A Utopian Society (ORAS OU)

Chase

Hello folks. Today, I'm going to take you through -my- team building process and probably look -really- dumb. At the end hopefully there will be a solid amount of information that would allow you to rate accordingly.

Step 1: The Lead Role

In this current meta you have to decide what your mega evolution slot is going to be filled by first and foremost (or if you're going to use one). The mega Pokemon on your team -normally- will have a significant role and often will be the play-maker in the match. Pixilate + Hyper Voice + Mega Gardevoir's very high Sp. Attack stat makes it a very fearsome wallbreaker - and my favorite megas tend to be heavy hitters right from the get go. Hyper Voice has the ability to be raised with STAB and the 30 percent increase in damage from Pixilate to a whopping 170 base power. Psyshock will cover the other STAB and handle Fighting and slower Poison type Pokemon. Focus Blast gives Gardevoir a fighting chance against steel type Pokemon and will be the attack that will not ignite Heatran's Flash Fire. From there, there's a lot of other options including other coverage moves like Shadow Ball, Signal Beam, Thunderbolt - and then utility moves like Taunt, Calm Mind to boost that Special Attack and Defense, and Will-O-Wisp to hit slower physical Pokemon.

Step 2: The Royal Guard

When considering the next Pokemon on my team, it became very apparent that Mega Gardevoir's weaknesses needed to be accounted for by the next pick. Any steel type Pokemon can rinse away any Poison type attack aimed the Feeling Pokemon - but Magnezone has an explicit purpose for cleaning the opponent of steel types, and it's Steel/Electric typing paired with it's own massive special Attack and Hidden Power Fire allows it to get rid of some very noteworthy challenges to MegaVoir - such as any Scizor. Magnezone's ability allows for it to clear the way for MegaVoir to finish the match - but it also is compensated very nicely in return. A Fighting type attack aimed at Magnezone will do very little to MegaVoir.

Step 3: The Inner-Circle

With all of the other steel type Pokemon out of the way - the one thing that remains to threaten MegaVoir is a Heatran that will be faster than it. Magnezone can't do much other than hit it with Volt Switch/Thunderbolt if it's switching in - because Flash Cannon is not very effective and HP Fire will activate Flash Fire - resulting in the concerted effort backfiring in the Magnet Pokemon's face. Enter Garchomp, the x4 Fire resist Pokemon that not only threatens Heatran for good, but forms the very sexy DFS (Dragon Fairy Steel) core with the other two Pokemon on the team at this point. For this team, I intend to use Scarf Garchomp so as to use it to further pave the way for MegaVoir - who takes on the other Dragons looking to ruin it's rampage, as Magnezone deals with opposing Fairy types.

Step 4: The Huntsman

This fourth slot could be very difficult to determine - but then I looked at what I thought were two major remaining concerns. Magnezone is a decent niche trapper - but it doesn't have what arguably may make a Pokemon like Bisharp outclass it in this case - Priority. Not only does it not have priority, it is weak to Ground, a type the core has no definitive answer for at this point in time. This is where the offensive -and- ever pursuing Weavile steps in. Weavile still brings to the table that x4 Fighting type that Bisharp would - but provides some good offensive utility to the team to further pave the way. It helps Magnezone do it's job by removing a type that threatens it, as well as adds to the immense amount of pressure placed on the opponents' Dragon types. The Ice typing allows for for some extra respite against Mega Altaria as well. All in all, Weavile is one of those Pokemon that makes a great supporting role given who the lead is.

Step 5: The Saboteur

Alright, four pokemon in, and we still don't have a hazard setter, we have now accentuated the fact that we have a Fighting type disparagement to deal with, and we need to step up and say "You know what Hilda, 100 Base Speed (for MegaVoir) isn't exactly "godly" and you don't plan on using Sticky Web this time because you don't want opposing Bisharp to get excited - how about you look for a Thunder Wave user that isn't week to fighting?" - Meet Celebi - the thing that can do everything Ferrothorn does (barring Iron Barbs), without further adding on to the Fighting Type conundrum (and instead resisting it.) Celebi works well in tandem with Weavile to threaten ground types for Magnezone - and Water types for Garchomp as well as the rare Empoleon for Gardevoir. The only thing this selection will cause a noteworthy concern about is Fire types.

