EV training cap??

Mu Shu Fasa

I'm not positive if this is the right place to inquire but I didn't see anywhere else that looked more appropriate. I've been ev training my pokes while waiting for the next episode and I noticed that they aren't capped at 510 total evs. I was wondering if anyone knows what the EV mechanics are in reborn and what the cap is? As far as I can tell, 252 is still the cap for each stat but can you max every stat? My lopunny has 252 attack and speed and seems to keep gaining evs in everything else. Same thing with my nidoking except he he's special.

510 / 2 = 255
These 510 can be split into at least 2 stats, meaning that every stat can be maxed at 255 evs. But since every 4 evs are 1 stat point, the number 255 isn't divisible with 4. So the best number to gain max stat without spending unnecessary evs is 252. That way you can max 2 stats and you'll have 6 evs remaining that you can put it in any stat to gain 1 more stat point!
In Generation VI, the limit was changed from 255 to 252, preventing wasting evs! So your pokes are still gaining the extra 6 evs after maxing the 2 stats. After that they will not gain any evs at all :)

Edited by pyrromanis

I was thinking my Lopunny had over 510 total EVs but it's 3 in the morning and I just derped on the math lol. I didn't realize the history though, thank you for the explanation :). I always just do my ev spreads on showdown so I'm only used to working with 508, I think that's why it caught me off guard.

510 / 2 = 255

These 510 can be split into at least 2 stats, meaning that every stat can be maxed at 255 evs. But since every 4 evs are 1 stat point, the number 255 isn't divisible with 4. So the best number to gain max stat without spending unnecessary evs is 252. That way you can max 2 stats and you'll have 6 evs remaining that you can put it in any stat to gain 1 more stat point!

In Generation VI, the limit was changed from 255 to 252, preventing wasting evs! So your pokes are still gaining the extra 6 evs after maxing the 2 stats. After that they will not gain any evs at all :)

Yes and to clarify, those 2 extra points mean nothing. Each 4 contributes go stat gains. The 2 points out of the extra 6 is what I mean.

Hai fellow Eelektross