Gallade or Gardevoir?

trippineverywhere

Obviously as the title states, which would you recommend being better as of where I am currently in the story? Fighting Noel right now, but I need to grind up some more, and I think leveling up my Ralts would be nice to do alongside the grinding.

Sure, Gallade has access to more moves, and has fewer weaknesses in general, and would be pretty well in this fight against Noel.

But Gardevoir has an incredible Sp ATK, and can easily sweep better.

Currently, I have 1 good Psychic type and 1 good Fighting type on my team. (Meowstic, and Scrafty), so I have room for both of them without overstocking up on a type.

Also, if Gallade proves to be the better of the two, where can I grab a Dawn Stone (if one is available as of now.)

Thanks!

Well, Gardevoir is better than Gallade and also fits your team better (ditch that Meowstic). But to be honest, there's better for both. There's a lot of better options.

-For Gallade, Medicham has the slightly better physical bulk, worse Sp.Def (although neither is supposed to be tanking hits anyways), waaaay better offenses, equal speed and better coverage.

-For Gardevoir, most people seem to run Calm Mind, but it's slow and can't take a physical hit at all, so you'll often just be outsped and killed. If you don't run CM, there's a lot of Pokemon that have equal or higher Sp.Atk. Say, Reuniclus can take hits on both sides way better than Gardevoir, is much more reliable and can run both CM and Trick Room, TR either supporting slower teams or just helping out this really-hard-to-kill blob. If you don't care about CM, Alakazam is waaay faster and hits way harder. Gothitelle initially doesn't hit as hard as Gardevoir, but has way better physical defense, so it can afford to set up more CMs, so it ends up hitting harder. It's also at a speed tier where you can run Trick Room as well, though Reuniclus is better than Gothitelle all around.

'Course, those are just the ones I consider to be "upgraded versions" of Kirlia's evos. Say the word and I'll come up with some Fighting/Fairy alternatives

Edited by Etesian

what about both?

they are both good in reborn, and i definitely recommend getting both for your team!

though if you only wanted one, just go with garde!

Missed out on the Ditto opportunity in the Black Steam factory, so I can't breed for now.

Well, Gardevoir is better than Gallade and also fits your team better (ditch that Meowstic). But to be honest, there's better for both. There's a lot of better options.

-For Gallade, Medicham has the slightly better physical bulk, worse Sp.Def (although neither is supposed to be tanking hits anyways), waaaay better offenses, equal speed and better coverage.

-For Gardevoir, most people seem to run Calm Mind, but it's slow and can't take a physical hit at all, so you'll often just be outsped and killed. If you don't run CM, there's a lot of Pokemon that have equal or higher Sp.Atk. Say, Reuniclus can take hits on both sides way better than Gardevoir, is much more reliable and can run both CM and Trick Room, TR either supporting slower teams or just helping out this really-hard-to-kill blob. If you don't care about CM, Alakazam is waaay faster and hits way harder. Gothitelle initially doesn't hit as hard as Gardevoir, but has way better physical defense, so it can afford to set up more CMs, so it ends up hitting harder. It's also at a speed tier where you can run Trick Room as well, though Reuniclus is better than Gothitelle all around.

'Course, those are just the ones I consider to be "upgraded versions" of Kirlia's evos. Say the word and I'll come up with some Fighting/Fairy alternatives

I'd love to hear about your Fighting/Fairy alternatives. Could prove to be very useful in many cases.

For Fighting types, I've done this before, so mind if I just copy-paste?

Now, for a Fighting type, there's 5 really good ones in Reborn, Hitmonlee, Toxicroak, Mienshao, Hawlucha and Scarfty. The only ones of those you can get right now are Toxicroak, Machamp and Scrafty, though you'd have to wait a few gyms more and you can get all of them, but you'd need to wait almost as long to get their best moves, like Dragon Dance on Scrafty. For movesets, best would be:

-Unburden, Blaze Kick, High Jump Kick, Bullet/Mach Punch, Thief (TM later) for Hitmonlee. Another option would be Reversal and Endure instead of High Jump Kick and Blaze Kick or the priority, that option lets you get the Unburden boost easier, though Gems are a thing, so it's no big deal anyways.

-Poison Touch, Poison Jab, Drain Punch, Sucker Punch, Bulk Up (E12) for Toxicroak. The chain for both Drain Punch and Bulk Up is in the guide.

-Reckless, High Jump Kick, Knock Off, Acrobatics(E12 or TM waaaaay later)/Poison Jab(E12)/Rock Slide (E12) for Mienshao (Farfetch'd for Knock Off, Acrobatics and/or Poison Jab, Camerupt>Donphan>Mienfoo for Knock Off and Rock Slide(Acrobatics is a TM you get way later)).