Step 6: The Estate Maid

With three 'mons weak to Fire type attacks, that was something we needed to shore up - as well as getting some hazard removal of our own. We were given the option to use several ground type spinners, like Donphan (who could also take the Stealth Rock job and control the field) - but instead of just fighting off the Fire type weakness, we trade it for an Ice weakness in that regard unless we worked backwards (and that's you guys' job here.) - Starmie was the next best candidate and I like what it brings to the table - warding off the fire types and rapid spinning the rocks away while keeping our hazards intact. With Ice Beam, it once again contributes to the team goal of putting Dragons on the hot seat. This last pick easily could go to the likes of a Lati-twin - but I wanted to go for Rapid Spin over Defog for this team.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

The goal of this team is to put an immense amount of pressure on Dragon type Pokemon and successfully set up Mega Gardevoir to finish the game. Weavile and Magnezone will work as trappers and clear the way. Garchomp and Starmie will effectively act as nuke buttons in times of need, and Celebi is the initial part of the set-up process, with it's goal being to paralyze anything the other Pokemon can't handle in order to safely give MegaVoir the green light to scream away.

Sorry about the lack of images at this time!

Major issues that I (and you) have identified:

Fire types

Mmmm....I will say this though. Whatcha gonna do when Mega Metagross rears it's head and them big old smexy claws?

Half your team is weak to Metagross by either STAB, or it's weird tech moves (Ice Punch, Hammer Arm). Granted you got something to cover it, but hey, you wanted us to identify threats.

EDIT: Still a good selection process and team though.

Edited by Darvan Korematsu

IIRC garchomp only 2x resists fire. Also, I'm not too familiar with Starmie, but it's fast so I don't think analytic is very good on it. I dunno what the alternative is, so I could be wrong. Beware of the pranksters too, cause they can paralyze you first. Or burn. Only a problem for Gardevoir, Starmie, and Weavile, but since Celebii lacks heal bell it should be noted.

Just me acting like I know what I'm doing....

Even though Starmie is fast, you get the Analytic boost if the opponent switches in, which means you get to deal high damage to anything that thinks it might want to switch in. There are also a few faster Pokemon in OU that Starmie can take advantage of, such as Mega Lopunny.

Edited by Alicirno

js if you have no sprites it's kinda hard to see what the team wants to do at a glance.

lopunny, breloom, keldeo, heatran, zardx/altaria, and mana kinda take a big ole dookie on this team. i'd recommend changing mag to scarf, chomp to a defensive set, and considering replacing ice beam on starmie with tbolt to help remedy most of these problems.

I think Celebi's role is overextended, as a lead rock setter and a crippler at the same time. Change Chomp to act as a lead (defensive or offensive) and change Celebi from SR to Earth Power to have one more Ground attack for Heatran. Also give Weavile Low Kick/Brick Break over something, preferrably Pursuit. You have only one Mon that takes normal damage from Psychic type Stabs, whatcha gonna trap, Gengar? Also Starmie, Weavile and Celebi are weak to UTurn, so there are some scarfers out there that will chip them dead.

If the game plan is to destroy every Steel in existence to open way for Mega Gardevoir, ok. But your team is glassy, Weavile and Starmie will bleed on their Life Orbs, you have 0 speed boosting moves and Gardevoir has a meh speed herself. I'd axe Celebi and that big U-turn weakness to add Talonflame with a Ground Type Natural Gift to deal with all the Fighting threats Jelly listed without having Celebi trying to check them, set rocks and cripple at the same time. Just Birdspam them, Roost and continue. I would also put Shadow Ball on Garde, kill the steals with the rest of the team and use SB to hit Mega Meta on the switch, since it's the toughest one to handle for your team. This strong priority also allows you to not go Scarf on something.

Also I'd like more of a PumpBoltHPFire Starmie to kill any Steel trying to hide there. And Magnezone needs the Scarf to move before that +2 Superpower from Scizor, Tough Claws Hammer Arm and EQ from Mega Meta.

