Road Of The Kings. [A Basic Guide to VGC]

Well here we are. The name’s Darv, and I’m here to show YOU guys one of the most popular, unspoken formats of battle on Reborn. The format I am here to discuss today is the Video Game Championship format, or VGC for short. The season usually updates with every year or every game, leaving us currently at the VGC 15 format (for 2015 no duh). I am probably the freshest soul there is on Reborn that’s willing to explain this wonderful format, and hopefully you guys will read up and follow in suit and maybe one day we could appreciate this cool format.

What I intend to do in this thread is provide the rules and bans, and provide basic pro tips and guides for you guys as to what can and can’t work, and what to might expect. These are designed for those who both wanna get involved in the VGC format, as well as polish up on it if you need to.

Without further ado, let us begin.

Beginners+guide+to+pokemon+vgc+2015+this

THE GLORIOUS VGC

What sets this format apart from most of the other formats you know is foremost the strategy and mindset of most other formats you have ever played. The most important factor separating VGC from other popular formats such as the usual tiered play, Random Battles, and Little Cup, is the fact that all battles are Double Battles, with four Pokemon allowed to the battle and there is no bargaining chip around it. All Pokemon are suggested for use at Level 50, as that is the standard level cap.

Each battle always begins with the Team Preview where you are allowed to view the opponent’s entire team, and select your four Pokemon to use based on the scrutiny of your opponent’s team. Take most of what you’ve known about Singles and throw it out the window for the most part.

THE BANLIST

The actual VGC does not follow Smogon’s usual rules for the most part. This means a small number of Ubers will be allowed in the matches. However do not pine over that, because those tiers were purely designed for Singles play, and anything goes for the most part in Doubles. Although the VGC has still deemed extremely unfair in one way or another.

Banned Items: Soul Dew

Banned Pokemon (all forms): Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yvetal, Zygarde, Diancie.

- Standard Species Clause (No 2 same Pokemon allowed)

- Standard Item Clause (No 2 same items allowed)

- Pentagon Rule (Irrelevant on Showdown): This rule is a 3DS deal, verifying that a Pokemon was bred, obtained, or in some way caught in X/Y/OR/AS. Although this means certain combinations, particularly on legendaries, are impossible, such as Defog Latias/Latios.

GENERAL TIPS

One thing you rookies I cannot never stress is enough, is just because a Pokemon is absolutely amazing in Singles, does not mean it will do the same in Doubles. Traditionally what people try to do in VGC instead of beating face in like most Singles plays, is find a way to cripple the opponent, whether through status or speed control.

The first thing you should do when building a team is to have a theme in mind, and build around the gaps the theme does or does not fill. For instance, adding a Mega Swampert if you want to run Politoed with Rain, or run Chlorophyll Venusaur with a Charizard Y. Synergy is King/Queen in VGC.

Another general tip of VGC is to not always invest in standard 252/252/x EV spreads, and sometimes 6 perfect IVs will not always work. Sometimes the nature of your Pokemon and IVs can be tailored to work to your advantage to work. For instance, if you have a very slow Pokemon on your team, such as Aegislash or Mawile, use a speed lowering nature instead of crappy attacking lowering natures, because of things such as Trick Room out of the blue, which can turn a battle into your favor. Sometimes on your Pokemon you want to survive hits, Defenses and HP investments are usually recommended. Although stick to your Pokemon’s strengths preferably, rather than covering their weakness.

Don’t be afraid of variety. This is another huge aspect of VGC. Your team is all you have. There is no PC or access point to change up any of your weak links. Your team should be designed as a catch-all safety net without stretching itself too thin and break itself. Even if you specialize in one thing, such as weather or Trick Room, don’t forget those plans can fail, and often will if your opponent is prepared and can accurately predict your moves.

VGC STAPLES

This is self-explanatory. Every VGC team should run something along these lines in one way or another to net. Of course you’re not freaking Superman, so don’t think you can cover all of these staple points. These are more often than not, carried on one team.

