Aerodactyl, Swanna or Noivern?

wytch_doctr

Currently my team lacks a few things. A Dark/Ghost Type, Water Type and a Rock Type. I have an Ice type in Mamoswine but it would be nice to have a stronger move than Ice Shard. (Priority is nice though.)

At the moment I have Swanna and Noivern in the team. Swanna was originally my water HM slave but became part of the team during Charlotte as my Rain Dancer. Noivern was raised from level 3 but I rarely use him. And I got Aerodactyl recently in the Powerful Staraptor trade.

Here's some movesets (hopefully final)

Swanna:

Bashful (neutral) Hydration

Rain Dance

Surf

Brave Bird

Dive (current) Ice Beam (future, if Ame gives us the TM soon)

Noivern:

Jolly (+Speed -SpAtk) Telepathy - Change to Infiltrator?

Flamethrower

Dark Pulse

Brick Break (current) Boomburst/Dragon Pulse(future)

Fly

Aerodactyl:

Adamant (+Atk -SpAtk) Unnerve - Change to Pressure?

Fly

Ice Fang

Crunch/Iron Head

Rock Slide

I would say Noivern and Aerodactyl, but then I'd have a huge hole in the water type area. Plus, Swanna's type only has 2 weaknesses. Maybe I could train it up additionally, but I don't like switching team members. It's too much effort to keep them all at the same level.

Swanna is just bad. For Noivern (which has a terrible nature btw, you DON'T want -Sp.Atk on a special attacker) and Aerodactyl, Noivern is better. But Aerodactyl is just a bad Archeops, and Archeops is way better than Noivern; hits harder, a bit frailer but neither can take a hit, way better coverage (Rock Slide/Head Smash, Earthquake (E12 breeding, check the pinned guide in this section for details), Crunch, Dragon Claw, Endeavor, Shadow Claw, Acrobatics/Fly/Bounce, Iron Tail). Defeatist can be a pain, but you can still use Endeavor for that, and it hits so hard, you won't get hit because the foe's gonna be killed in one Shot most of the time.

Huh. I never really considered Archeops to be honest. I thought that defeatist would make it next to unusable. Also, Mega Aerodactyl could be a potential in future. Not a big fan of breeding either, but i'll try it out. Thanks for the tips, though. I guess we won't be getting an Earthquake TM for a very long time, so no Earthquake Aerodactyl.

How does EQ,

Rock Slide (I don't like Recoil moves, no Head Smash. 80 acc too)

Acrobatics and

Crunch sound? Or I could swap Acrobatics for Endeavour or Dragon Claw

Huh. I never really considered Archeops to be honest. I thought that defeatist would make it next to unusable. Also, Mega Aerodactyl could be a potential in future. Not a big fan of breeding either, but i'll try it out. Thanks for the tips, though. I guess we won't be getting an Earthquake TM for a very long time, so no Earthquake Aerodactyl.

How does EQ,

Rock Slide (I don't like Recoil moves, no Head Smash. 80 acc too)

Acrobatics and

Crunch sound? Or I could swap Acrobatics for Endeavour or Dragon Claw

Yeah, no Defeatist is no issue...mostly cause it likely won't live anyways, but then again, none of the 4 flying types mentioned in this thread can take hits well. And I know you're saying you're not a fan of breeding, but check that guide. It shows you how to use CE to finish it up in a few minutes. And EQ really comes in handy, so I'd say it's definitely worth it.

Also, that's only 3 moves :P

I run EQ, Rock Slide, Acrobatics and Dragon Claw (DC cause Dragon-type's weaknesses aren't common, so having a fast strong SE hit on them should come in handy against Saphira).

If you're not going for EQ, I'd say make Endeavor your 4th move.

Oh, and another option for a set, if you want an accurate Rock STAB, give it a Wide Lens and replace Acrobatics with Bounce. Bounce is a bit weaker, but you don't have to worry about missing RS and Bounce has a 30% paralysis rate.

Btw, Crunch is bad coverage. Ever since Radomus, we've been seeing almost no Psychic or Ghost types.

How about Fly for Bounce? - More accurate, more powerful too. I can live without a little bit of paralysis.

U-Turn seems to be a good move to have at hand too. Plenty of Dark types to kill. Also if a stray psychic type does come up, that would do the job.

There's just so much in Archeops' kit that I like. I can't believe I missed it.

Rain Dance is a little bit odd on Swanna, too frail to set up, i would use a bulkier mon(7th street Piplup/Empoleon for example) to set up rain dance and then Swanna with Hurricane(that is if you insists on keeping Swanna~Agree wiith Etesian on Crunch(not a good coverage, plus not STAB means less than desirable damages and lackluster against the likes of Musharna, Bronzong Gothitelle), but i will still keep Acrobatics(most powerful STAB without recoil)~I assume you have outrage on Arcanine, that means Dragon has already been taken care of, so D.Claw is not needed on Aero if thats the case~

Rain Dance is a little bit odd on Swanna, too frail to set up, i would use a bulkier mon(7th street Piplup/Empoleon for example) to set up rain dance and then Swanna with Hurricane(that is if you insists on keeping Swanna~Agree wiith Etesian on Crunch(not a good coverage, plus not STAB means less than desirable damages and lackluster against the likes of Musharna, Bronzong Gothitelle), but i will still keep Acrobatics(most powerful STAB without recoil)~I assume you have outrage on Arcanine, that means Dragon has already been taken care of, so D.Claw is not needed on Aero if thats the case~

I guess Swanna isn't that good overall. I wanted to try out a few new things. New Meta and all that.

