Purugly - The Overlooked Powerhouse

RagesSorrow

So I've been recently messing around with some randoms pokes when I came across this thing. Now normally you see it and you're like "Eh, it's just a weak normal type." I thought the same thing, but this thing has some serious power.

Being a normal type it's movepool for physical attack's is nuts. It's main STAB moves are Fake-Out and Return. Keep in mind as well, this thing has some serious speed. Not only does it get Fake Out, but due to it's speed can kill with Return.

It can also tank well if you Assault Vest it with a full attacking set. (I.E Play Rough, Knock Off, Fake Out, Return.) It also has 2 abilities that can be useful. Thick Fat and Defiant. If your opponent lowers your stats while you have defiant you get an attack boost. If they are using Fire or Ice attacks you reduce the damage. Now keep in mind as well, it's defenses are very subpar. Base 64 Def and 59 Sp. Def. So while it's not the tankiest pokemon it can deal some major damage before it goes down.

What do you guys thing? Have you found other pokemon that are like Purugly? What do you think of Purugly in general? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thick Fat to sponge Ice-type attacks and Defiant to discourage Defog. Why not? Every Pokemon that counters Articuno is a good Pokemon in my book, when it comes to PU.

This is the one thing I like about Smogon's work: they have created so many different metagames with their current tiering, that every Pokemon can have a niche somewhere. Well except Watchog, but still...

well if i may critique its true that purugly can be quite threatening when sent out cause of fake out base 112 speed isnt what it used to be true its not slow even by today's meta slower pokemon dominate it but they have a higher offence defense or support options to carry them normal defensive steel type ward them off so easily its free setup against it specially considering using a full utility isnt gonna do much special purugly is almost unplayable and physical one how should i put this fake out super easy prediction and only works on first turn of entry return walled but ghosts steel almost anything else with a decent defense option same problem with last resort the extra damage is helping no one here and the only major status move toxic also side note a paralysis and this thing paper weight on you're team.

now last judgement abilities thick fat as an ability is great but purugly aint gonna survive much as it is, own tempo just never use it and defiant good ability if the opponent switches in a intimidate or defog but with 81 base attack it still isnt gonna do much for any mediocre physical tank or a scarfed offensive pokemon or anything faster in genral.

so verdict not bad but so much more available in higher and lower teirs that can do its job but better.

a tip random battle is good to judge a pokemon on showdown but first try making and using a pokemon in a actual set battle ou uu you're choice a good chance you may be surprised with a pokemons usage in each tier and against each pokemon and with each move as random battle has some really nonsensical movesets and items rotom fan with air balloon anyone so yeah individual tryouts a pokemon in its own tier will be around 65 to 75 percent more viable alone. unless you use an overlooked advantage overall strategy that is

Edited by NovaKnight

Thick Fat to sponge Ice-type attacks and Defiant to discourage Defog. Why not? Every Pokemon that counters Articuno is a good Pokemon in my book, when it comes to PU.

This is the one thing I like about Smogon's work: they have created so many different metagames with their current tiering, that every Pokemon can have a niche somewhere. Well except Watchog, but still...

Yea seriously... Watchog is like the most worthless thing in existence. Like... I don't think anything comes close to that thing in terms of the fact it just can't do anything. About it's only good decent stat is Speed... kinda and I guess attack is... but like... everything else is super garbage. It's best attacking option is typically Super Fang... and it get like... Hypnosis. But like any other sleep inducer is better. Hell I'd use Parasect way faster than this thing XD. It at least has kinda bulk to survive something... kinda, unlike Watchog... who does not.

On subject though I personally think Stoutland is a somewhat strong mon. It's certainly not what it used to be that's for sure, but I think it can still put in some work if you know what you're doing with it.

Purugly is definitely worth considering in PU just becuase of Defiant. However does face a bit of competition from Pawniard. I think it's still a pretty solid pick though since it does have advantages too Pawn ((mostly it's not knock off weak and Fake Out for some good Chip.))

Keep in mind, not every team can afford Pawniard because of its Steel typing, which makes it weak to common offensive types like Fire and Ground. So yeah, teams that are already weak to such types, possibly because they already use another Steel type like Klinglang or Probopass, might be discouraged to use Pawniard, and for those Purugly could be a decent option. The only problem I see is that PU has some defoggers that use Scald (Lumineon, Swanna), and a frail physical attacker like Purugly definitely won't like being burned. But that aside, the cat can do a good work in the tier.

For me, that spot would go to Beheeyem, it is quite a good Trick Room user and boasts a 125 base special attack while having decent bulk 75/75/90 in PU, and surprises many opponents, since many people hardly remember this mon existence.

Edited by TimTim

For me, that spot would go to Beheeyem, it is quite a good Trick Room user and boasts a 125 base special attack while having decent bulk 75/75/90 in PU, and surprises many opponents, since many people hardly remember this mon existence.

I fail to see what this has to do with anything. Purugly is a fast physical sweeper and a Defog punisher, Beheeyem is a TR-using special sweeper. They are completely different Pokemon, heck they could even coexist in the same team, if you use a non-TR set on the little alien (bulky specs can take a hit, and Analytic will then ensure A LOT of damage is dealt back).

I fail to see what this has to do with anything. Purugly is a fast physical sweeper and a Defog punisher, Beheeyem is a TR-using special sweeper. They are completely different Pokemon, heck they could even coexist in the same team, if you use a non-TR set on the little alien (bulky specs can take a hit, and Analytic will then ensure A LOT of damage is dealt back).

True of what you said, i am just giving example of overlooked mons(addressing RagesSorrow's question 'Have you found other pokemon that are like Purugly'), i should probably have phrased it better, i am sorry about that.

Edited by TimTim