Pokemon Ascension: Sons of Nalin [OOC/Sign-Ups]

Darvan Korematsu

So by defeating the unrighteous and oppressive, the sons and daughters of Nalin entered an age of enlightenment. A grand era of Ascension for the Sons of Nalin.

What is Nalin exactly?

I hate to do this, but story time. After a close brethren of mine confided onto me of their waivering ambitions as a player of RPs, I decided to put forth my own personal mettle to the test. Nalin to put it most simply is my greatest thoughts culminated together into a fantasy world of Pokémon that required my constant attention I strive to feed it, which the players will supply the nourishment to keep it thriving as well.

Origins of Nalin

For countless years, the great Pokemon creatures of the Kingdoms of Old, believed they were safe under the hands of caring rulers, who made up their minds for them, with the best interests of the people in mind. However, the interests changed, rulers themselves corrupt, all with their own visions of a peaceful and prosperous world for the greater good, regardless of the cost, whether it be the lives of the mothers and fathers, or the resources of the coffers, it didn't matter. No price for peace was too great. The time advanced, the technology advanced, the people and philosophies advanced.

Only the fiercest of tyrants and monarchs remained, lording over their people in both fear and respect for their bravery. The names and legends of tyrants and heroes rose and fell for years without second thought to where time felt meaningless and each new kingdom or empire was subject to the satire of inevitable failure.

Finally after centuries, if not millenia of this decrepit oppression of the people, they finally revolted on their tyrannous masters. Unavoidable bloodshed ensued as every tyrant and monarch was recklessly tossed away from the throne.Out of the smoldering ashes of once scattered dominions, came a collective set of visionaries, representatives, and the unwashed masses. Everyone had a different set of goals in mind, as well as progressive thoughts and the will to compromise. With the general agreement of the Old Kingdoms, they pacted a Declaration. A Declaration of government with the people spearheading the affairs, and everyone's thoughts and opinions carried lofty metaphorical weight in policymaking. Henceforth, the organized Declaration proclaimed a new land. A grandiose republic. The Republic of Nalin.

While many of different territories agree and disagree on the musings of the Republic, collectively everyone is accounted for in one way or another. The Republic has stood sturdy for years now lost in count, and shows no visible cracks on the governmental structure. Although as the old saying goes, "Times change", and a silent malevolence has swept over Nalin. The Pokemon speak of horrid atrocities hat shouldn't even walk the very earth. They speak of transformations that corrupt the soul and warp the mind. Something that not even a stable government could deal with without the hearts and minds of the people. But henceforth Nalin shall prevail!

The Nalin Declaration and the Government

The Declaration of Nalin calls for the election of Representatives from each major settlement proportionate to their population to serve as voices for their people every 5 years, with incumbency of candidates only allowed once.

The Senate shall always have a fixed attendance of 50 members, divided as seen fit for each territory. The Declaration organizes it's government into a unicameral, single-house Senate headed by the appointed Chancellor. The Chancellor serves as a senior Senator and picks their successor upon appointment. The Chancellor holds no greater power than what is appropriated to the other Senators. At no point shall any law be passed that extinguishes the opinion of it's citizens, within certain constituents and reasonable manner.

The land of Nalin itself is organized in two urban dwellings, seperated by the apparently evident differences in wealth between them from which the majority of the people live out their lives in the Republic, with some forked off settlements on the three frontiers. The relatively small city of Nalin governs itself and it's frontier lands headed by the Senate and Chancellor.

Different beliefs in governance are apparent and have been divided into three factions of thinking: The Empircals, the Nostrings, and the Paragons.

In the end of it all, the people have the last word when it comes to the policymaking of their respected government. Meaning they could just as easily stage a coup or remain silent, whichever suits the people at the end.

The Republic

The Republic has existed for around three or four hundred years, give or take a few decades. The history of it gets muddier the further back one searches in fact it's pretty much impossible for anyone to do so that isn't high up in the power structure in some way, assuming anyone was inclined to do so.