Protect - This move is easily the best move the VGC has to offer, and EVERY Pokemon in your party that isn’t hindered by this move, should learn it, unless its sole purpose is to get in, do its thing, and die. This move is perfect for scouting, predictions, accumulating chip damage, and luring away your opponents for an opening.

Status (Burn/Sleep/Paralysis)Again, one of the biggest points of VGC is to cripple your opponent by any practical way necessary. These methods can include Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave, Spore/Sleep Powder, or carrying a Prankster to choke out your opponent. Remember, the VGC is about strategy, and beating face with little strategy will surely tear you down real quickly.

Priority (Non-Speed Control) Regardless if your Pokemon is slow or fast, beating your opponent to the punch is important in any format. Usually either killing your opponent or netting the turn you need to get your combo pieces off, Priority in one way or another should be fitted on a team in one way or another. The most common ways of Priority come with Fake Out, Sucker Punch, and Priority.

Priority (Speed Control) Completely different from regular priority moves, when you think them, getting out the gate quicker than your opponent is usually better in VGC. Simple methods can include increasing your speed, decreasing your opponent’s speed, or screwing them out of it in one way or another. Increasing your speed can usually be done through Tailwind, which a large number of VGC-viable Pokemon can learn. Decreasing your opponent’s speed can be obtained by Paralysis and Icy Wind. Or the final method of speed control can be flipped through use of Trick Room, thus crippling your opponent.

Intimidate/Intimidate Counters Often times, one way to cripple your opponent is to soften their attacks, often through Intimidate, and select Pokemon that can learn Snarl, giving less bite to a Pokemon’s bark. Vice-versa, the abilities Defiant and Competitive can counter this, and in fact turn it to their advantage, giving a free +1/+2 off of what was originally a check/counter.

Spread Moves To specify, this implies moves such as Earthquake, Explosion, Discharge, Heat Wave, Hyper Voice and Rock Slide. Sometimes picking off Pokemon one by one just isn’t good enough, and you need to more quickly get rid of multiple Pokemon in one go.

Move-Jamming All of the staples listed so far are all usually achieved through the use of status moves, which requires wishful thinking with appropriate counters. And as such, the moves Taunt and Encore, although more often Taunt, are good ways of crippling your opponent than crippling you, or locking your opponent. Often, your combo pieces with status are rendered about as harmful as a crumpled piece of paper otherwise when Taunted or Encored.

Mega Pokemon – Lemme put it like this: I have yet to see a team that does not carry a Mega Evolution. Megas are just so much better when paired up to most teams, and I’ll leave it at that.

COMMON VGC TEAMS AND CORES

When I say common, I don’t mean that you’ll see these with every 3-4 battles, although when you see appropriate Pokemon that could inhibit such conditions, you’ll know immediately that is the central glue to the team.

Sun Team – Usually if you see Charizard, literally more than 99% of the time, said Charizard is running Charizardite Y, because Y is more commonly used for weather setting purposes to check Water types, and is generally used more often than X. Often when you see Charizard, you may see Venusaur too. Almost always, said Venusaur will not be Mega, and have Chlorophyll, which turns the formerly slow Venusaur into a monster, capable of outspeeding the majority of unboosted Pokemon in VGC, which is way scarier with its Sleep Powder than one may imagine.

Rain Team – If you see Politoed, it always has Drizzle, unless the owner is just a dumb person and forgets to add that ability. Rain is the literal ying-yang to sun in VGC. More often than not, you’ll see either a Ludicolo or Swampert on the same team. Both Pokemon serve the exact same purpose as Venusaur with their weather speed-boosting abilities, and being able to beat the opponent to the punch.

Trick Room – Trick Room teams are usually easy to spot, but a little hard to detect the setter than Rain or Sun, because there is no auto-setter for them like Rain or Sun. The most common Trick Room setters you may see are Cresselia, Jellicent, and other slow Pokemon that can be considered of “otherworldly” typing (usually Psychics or Ghost types). Trick Room is easy to spot when you see a lot of Pokemon that can never be considered speed demons by themselves. Examples of popular options include Mawile, Aegislash, Sylveon, and Conkeldurr.

