I need good online games to play. Any ideas?

Ringabel

Okay. So, I tried playing League of Legends. I give it a fair try. And I was right about it. I know I might get hate for this. However, I found the game to be dull, repetitive, fun draining, and a game with the worst and most inconsistent match making system and worst toxic player base I have ever seen. So, needless to say. I didn't like it. Maybe I'll try it again. But I'm going to try to avoid it as much as I can for a bit. So, without that game, I have nothing to play with friends. I could play Smash and Splatoon, but my Wii U is broke and I use a desktop and can't therefor can't skype at the same time as playing even if my Wii U it did work. I would play stuff on my 3DS, but Monster Hunter doesn't sound like my thing and I don't like online Pokemon battling. Plus it's missing in my room, but I'm moving very soon. So it wil lbe found before we leave. But now, I pretty much got nothing to play with friends. I have this one browser-based MMO called "Spiral Knights" that's backed/made by SEGA. But nobody I know plays that. I have Team Fortress 2, but I suck at that. So, I come you to ask if you have any cheep-to-free online games for me. I honestly don't know where to go for online games anymore. So, take it away, Reborn!

Okay. So, I tried playing League of Legends. I give it a fair try. And I was right about it. I know I might get hate for this. However, I found the game to be dull, repetitive, fun draining, and a game with the worst and most inconsistent match making system and worst toxic player base I have ever seen. So, needless to say. I didn't like it. Maybe I'll try it again. But I'm going to try to avoid it as much as I can for a bit. So, without that game, I have nothing to play with friends. I could play Smash and Splatoon, but my Wii U is broke and I use a desktop and can't therefor can't skype at the same time as playing even if my Wii U it did work. I would play stuff on my 3DS, but Monster Hunter doesn't sound like my thing and I don't like online Pokemon battling. Plus it's missing in my room, but I'm moving very soon. So it wil lbe found before we leave. But now, I pretty much got nothing to play with friends. I have this one browser-based MMO called "Spiral Knights" that's backed/made by SEGA. But nobody I know plays that. I have Team Fortress 2, but I suck at that. So, I come you to ask if you have any cheep-to-free online games for me. I honestly don't know where to go for online games anymore. So, take it away, Reborn!

Well, to be honest, if I had the premise of Monster Hunter described to myself 7 years ago, I'd probably not think that it sounds very fun either.

It doesn't matter if MH doesn't sound like your thing. The only way you'll know if you enjoy it for sure is if you try the game out yourself(either by buying/renting it yourself, or borrowing a copy from a friend. Not playing the demos because they suck for new players). It would certainly be worth your money since you can easily sink hundreds of hours into it if you give it a chance.

Hmm... Games that are cheap...

-Terraria has servers, but you'd need to set up your own one if want a private world to play with friends. It tends to go on sale pretty frequently.

-There's Hearthstone or the Pokemon TCG if you like card games, both of which are free.

-Pokemon Mystery Universe is a fan-made online game based off of mystery dungeon. Reborn has a guild there.

-Phantasy Star Online 2 is a free-2-play MMO, but it's in Japanese. You can look up a way to sign up, download and watch the game with an English translating around Reborn's Gaming General sub-forum if you're interested.

-Rock of Ages is a Monty Python-esque game which is where you and your opponent race boulders downhill to break down the enemy's front doors and squish them. During the time when your boulder is being constructed, you can lay down obstacles to slow down your opponent.

-Screencheat is an interesting shooter where you and your opponents are all invisible. How are you supposed to find your opponents? By screencheating. You can see your screen and all of your opponents screens regardless of whether you're playing local or online. May the biggest screencheating scumbag win!

-Awesomenauts is a casual, 2D MOBA. It's not free, but it costs about €10 last time I checked. Not sure if you'll be willing to give another MOBA a try, but the option exists if you want to consider it.

Edited by aquawaffle

I think I'll try Pokemon Mystery Universe. Wish me luck!

EDIT:Really dumb thing. But I got stuck in my house because I don't how to start typing in chat instead of controlling the game. I tried enter and / but neither work and I feel like an idiot right now.

Edited by Ringabel

Thanks, Aqya. I liked the PMU game. A little clunky, but fun. Also... Really? Another MOBA? After I slammed LoL so hard? I don't really see how having less creative characters and a switched camera view is gonna help much. Anyone else got ideas?

I'd suggest Warframe, it's free to play with soft PC Requirements and it's a blast. Lots of variation as to how you can approach the game, it's an action oriented third person game; parkour plays a role along with gun play, melee play, and variations of powers between Warframes.

Other than that, Wildstar went free to play, and it's not bad either.

Also, they're not "less creative characters" they're actual gods from real religions, some of which I'm pretty sure still have a following; so careful with what you say about that stuff. Then again, I always recognized League to have a lot of cookie cutter characters myself, which sapped the appeal a tad.

I'd suggest Warframe, it's free to play with soft PC Requirements and it's a blast. Lots of variation as to how you can approach the game, it's an action oriented third person game; parkour plays a role along with gun play, melee play, and variations of powers between Warframes.

Other than that, Wildstar went free to play, and it's not bad either.

Also, they're not "less creative characters" they're actual gods from real religions, some of which I'm pretty sure still have a following; so careful with what you say about that stuff. Then again, I always recognized League to have a lot of cookie cutter characters myself, which sapped the appeal a tad.