The passion for the Republic's existence is driven by an overwhelming sense of nationalistic pride. even though the Republic issues propaganda every so often that tries to reinforce this, not many people question the legitimacy of the Republic and accept the rule of elected entities that are the Senators and Chancellor alike.

While there is no actual "worship" involved, a great sense of loyalty in most citizens borderlining religious fanaticism, and is drilled into the heads of the average citizens and this is proven two-fold in the military and equally peacekeeping groups to Nalin. Ocassional trades of bickering exist amongst even the elite and average alike, however no real power struggles have existed in Nalin, except for a higher respect and preference to those of the powers of beyond (Psychics), those with nerves of steel and exceptional brawn (Fighting), and those of near mythical roots (Dragons and Legendaries), although even the undesirables can still find themselves in a comfortable position.

The current truth of Nalin may never be revealed as long as the current power structure lasts, but that has become even less of a certainty as the decades have passed. while most of the core of Nalin still believes their civilization to be in a golden age, the reality is much more apparent on the frontiers. the Republic itself is masking the internal rot caused by incompetence, decadence, and downright self-harmful actions.

Doubt in the Republic has always existed and is more widespread than anyone would like to believe. Even a rebellious mindset has existed behind the closed doors and hushed voices of the people. Whether it be the forcefully assimilated, or the average citizen believing a higher purpose for their existence. These have increases in the last few years and have spread quietly like the first days of a plague. The Republic has managed nearly direct control of it's citizens through general appeasement of the masses and a careful eye of their law enforcement: the Saints. However appeasement can only buy so much time.

Political Factions

As with any great nation, not everyone agreed on how to run the Republic, and as such, the people with similar opinions sided with each other into their own factions of thought, ready to debate. The three factions all believe in a stable government, and letting the people rule the government, but each faction heavily expresses the attribute of life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness.

Empiricals - The Empircals are easily the most fiercely nationalistic, and borderline fanatical of the other two factions and embody the attribute of life. Primarily composed of the majority of soldiers, Saints, and the most loyal of citizens, Empiricals believe that no cost is too great for the safety of the masses, preferring a go big or go home attitude to policies. As citizens, they believe their greatest purpose is to serve Nalin to their every whim, and as soldiers, to slay the enemies and traitors, to die by the metaphorical sword in combat. To live in Nalin is a privilege, not a right.

Nostrings - The Nostrings are the least nationalistic of the three factions, and represent the attribute of the pursuit of happiness. Nostrings prefer a hands-off laissez-faire approach to politics, with minimal government intervention, since it was the main reason for the Republic's formation. They believe everyone deserves a chance, as long as said being can prove themself of practical use to Nalin. Nostrings believe if the happiness of the masses can be secured, the people will behave more level-headed.

Paragons - The Paragons believe in quality control, and the representation of liberty, and are easily the most moderate of the three factions. Paragons believe in extension of service to Nalin, and if everyone could pitch in to make Nalin a much more suitable place to live, then people should be granted rewards in return, in the case of the Paragons, civil rights. They believe in treating everyone for their actual value of individualism.

The three factions have held about equal proportion to each other in the Senate since the Republic's formation. The attitude of the Republic is often reflected through the Chancellor and their attitude.

Primal Desolation and Mega Evolution

While Mega Evolution is an uncommon, at best, trait in Nalin, many more of the respectable members of the military and superior gladiators wield a Key Stone and Mega Stone of their species alike. However, an even rarer and strange tampering of Mega Stones, through reasons yet unknown, cause the wielder of the Mega Stone to throw away their morality and inhibition, causing even the most pacifistic and tranquil of Pokemon to unleash unbridled rage and exert a power even greater than that of normal Mega Evolution. This phenomenon has been dubbed "Primal Desolation" for the affected's swift attitude of thirst for nothing but battle, leaving no survivors, and inability to communicate, leaving them as a desolate shell of their actual selves while in this form. In an even rarer occurance than Primal Desolation are the handful that achieved the penultimate control over their Desolation and achieve "Enlightenment". Anyone Enlightened speaks of the Desolation and it's inner demons sucking the soul from you, and eventually killing you from the inside out, although through a strong will and purity of heart, anyone can overcome the demons within.