Sand Team – The rarest of the listed teams so far, Tyranitar is a telltale sign of sand, and Excadrill just only reinforces this. The point of this team is using the bulk of Tyranitar with increased Special Defense and the Sand Rush of Excadrill to quickly dispose of select opponents under the sand, while being immune to chip damage.

Perish Trap – If you guys don’t remember what got Mega Gengar banned to Ubers, this is what dropped the hammer. Basically one uses Perish Song and Gengar Mega Evolves, and stall until the two Pokemon of your opponent faint. This is a relatively hard combo to pull off, and not all Gengars hold Gengarite in the VGC. (Focus Sash is usually the preferred item).

COMMON VGC THREATS

Lots of Pokemon are used in VGC, and more often than not are either good in on themselves, or are checks and counters to the Pokemon in on itself. Here are a few Pokemon that are used a lot in VGC as well as their reasons. The list changes, and is consistent only on the 3DS, but much logic can be applied to the select threats below, which are commonly seen on teams.

http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/107/#double

kangaskhan.gif

Kangaskhan: Yep that’s right. Kangaskhan is legal in VGC. I list it first because it is the most consistently used Pokemon in VGC, and has been since X/Y. With a good speed tier, two priorities, Fake Out, good bulk and hitting power, of course people are gonna use this thing since it isn’t banned. However, it isn’t a one-man army, just a good centerpiece to most parties. Kangaskhan is holding Kangaskhanite almost all of the time.

landorus-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian: Landorus-Therian is one of the few Pokemon that holds the traits that made it amazing in singles and can cross it over with VGC. Lando-T is also the most commonly used non-Mega in VGC, due to Intimidate, multiple spread moves, versatility, an ability to recycle Intimidate, and immunity to common Paralysis. Lando-T is a very simple Pokemon to use with very simple sets, much like Kangaskhan, usually with Choice Scarf.

charizard-megay.gif

Charizard Y- Charizard Y isn’t always used in a sun core team, because of a speed on par with Kangaskhan, as well as an ability to soften one of its own weaknesses. Charizard Y also possesses an amazing wall-breaking ability and spread move with a high Special Attack and Heat Wave.

sylveon.gif

Sylveon – What makes Sylveon amazing is it’s naturally high bulk, few weaknesses, and amazing ability to hit hard with Pixilate Hyper Voice and its coverage moves, and bolstered with Choice Specs. Sylveon also possesses the rare ability with the low Speed tier that makes it just good enough to fit on Trick Room teams.

thundurus.gif

Thundurus – If there were one thing to set apart Thundurus from all the other threats so far, it’s Prankster. Hands down, the number one reason to use Thundurus is Prankster. Whether it be Thunder Wave, Taunt, Swagger, whatever, it don’t matter. Thundurus is highly appreciated for the ability to inflict control by paralysis and move-jamming. Along with a modest Speed and Special Attack, Thundurus is the only Prankster user in VGC that can pack a good bit of punch in the attacks.

aegislash.gif

Aegislash – Yup, yet another one of the Ubers mons that is unsurprisingly legal in VGC, and is more than effective in VGC for many reasons. Aegislash can eat up a lot of attacks, possessing a great number of resistances and immunities, such as the elusive Fake Out. Another reason for Aegislash’s dominance is the low Speed tier for Trick Room, priority to undercut opponents, wide movepool, and the hidden treasure of Wide Guard. Wide Guard is one of the most amazing moves in VGC to protect from spread moves and allowing the partner to have a swing. Oh and King’s Shield is still cool as always.

bisharp.gif

Bisharp – Like its Steel-type buddy Aegislash, Bisharp holds versatility, except it’s limited to items and the ability Defiant. Being able to +1/+2 off of moves that would otherwise kill it is compliment to many of Bisharp’s moves. With priority in Sucker Punch, a hidden treasure in the VGC near-staple of Knock Off, and ability to kill Fairies and Trick Room setters, Bisharp is a widely regarded choice for some VGC teams.

