

I beat Julia at my second try, I had a strategy based around lightingrod Goldeen and a rollout sweep by Bibarel, but no plan survives first contact with the enemy :c : Goldeen beat Helioptile rather easily, then Bibarel used Rollout to great effect against Emolga and one Voltorb, but fainted due to aftermath. Frogadier avoided the sonicbooms and beat the second Voltorb thanks to Lick and temporary ghost typing. Goldeen beat Blitzle and almost defeated Electrode, but was too slow to use flail when reduced at 1hp and fainted. In the end it was Tynamo who saved the day, finishing Electrode with two overcharged Sparks and managing to tank a sonicboom and the aftermath while being only on Lv12.

Seems interesting! There isn't a whole lot of Ice types, unfortunately, so you'll only be getting a few Ice types you can actually use in this run early on.

Anyway, if you get Cacnea or Drowzee from the Seel Egg and the Ducklett Egg, and you don't get a Staryu, you can always post for someone to change it in this thread: http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18256

Yeah, it will be mostly a water run, at least in the early-mid game, at the moment I only have Vanillite.

Luckily I saw that the egg in the slums is blue, but thank you for pointing me at that thread (I had no idea that was possible :c), I think I will ask if someone can be so gentle as to provide me with Seel and a Water mystery egg.

Sorry for the double posting but I wanted to share my progresses!

I am now just before the battle with Corey, grinfing a bit my team. For now Bibarel has saved me in most boss fights with his moody + Hyper Fang or Rollout he can be a deadly physical sweeper if the RNG is with me.

Frogadier has been vital against the PULSE Tangrowths with his smokescreens and Lick-induced paralysis, but he is pretty fragile and will lack strong moves for a long time.

Lotad is useless now, but I will train it until it learns Giga Drain before letting it evolve.

Goldeen is necessary because lightingrod, but I would like to swap it with some ground/water type as soon as they are available: which one would you suggest? Quagsire, Seismitoad or Gastrodon?

Finally, I got the mystery egg, but it hasn't hatched yet and I suspet it is a Rhyhorn: maybe I will ask for a water pokemon in the relevant thread. EDIT: It was in fact a Rhyhorn :(

Edited by Yanez

IMO Goldeen isn't so bad. It gets Waterfall before evolving, which gives it a nice advantage.

But if you want to change it, I personally prefer Quagsire. Amnesia, Yawn, early Earthquake (the other guys can't get it if you don't have the TM or if you don't want to "time travel" and breed it), what else can you ask for?