I know what they are, and I think the fact they're based on Gods instead of the rules of a world is un-creative compared to League. I say what I will about League, but the lore , world, and characters in that game are amazing. Never the less, Smite is free, so I'm downloading it on Steam right now because it's free. If it stays on my pc come the end of next day, we have yet to see. I"m betting on it WON'T but I am hoping to be wrong on that.

I know what they are, and I think the fact they're based on Gods instead of the rules of a world is un-creative compared to League. I say what I will about League, but the lore , world, and characters in that game are amazing. Never the less, Smite is free, so I'm downloading it on Steam right now because it's free. If it stays on my pc come the end of next day, we have yet to see. I"m betting on it WON'T but I am hoping to be wrong on that.

That's funny, seeing as every league character is a riff off of other characters.

*Prepares a long list of mmos i've played*
Guild Wars 2 is a pretty good game that you can play pretty casual on and off, and has pretty good story and unique combat system. I'd highly suggest this one if you don't like the huge grind of mmo's (EXP is earned through map completion, so you'll never be killing the same mob or doing the same thing at all, which is pretty fun as you get to explore the whole map and see the beautiful scenery and details put into the game.)
Wildstar was also mentioned above, which is nice. Wildstar still uses the usual quest system in order to level up, but I found it really fun to play, and especially is with friends if you manage to convince some people. Also, the wardrobe system or costume system is pretty well done, and the map is just absolutely stunning, I would say it would rival Guild Wars 2's maps, but they're both really good.
Trove is a pretty unique experience, too. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it gets very grindy in the end-game, but It has a ton of content and things to do. It does a great job at using voxels for its graphics and can create very detailed models with just voxels. Best of all... A LOT OF THE THINGS IN TROVE ARE COMMUNITY MADE! You can easily submit your own models if you wanted to, and if they're good enough, they might just be entered in the game.
Below are the ones I haven't actually tried yet or played, or maybe not played enough of, but I've heard very very good things about.
Path of Exile - Like Diablo? Similar to Diablo in many ways, such as randomly generated maps and combat system.
Planetside 2 - Huge open-world dogfights and stuff. Also, sci-fi genre! (I think?)
Tera - Mentioned above, but it has really impressed me when I played a good amount of it. Stunning graphics, nice combat system so gameplay doesn't get dull, and flashy skills!
Neverwinter - Hard to explain, pretty alright combat system, large map, and stunning graphics.
Nosgoth - Humans vs Vampires PvP game, heard it's really fun because certain humans or vampires have unique playstyles and abilities, so check that out too.
Vindictus - Yeah yeah I know, it's a Nexon game, so it's bound to be P2W, but it's pretty good, and I feel is definitely better than Maplestory. Good amount of classes to choose from.
Elsword - I was actually a beta tester for this game, but I haven't touched it ever since, but go check it out. It was pretty fun when I played it in beta so it's bound to captivate you some way or another.

I can't think of anything else, but that should be a good amount to choose from. Happy gaming!

I've learned I won't really get into anymore MMORPGs other than Spiral Knights, which is more like a top-down Zelda MMO. And I tried the Smite tutorial. I ahted it. And now everyday of life seams the same. Ugh. Come on, guys, think outside the box! I'm okay with flash games. Please keep trying!

*Takes out paid games out* Counter Strike Global Offensive? It's about 15-6 dollars on steam, and it has support. Rivals of Aether is 20 dollars but in early access. It is a smash-esque game but my advice, don't use the key board. Cramps will come from that and I am a cross console/pc gamer. And last one is warframe but it is free and partly p2w if you don't like grinding for new classes.

Tbh, League is the worst of the "Big 3" MOBAS in my opinion, despite being the most popular. The gameplay is easily the least enjoyable of any of the 3, though I'll admit that League seems the most beginner friendly if you want to get into MOBAs. The only reason I forced myself to learn how to play it was because I liked a few of the character designs and I know a lot of people who play. DoTA 2 and Smite are both far better, Smite for the camera angle and skillshots, and DoTA for the creativity of the movesets(I like to think of their balancing strategy as "Make everyone OP, so nobody is") and the much nicer looking map than League. Although, you said you don't like Smite or League, so maybe MOBAs just aren't your thing.

Otherwise I can recommend Killing Floor. It's a zombie survival game available for purchase on Steam (And you can actually win). It has a sequel now, though I haven't played that, so I can only recommend the original. It's pretty cheap now anyway since the sequel came out.(I would look into the sequel if the game seems interesting though). It has online multiplayer, which is a blast to play with friends, though it's usually great no matter who you're with. There are multiple classes to choose from and level up and multiple difficulties ranging from pretty easy to impossible.

I've learned I won't really get into anymore MMORPGs other than Spiral Knights, which is more like a top-down Zelda MMO. And I tried the Smite tutorial. I ahted it. And now everyday of life seams the same. Ugh. Come on, guys, think outside the box! I'm okay with flash games. Please keep trying!

But have you tried them? You can't just immediately know if a game is good or bad off of first impressions. Don't judge a book by its cover and all that. But anyway, is there anything that you're actually looking for? Like, describe. You didn't really actually give a clear description of what you're looking for in a game, so that makes giving games to play more hard.