-Unburden, High Jump Kick, Acrobatics, Swords Dance/Poison Jab(E12)/Rock Slide(E12) for Hawlucha (just continue the chain for Mienshao to get these moves onto Hawlucha) (Feather Dance is also an option to make setting up stupidly easy, which is why I'd say it's the best Fighting type in the game right now)

-Moxie, Dragon Dance, Ice Punch, High Jump Kick, Crunch for Scrafty. Since this one doesn't have Unburden, you can give it a Wide Lens to make High Jump Kick 99% accurate.

For Fairy types, you've got yourself Granbull, Clefable, Sylveon, Azumarill (if you did the Growlithe trade before E15 or if you get lucky in E15) and I guess Whimsicott.

-Granbull is pretty physically bulk especially with Intimidate, has great coverage and hits pretty hard. It's especially useful if you have a TR setter to help with that terrible speed.

-Clefable's biggest plus is that it has the bulk that let's it pull of a Minimize, Charge Beam, Cosmic Power, Stored Power set very well. Minimize makes you almost unhittable (especially with Cute Charm as it's ability), Comsic Power makes it so that you take almost no damage when you do get hit, Charge Beam buffs up that not-so-great Sp.Atk, Stored Power is your nuke button. With evasion, both defenses and your sp.atk at max, Stored Power has 500 BP, which is frightening without taking into account that your Sp.Atk is at +6.

-Sylveon's my favorite Fairy type because of it's combination of Pixilate and Trump Card, which gives it a 390 BP nuke which can be fired off turn one (just go waste some PP battling wild Pokemon or something). It's also got godly Sp.Def. But like all Eevelutions, it's other coverage options are terrible.

-Azumarill can be used in 2 ways, either a Belly Drum set-up-er (though that means you'll almost exclusively be using Aqua Jet) or just with 4 attacks (where you can do whatever you want, Azumarill has the bulk to take a hit or two).

-Whimsicott is really more of a supporter, it's Sp.Atk is really not that good. But it can trivialize all "boss fights", against a single Pokemon that's much higher level than any of yours, which happen a lot. But if that's what you wanna use it for, a Prankster Murkrow with Perish Song is way better. I wouldn't use either as a member of my default 6 though.

For sets, in order:

-Intimidate, Play Rough, Outrage/Fire/Thunder/Ice Fang/Crunch/Close Combat/Brick Break(TM later)/ Iron Tail(tutor later)/Earthquake(pre-E13 breeding(the chain would be Sandshrew/Diglett/Wooper/Numel>Snubbul or Sandshrew/Diglett/Wooper/Numel>Mankey>Snubbul for EQ and CC))

-Cute Charm, Minimize, Comsic Power, Charge Beam, Stored Power.

-Pixilate, Trump Card, Hidden Power (ideally Ground), Shadow Ball, Round (TM in the Obsidia Department Store). Another options would be Trump Card (without wasting PP in the wild), Round, Curse and Hidden Power Ground/Dig. Curse buffs up your bad physical defense, so that you can stay in on anything and spam Pixilated moves. Ground+Fairy is almost perfect neutral coverage, so use either Dig or Hidden Power Ground (Dig is obviously way easier to get, pre-E13 breeding (via Sandshrew/Diglett/Onix/Dunsparce>Eevee))

-Huge Power, Belly Drum, Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Play Rough or Huge Power, Waterfall, Play Rough, Superpower/Bounce (tutor later)/Brick Break/Aqua Jet/Body Slam.

-Prankster, Tailwind/Memento/Leech Seed/Encore/Stun Powder. (Just FYI, Prankster only ups the priority of status moves by 1 level, so Trick Room would still have -6 priority)

For where I said "pre-E13" or "E12", that's where you need the old breeding system where TMs could be passed on. The pinned guide here should cover all your needs and/or you can send me a PM.

Edited by Etesian

For Fighting types, I've done this before, so mind if I just copy-paste?

Now, for a Fighting type, there's 5 really good ones in Reborn, Hitmonlee, Toxicroak, Mienshao, Hawlucha and Scarfty. The only ones of those you can get right now are Toxicroak, Machamp and Scrafty, though you'd have to wait a few gyms more and you can get all of them, but you'd need to wait almost as long to get their best moves, like Dragon Dance on Scrafty. For movesets, best would be:

-Unburden, Blaze Kick, High Jump Kick, Bullet/Mach Punch, Thief (TM later) for Hitmonlee. Another option would be Reversal and Endure instead of High Jump Kick and Blaze Kick or the priority, that option lets you get the Unburden boost easier, though Gems are a thing, so it's no big deal anyways.