I think ima axe Swanna. The poor bird got no love.

And Outrage Arcanine.... (oops) I was a little bit rushed when evolving him. I guess i'm paying the price now. Maybe Dragon Claw Archeops/Aerodactyl would do? And Noivern can put out a mean Dragon Pulse. Dual Chop Sceptile perhaps.

How about Fly for Bounce? - More accurate, more powerful too. I can live without a little bit of paralysis.

U-Turn seems to be a good move to have at hand too. Plenty of Dark types to kill. Also if a stray psychic type does come up, that would do the job.

There's just so much in Archeops' kit that I like. I can't believe I missed it.

Fly is only 5 BP stronger than Bounce, and Bounce has 94% accuracy with a Wide Lens. Though if you want power, just run Acrobatics. I only listed Wide Lens as an option.

And U-Turn is one of the best moves in competitive, but it's a waste of a moveslot in-game. In comp, you use it for momentum, but in-game, no enemies ever switch, and 70 non-STAB BP is nothing to write home about. Also, Psychic types that are very physically-frail, so you don't need anything for them if you already have a physical attacker as powerful as Archeops.

Training Growlithe is patience demanding, its perfectly understandable when one wants to evolve it hastily, esp when the speed IV is friggin 2(i cringed whenever i see a single digit IV on a mon and i am too lazy to soft reset)~I hope Ame has mercy on you and give Sceptilite on next release~

Fly is only 5 BP stronger than Bounce, and Bounce has 94% accuracy with a Wide Lens. Though if you want power, just run Acrobatics. I only listed Wide Lens as an option.

And U-Turn is one of the best moves in competitive, but it's a waste of a moveslot in-game. In comp, you use it for momentum, but in-game, no enemies ever switch, and 70 non-STAB BP is nothing to write home about. Also, Psychic types that are very physically-frail, so you don't need anything for them if you already have a physical attacker as powerful as Archeops.

I guess I can live with 90% acc rock slide. I think I'll go for D-Claw for coverage, since i don't think Archeops can live to Endeavor to good use.

Training Growlithe is patience demanding, its perfectly understandable when one wants to evolve it hastily, esp when the speed IV is friggin 2(i cringed whenever i see a single digit IV on a mon and i am too lazy to soft reset)~I hope Ame has mercy on you and give Sceptilite on next release~

Heh, 29 speed IV ;P..... but 6 Atk IV. I got a +SpAtk Nature so I can run flamethrower fine. I dunno how but I got 164 Atk EVs on Arcanine, so the two stats are basically the same. I evolved my Growlithe when he got Flamethrower, and to get that ExtremeSpeed.

I don't think Ame would give the Starter's Megas. Its just kinda unfair to the players who didn't choose Gen1 or Gen3 Starters. No STAB Dual Chop for me ;-;

I'd probably say go for Noivern, though I've heard Crobat does wonders. Apparently, he got axed as a Zubat due to his acrobatics being quite over powered, though, I'm not sure if your looking at a different Pokemon to add to you team.

Another thing - ever since Mamoswine learned Earthquake I really had no need for any other ground moves. He lives fire attacks cause of Thick Fat, and he deals the pain. Mamoswine isn't even that slow, even with a -Spd nature. So I'm not exactly sure I need another ground move desperately.

Wait, so what are you running? Acrobatics, Rock Slide, Dragon Claw, ___?

Um... Either EQ (if i breed) or I can go to Agate Circus and teach it Iron Tail. It's a pretty strong move for any fairy types that come in my way. (Good enough for Ash's Pikachu, good enough for me)

Another thing - ever since Mamoswine learned Earthquake I really had no need for any other ground moves. He lives fire attacks cause of Thick Fat, and he deals the pain. Mamoswine isn't even that slow, even with a -Spd nature. So I'm not exactly sure I need another ground move desperately.

Still, it's not that hard to outspeed Mamo and it's Sp.Def is not that great, so it's nice to have a back-up Ground move for when Mamo's down, since that let's Archeops hit all of it's weaknesses super-effectively (except for Water). And it's also a matter of "what the hell else do you run?" since it's way better than all other non-STAB moves it gets.