terrakion.gif

Terrakion – With a great typing to beat a lot of the Pokemon in VGC, Terrakion is one of the best general counter Pokemon in VGC. Possessing great power and a spread move, a higher Speed tier than the average Pokemon seen in VGC, Terrakion is a great choice to many general teams, just like Bisharp.

amoonguss.gif

Amoonguss – Considered one of the best Trick Room counters in the VGC for such a low Speed tier, much lower than a lot of other Trick Room Pokemon, as well as decent defensive stats, redirection support in the form of Rage Powder, and the coveted sleep-inducer Spore.

salamence.gif

Salamence – An absolutely devastating mixed attacker that can go into a great Speed tier as it Mega Evolves, as well as the useful ability of Intimidate to faze physical attackers before Mega. Salamence also has access to the optional Tailwind and Dragon Dance to boost itself and teammates to much higher levels.

gardevoir.gif

Gardevoir – Another one of the better Trick Room setters, also with the ability to Mega Evolve, as well as access to Hyper Voice, much to the similar effect of Sylveon, except with more utility than Sylveon. An amazing wallbreaker Special Attack and a Speed on par with most common VGC participants, Gardevoir is a versatile choice.

talonflame.gif

Talonflame – Other than the obvious Gale Wings Brave Bird in OU we already have, Talonflame functions more as a utility and support Pokemon than a brute offensive sweeper in VGC. Coupled with priority Tailwind, Will-o-Wisp, Taunt, as well as Talonflame’s usual OU tools that make it a threat to deal with, Talonflame is a nice addition to many teams.

cresselia.gif

Cresselia – If Cresselia has anything going for it, the tankiest Pokemon to Trick Room in VGC is what it has. Cresselia also has a nice expansive support movepool, although the main reason to use Cresselia in the first place is Trick Room. If you ever see one, it almost always runs Trick Room.

gengar.gif

Gengar – With the dual option to do amazingly with or without a Mega Stone, Gengar is one of the fastest hard-stopper Pokemon in VGC. With many great moves like Taunt, Will-o-Wisp, Destiny Bond, and Icy Wind, Gengar is one of the best shutdown options in VGC as a non-Mega. However if you choose to go the Mega route, it becomes an amazing Perish Trapper. Gengar is also a near perfect Mega Kangaskhan counter.

politoed.gif

Politoed - If for any reason you see this guy, it's Rain. Politoed has little other purpose than to be a weather disrupter as a Rain setter. Rain is also a common weather in the VGC.

rotom-wash.gifrotom-heat.gif

Rotom Wash/Heat - Rotom is another one of those Pokemon that outspeeds just a little bit of many Pokemon used in VGC, but can also dish out and take hits really nicely. Wash is used more often than Heat, but Heat is a very respectable typing in VGC in on itself. It morely depends on what you want your team to counter.

MY SAMPLE TEAM

For you new guys, I'll throw out the first team I ever made for VGC, and still use it often to this day, and give some good reasons to my selections.

AT A GLANCE

altaria.gifthundurus.gifrotom-wash.gifgengar.gifterrakion.gifbisharp.gif

Altaria (Sonata) @ Altarianite

Cloud Nine

Modest Nature

252 HP 196 Sp. Atk 60 Speed

- Protect

- Hyper Voice

- Fire Blast

- Tailwind

Okay, when I first made this team, I wanted Mega Altaria to be the theme of it, since I liked it's design, and I'd read about how Sylveon and Mega-Gardevoir were the best Hyper Voicers in the VGC meta. Mega Altaria shares that trait with them, only with a few better things that made me learn toward it. It has better Defenses, access to Tailwind, and a 1-turn weather negation in Cloud Nine, all of which made me adore this Pokemon so. Fire Blast is more to hit anything that either resists Hyper Voice, or takes more damage from than Hyper Voice. Tailwind is there for the rare free turns I get I may need to give my team a little boost, and Protect is staple.