-Poison Touch, Poison Jab, Drain Punch, Sucker Punch, Bulk Up (E12) for Toxicroak. The chain for both Drain Punch and Bulk Up is in the guide.

-Reckless, High Jump Kick, Knock Off, Acrobatics(E12 or TM waaaaay later)/Poison Jab(E12)/Rock Slide (E12) for Mienshao (Farfetch'd for Knock Off, Acrobatics and/or Poison Jab, Camerupt>Donphan>Mienfoo for Knock Off and Rock Slide(Acrobatics is a TM you get way later)).

-Unburden, High Jump Kick, Acrobatics, Swords Dance/Poison Jab(E12)/Rock Slide(E12) for Hawlucha (just continue the chain for Mienshao to get these moves onto Hawlucha) (Feather Dance is also an option to make setting up stupidly easy, which is why I'd say it's the best Fighting type in the game right now)

-Moxie, Dragon Dance, Ice Punch, High Jump Kick, Crunch for Scrafty. Since this one doesn't have Unburden, you can give it a Wide Lens to make High Jump Kick 99% accurate.

For Fairy types, you've got yourself Granbull, Clefable, Sylveon, Azumarill (if you did the Growlithe trade before E15 or if you get lucky in E15) and I guess Whimsicott.

-Granbull is pretty physically bulk especially with Intimidate, has great coverage and hits pretty hard. It's especially useful if you have a TR setter to help with that terrible speed.

-Clefable's biggest plus is that it has the bulk that let's it pull of a Minimize, Charge Beam, Cosmic Power, Stored Power set very well. Minimize makes you almost unhittable (especially with Cute Charm as it's ability), Comsic Power makes it so that you take almost no damage when you do get hit, Charge Beam buffs up that not-so-great Sp.Atk, Stored Power is your nuke button. With evasion, both defenses and your sp.atk at max, Stored Power has 500 BP, which is frightening without taking into account that your Sp.Atk is at +6.

-Sylveon's my favorite Fairy type because of it's combination of Pixilate and Trump Card, which gives it a 390 BP nuke which can be fired off turn one (just go waste some PP battling wild Pokemon or something). It's also got godly Sp.Def. But like all Eevelutions, it's other coverage options are terrible.

-Azumarill can be used in 2 ways, either a Belly Drum set-up-er (though that means you'll almost exclusively be using Aqua Jet) or just with 4 attacks (where you can do whatever you want, Azumarill has the bulk to take a hit or two).

-Whimsicott is really more of a supporter, it's Sp.Atk is really not that good. But it can trivialize all "boss fights", against a single Pokemon that's much higher level than any of yours, which happen a lot. But if that's what you wanna use it for, a Prankster Murkrow with Perish Song is way better. I wouldn't use either as a member of my default 6 though.

For sets, in order:

-Intimidate, Play Rough, Outrage/Fire/Thunder/Ice Fang/Crunch/Close Combat/Brick Break(TM later)/ Iron Tail(tutor later)/Earthquake(pre-E13 breeding(the chain would be Sandshrew/Diglett/Wooper/Numel>Snubbul or Sandshrew/Diglett/Wooper/Numel>Mankey>Snubbul for EQ and CC))

-Cute Charm, Minimize, Comsic Power, Charge Beam, Stored Power.

-Pixilate, Trump Card, Hidden Power (ideally Ground), Shadow Ball, Round (TM in the Obsidia Department Store). Another options would be Trump Card (without wasting PP in the wild), Round, Curse and Hidden Power Ground/Dig. Curse buffs up your bad physical defense, so that you can stay in on anything and spam Pixilated moves. Ground+Fairy is almost perfect neutral coverage, so use either Dig or Hidden Power Ground (Dig is obviously way easier to get, pre-E13 breeding (via Sandshrew/Diglett/Onix/Dunsparce>Eevee))

-Huge Power, Belly Drum, Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Play Rough or Huge Power, Waterfall, Play Rough, Superpower/Bounce (tutor later)/Brick Break/Aqua Jet/Body Slam.

-Prankster, Tailwind/Memento/Leech Seed/Encore/Stun Powder. (Just FYI, Prankster only ups the priority of status moves by 1 level, so Trick Room would still have -6 priority)

For where I said "pre-E13" or "E12", that's where you need the old breeding system where TMs could be passed on. The pinned guide here should cover all your needs and/or you can send me a PM.

Thank you! Definitely going to use those tips for my Scrafty, and once I get a Ditto, I'll definitely breed my Eevee that way I can have a Sylveon. Never had one, and it sounds pretty badass.