Um... Either EQ (if i breed) or I can go to Agate Circus and teach it Iron Tail. It's a pretty strong move for any fairy types that come in my way. (Good enough for Ash's Pikachu, good enough for me)

Iron Tail is pretty bad, to be honest. It hits Rock that's also hit by EQ, Ice that's hit by your STAB and Fairy which is...Fairy, the only decently-physically bulky Fairy types are Azumarill (100-80) and Granbull (90-75), nothing else is gonna take a physical move well at all.

Edited by Etesian

LOL, Ash's Pikachu doesnt even holding a Light Ball, anime logics dictate that non STAB no boost from items can 2HKO an opponent who's resisted and hindering ability most recently on Luxray(doubt Clemont has Guts, so probably Intimidate Luxray), plus Ash's Pikachu always never miss with his Iron Tail, while the move only has 75 acc~

LOL, Ash's Pikachu doesnt even holding a Light Ball, anime logics dictate that non STAB no boost from items can 2HKO an opponent who's resisted and hindering ability most recently on Luxray(doubt Clemont has Guts, so probably Intimidate Luxray), plus Ash's Pikachu always never miss with his Iron Tail, while the move only has 75 acc~

Anime Logic my friend. Ice Beam has 100% freeze chance. Imagine that in the games.

Still, it's not that hard to outspeed Mamo and it's Sp.Def is not that great, so it's nice to have a back-up Ground move for when Mamo's down, since that let's Archeops hit all of it's weaknesses super-effectively (except for Water). And it's also a matter of "what the hell else do you run?" since it's way better than all other non-STAB moves it gets.
Iron Tail is pretty bad, to be honest. It hits Rock that's also hit by EQ, Ice that's hit by your STAB and Fairy which is...Fairy, the only decently-physically bulky Fairy types are Azumarill (100-80) and Granbull (90-75), nothing else is gonna take a physical move well at all.

Thats funny cause my Mamo is -Spd and +SpDef. I've seen him take hits from Rawrlotte (Charlotte) like a king.

Argh. EQ seems to be the best bet. Knock Off can be good in some cases, maybe.

Also, if memory serves me right, all the move tutors in Reborn teach Gen VI move tutor moves. That means possibly there will be a tutor for Aqua Tail and Zen Headbutt, both of which can be learned by Archeops.

Thats funny cause my Mamo is -Spd and +SpDef. I've seen him take hits from Rawrlotte (Charlotte) like a king.

Argh. EQ seems to be the best bet. Knock Off can be good in some cases, maybe.

Also, if memory serves me right, all the move tutors in Reborn teach Gen VI move tutor moves. That means possibly there will be a tutor for Aqua Tail and Zen Headbutt, both of which can be learned by Archeops.

Right, mixed up SpD and Speed. I guess that's fine, but you can see what I'm getting at.

Could be, same power (100BP if foe has an item), it's just that EQ's coverage is way better.

Yeah. But still, just like with all the Megas, it's a matter of if and when the hell we're gonna get any, so let's think about Aqua Tail and Zen Headbutt when they're available.

Right, mixed up SpD and Speed. I guess that's fine, but you can see what I'm getting at.

Could be, same power (100BP if foe has an item), it's just that EQ's coverage is way better.

Yeah. But still, just like with all the Megas, it's a matter of if and when the hell we're gonna get any, so let's think about Aqua Tail and Zen Headbutt when they're available.

I think I'll go with Knock Off because its easier to obtain it's somewhat more useful. Sure, EQ is great and powerful as all hell but I'm FAR too much of a noob to Chain Breed. Let's just hope Ame is generous with the Tutors *winks*

Edited by wytch_doctr

I think I'll go with Knock Off because its easier to obtain it's somewhat more useful. Sure, EQ is great and powerful as all hell but I'm FAR too much of a noob to Chain Breed. Let's just hope Ame is generous with the Tutors *winks*

┐(‘~` )┌ Whatever floats your boat although the chain is literally just Wooper>Corsola>Archen but ah well. Good luck with that!

┐(‘~` )┌ Whatever floats your boat although the chain is literally just Wooper>Corsola>Archen but ah well. Good luck with that!

Hehe. Also, on a semi unerlated note, Gogoat seems like a powerful Pokemon. EQ, Aerial Ace, Horn Leech and Milk Drink seems powerful. I mean, if Sceptile decides to die to a random supereffective move I'd still have this Gogoat to back it up. And all these moves WITHOUT BREEDING ^-^

And I completely forgot about Flygon, my favorite Mega Pokemon. EQ, Flamethrower/Crunch (just in case, ok?), D-Claw and Superpower

Hehe. Also, on a semi unerlated note, Gogoat seems like a powerful Pokemon. EQ, Aerial Ace, Horn Leech and Milk Drink seems powerful. I mean, if Sceptile decides to die to a random supereffective move I'd still have this Gogoat to back it up. And all these moves WITHOUT BREEDING ^-^

And I completely forgot about Flygon, my favorite Mega Pokemon. EQ, Flamethrower/Crunch (just in case, ok?), D-Claw and Superpower

I dont know what GF is thinking these days~ Why give a cool designed goat an underwhelming speed and unimpressive defense, do they hate goats so much?