I also think you like that faster style more than tanking and crippling.

Changes made:

Magnezone went back to the hipster store to trade in his glasses for rather dashing neckwear.

Celebi gave up it's status as the team's Mother Hen, handing off the lead Rocks role to a teammate and acquiring the power of the Earth to further pressure Fire types - namely Heatran (I HATE that thing.)

Garchomp took some of the load off of Celebi's shoulders, swapping out Fire Blast for Stealth Rock - and going Lum Berry over Scarf and going a tiny bit conservative - opting for Dragon Claw over Outrage.

Weavile picked up Low Kick and lost Pursuit.

For those of you interested - here is the first battle with the team. Fair warning, I'm not sure our replays are back and running yet, and I just copy pasted the log. Happy Reading.

Turn 1

The opposing Sableye's Sablenite is reacting to aaballer13's Mega Bracelet!
The opposing Sableye has Mega Evolved into Mega Sableye!
The opposing Sableye used Calm Mind!
The opposing Sableye's Special Attack rose!
The opposing Sableye's Special Defense rose!
Garchomp used Dragon Claw!
The opposing Sableye lost 29.0% of its health!

Turn 2

Garchomp used Earthquake!
The opposing Sableye lost 40% of its health!
The opposing Sableye used Will-O-Wisp!
Garchomp was burned!
Garchomp ate its Lum Berry!
Garchomp's burn was healed.

Turn 3

aaballer13 withdrew Sableye (Sableye-Mega)!
aaballer13 sent out Clefable!
The opposing Clefable lost 37% of its health!
The opposing Clefable restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Turn 4

Garchomp, come back!
Go! Magnezone!
The opposing Clefable used Moonblast!
It's not very effective... Magnezone lost 19.1% of its health!
Magnezone's Special Attack fell!

Turn 5

aaballer13 withdrew Clefable!
aaballer13 sent out Arcanine!
[Opposing Arcanine's Intimidate!]
Magnezone's Attack fell!
Magnezone used Flash Cannon!
It's not very effective... The opposing Arcanine lost 17% of its health!

Turn 6

Magnezone, come back!
Go! Garchomp!
The opposing Arcanine used Flame Charge!
It's not very effective... Garchomp lost 18.5% of its health!
The opposing Arcanine is hurt by Garchomp's Rough Skin!
The opposing Arcanine's Speed rose!

Turn 7

aaballer13 withdrew Arcanine!
aaballer13 sent out Clefable!
The opposing Clefable lost 42% of its health!

Turn 8

The opposing Clefable lost 39% of its health!
The opposing Clefable fainted!
Garchomp's Attack fell!

Turn 9

Garchomp used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around the opposing team!
The opposing Arcanine used Hidden Power!
It's super effective! Garchomp lost 62.7% of its health!

Turn 10

aaballer13 sent out Excadrill!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Excadrill!
[Opposing Excadrill's Mold Breaker!]
The opposing Excadrill breaks the mold!
It's super effective! The opposing Excadrill lost 94% of its health!

Turn 11

aaballer13 withdrew Excadrill!
aaballer13 sent out Sableye (Sableye-Mega)!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Sableye!
The opposing Sableye lost 19% of its health!
The opposing Sableye fainted!
aaballer13 sent out Scizor!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Scizor!

Turn 12

The opposing Scizor used Bullet Punch!
Garchomp lost 18.8% of its health!
The opposing Scizor is hurt by Garchomp's Rough Skin!
Garchomp fainted!
Go! Magnezone!

Turn 13

Magnezone used Hidden Power!
It's super effective! The opposing Scizor lost 75% of its health!
The opposing Scizor fainted!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Arcanine!
Magnezone's Attack fell!

Turn 14

It's super effective! Magnezone lost 59.9% of its health!
Magnezone used Hidden Power!
It's not very effective... The opposing Arcanine lost 14.0% of its health!

Turn 15

It's super effective! Magnezone lost 21.0% of its health!
Magnezone fainted!
Go! Starmie!

Turn 16

aaballer13 sent out Amoonguss!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Amoonguss!
Starmie used Hydro Pump!
The opposing Amoonguss avoided the attack!
The opposing Amoonguss restored HP using its Black Sludge!