Thundurus (Thoron) @ Leftovers

Prankster

Bold Nature

252 HP 120 Def 100 Sp.Atk 32 Spd.

- Thunder Wave

- Taunt

- Thunderbolt

- Protect

Coming into my second slot was my jamming Pokemon I really wanted to include into my team. Thundurus is a simple Pokemon to use. Thunder Wave and Taunt are to both disrupt and annoy the opposing team. Thunderbolt is there to deal damage to anything that isn't immune, and Protect again is standard. Protect can be swapped for Hidden Power Ice if you want to hit Lando-T or Mega-Salamence.

Rotom-Wash (Washi-Washi) @ Sitrus Berry

Levitate

Modest Nature

252 HP 124 Def 124 Sp.Def 4 Sp.Atk

- Will-o-Wisp

- Protect

- Thunderbolt

- Hydro Pump

Rotom-Wash is my answer to most physical attackers that consistently annoy my team, as well as my Water type to help against Rain. The moveset is fairly similar to an OU set, although I preferred not using Pain Split due to inconsistency, instead preferring Will-o-Wisp with a Sitrus Berry.

Gengar (Alucard) @ Focus Sash

Levitate

Timid Nature

252 Sp.Atk 252 Spd 4 HP

- Taunt

- Hex

- Sludge Bomb

- Will-o-Wisp

If I am absolutely unsure what to do, Gengar is usually sent out as a suicide lead, and that's it's only purpose like I said earlier. It is the only Pokemon in my party that does not run Protect, because it's whole point is to get in, die, and get out. It holds a Focus Sash so it ensures doing at least something before it dies. Hex is there in tandem with Thundurus so it gets more power if I decide to T.Wave and hit the same Pokemon.

Terrakion (Teriyaki) @ Life Orb

Justified

Jolly Nature

252 Atk 252 Spd 4 HP

- Rock Slide

- Close Combat

- Quick Guard

- Protect

Where Gengar was my suicide lead jammer, Terrakion is my glass cannon while paired with Life Orb. Close Combat is the usual move of choice, exceptions to Rock Slide to get chip damage or kill something necessary such as Charizard-Y. Quick Guard protects my Pokemon against priorities of any type, whilst allowing my teammate to still move.

Bisharp (Urnight) @ Lum Berry

Defiant

Adamant Nature

252 Atk 252 Spd 4 HP

- Knock Off

- Sucker Punch

- Protect

- Iron Head

Bisharp is here as my main means of priority attacking, as well as attempts to stop Intimidate as well as other things like Sylveon and Trick Room. Bisharp is the last hard counter I have in my party to stop items, quicker Pokemon, and select strategies. It holds a Lum Berry to stop annoying burns, paralysis, and sleep. All of which hurt Bisharp in one way or another.

Again, even my own team has weaknesses. Although don't be fazed at all by the intimidation of massive variety to VGC. Do your own thing and make it work. I'm currently working on a Mega Sceptile team for instance. Nothing is unviable in VGC, it's just what you have to work with it.

Hope you guys learned a little bit about the official tournament format. And if you want, I can battle you on the server, or you can PM me for any select questions you have about the VGC format. Hope you guys enjoy, and I'll see you on the circuit.

Well done Darvan.

I'm gonna leave this Youtube vid by Cybertron if you wanna also put it in the guide but you addressed most of the stuff that goes in VGC. He also does analysis of established mons in VGC and his teams if that would be helpful.

Ah now thanks, it's kinda flattering. I didn't include redirection, because it's not common enough, at least to me. Just like the common threats, I coulda included a lot more, but I kept it relatively simple.

Also Pachirisu is so 2014 when friggin Lando-T is about everywhere.

Congratulations - This thread (at least in my opinion) is worthy of the pin.

VGC is one of those things I have always shied away from - because it seems dominated by the things like Prankster and I always watched people do the same thing - but I do like how it makes some Pokemon more viable than they would be in smogon's singles tiers. It's a neat format no doubt.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...