Turn 17

Starmie used Psyshock!
It's super effective! The opposing Amoonguss lost 85% of its health!
Starmie lost some of its HP!
The opposing Amoonguss used Spore!
Starmie fell asleep!

Turn 18

Starmie is fast asleep.
The opposing Amoonguss used Giga Drain!
It's super effective! A critical hit! Starmie lost 90.1% of its health!
Starmie had its energy drained!
Starmie fainted!
Go! Weavile!
[Weavile's Pressure!]
Weavile is exerting its pressure!

Turn 19

aaballer13 withdrew Amoonguss!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Arcanine!
Weavile's Attack fell!
Weavile used Icicle Crash!
It's not very effective... The opposing Arcanine lost 6% of its health!
Weavile lost some of its HP!
The opposing Arcanine fainted!
aaballer13 sent out Amoonguss!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Amoonguss!

Turn 20

Weavile used Knock Off!
The opposing Amoonguss lost 37% of its health!
Weavile knocked off the opposing Amoonguss's Black Sludge!
The opposing Amoonguss used Sludge Bomb!
Weavile lost 39.5% of its health!

Turn 21

Weavile used Icicle Crash!
It's super effective! The opposing Amoonguss lost 33% of its health!
The opposing Amoonguss fainted!
aaballer13 sent out Excadrill!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Excadrill!
The opposing Excadrill fainted!
Meteor Ace Hilda won the battle!
Ladder updating...
Meteor Ace Hilda's rating: 1000 → 1045
(+45 for winning)
aaballer13's rating: 1048 → 1028
(-20 for losing)
aaballer13 left.

So, as of right now - My team is batting 1.000, and it's always nice to see success. This was a battle I didn't really need Gardevoir or Celebi for, as Garchomp w/ Lum Berry seemed to do enough to cripple his obvious Mega Sableye lead and send him completely into disarray.
I -do- tend to lean toward offense, but I would like to improve with Bulky Offense teams where I can. When I was looking at the team after I built it, I realized it was still pretty glass-cannon and decided that I liked where my process had taken me. I knew that Fighting type Pokemon - particularly the quicker ones like Breloom and Keldeo - were going to be huge problems.
What I wasn't anticipating hearing about so damn much was Mega Metagross. I haven't seen that thing used since it was on the hot seat often. Does anyone know if Weavile gets Sucker Punch?
To me, MegaGross/MegaPunny are 'mons that don't have a lot of answers out there. They're both extremely fast and both of them are powerhouses - as a good Mega aught to be.

Check that team against a typical scarf Lando T, I really worry about the UTurn thing. Speaking of which, if a Mega Beedril team could get the rocks off and only kill 'Chomp, the Drill Run set could destroy you. Also test it against Talonflame, it's always good to know how you do against it.

Post changes and after a small sample size of tests we can safely say the team has a solid enough chance against the following threats:

Landorus-T. - The major concern with Landorus T before even asking for the rate was as Ody mentioned above - the scarf variant. As long as Weavile is made available, Scarf-Lando falls to priority Ice Shard after Stealth Rock damage.

Heatran - Celebi with Earth Power does enough if Heatran comes in on the switch - and it would seem in many cases it's a little bulkier than it's given credit for. Onionhead is a baller. Outside of that, again, the only issue with Heatran is those that are scarfed. Good recommendation Ody. :)

Talonflame - SmogonBird has a very solid chance to steal wins from this team if it outlasts the duration of my Garchomp's ability to battle. However, Garchomp provides the Rocks -and- the chip damage necessary to incite playing Talon poorly. It's not exactly fixing the hole so much as it is filling it with bubble gum here, but it's sufficient at least for now.

There are some pokemon I'm still trying to get the dish on, such as MegaLop and Breloom - and I think Celebi sort of niche checks 'loomer.

Biggest Threat: Keldeo - as only Starmie and the Choice Specs it's carrying stands between it and swamping me.

if only there was a solid check to all of those mons. oh wait there is.. (endure can be used > fire blast for tflame if you feel like it's rly that big of a problem.)

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
Edited by Jelly