Character Sign-Ups

Name -

Gender - (if applicable)

Pokemon Species - (Only restriction is no legendaries)

Age - (minimal age of 15. max age of 80.)

Personality - (Self explanatory)

Appearance - (Anything surprisingly unique, or do they look like a normal member of their species?)

Occupation - (If in the military, state your rank. If you are a non-militant fighter, state what type (Bounty Hunter, Mercenary, Gladiator), otherwise state any sort of job, and if you're otherwise unemployed, state so, unless of extending circumstances).

Faction - (Empircal, Nostring, or Paragon)

Primal Desolation? - (Only applicable to Pokemon with Mega Evolving potential. If your character is capable of Primal Desolation, say so, otherwise they have a normal Mega Evolution.)

Backstory - (Thoughts on the Republic, their "faction", and maybe how they got to their occupation.)

Characters So Far

Dragan Rader the Honorable Captain [Garchomp] (OmegaRa1der)

Mark the Wanderer [Ampharos] (AuthorReborn)

Celeste Leclair the Astral Plane General [Gothitelle] (xAngel)

Astal the Valiant Brute [Hydreigon] (Adamance/Murdoc)

Jason the Free Spirit [Lucario] (K_H)

Ariel Ringo the Prodigal Senator [Gardevoir] (Darvan)

Casey Rhombus the Chancellor [Absol] (NPC)

Well I look forward to creating an excellent RP with you guys, and do enjoy. I'll edit this as more details and questions come in.

Edited by Darvan Korematsu

Signing up later today after creating the base but I give a hint about what rank I am going to be in: my battlegrounds character. But I can't decide between Entei or Manectric. So will edit with sign up.

Edit: Here is my sign-up. Correct me if some of it is illegal.

Name: Dragan Rader

Pokemon Species: Garchomp

Personality: Laid-back but takes orders and battles seriously and occasionally be strict. Battles if ordered or forced to survive.

Appearance: Has flexible armor, slim around his fins.

Faction: Empircal

Primal Desolation: Yes

Back story: Born in a moderate rich family but has links to military. Dragan's father was formerly a squad leader but in a mission, he was MIA. That made Dragan join the military to honour his father. His view of the Empircal goals is like a balance and alchemy. In order one to obtain something must sacrifice something of equal value. Dragan spent 3 years honing his species natural ability which is gliding and spent the next 4 years increasing his mobility and melee combat.

Edited by OmegaRa1der

Signing up later today after creating the base but I give a hint about what rank I am going to be in: my battlegrounds character. But I can't decide between Entei or Manectric. So will edit with sign up.

Pokemon Species - (Only restriction is no legendaries)

I suppose you'll be Manectric, then.

So I'm just going to assume you want these sign ups here since you didn't specify anything different in the OP. Mine will be in this spoiler.

Name - Fabio Mark

Gender - Male

Pokemon Species - Ampharos

Age - 23

Personality - Pretty easy going and calm most of the time, Mark is a bit of a free spirit afflicted with wanderlust. Every once in a while he'll get himself into trouble with his wanderer's ways, although he prefers to avoid conflict when he can.

Appearance - Typical Amphy with the exception of a red Smeargle paw print on his back from his time living with a group of Smeargle.

Occupation - Generally unemployed except when he's strapped for cash and in need of an income, at which point he works temporarily as a Bounty Hunter or Mercenary.

Faction - Paragon

Primal Desolation? - Primal Desolation sounds like it could be rather hazardous to both user and companions, so I think I'l pass.

Backstory - (Thoughts on the Republic, their "faction", and maybe how they got to their occupation.) As the son of a somewhat snobby senator, his parents insisted he be educated above the common rabble by their own hands. He eventually grew tired of this treatment and hit the road with a bad case of wanderlust. He roamed around the region a little bit before temporarily moving in with a band a Smeargle, as he admired their creative tendencies and their dedication to their work. They accepted him as one of their own and gave him a red Smeargle paw print on his back to show that he was a little different, but still one of them. He eventually moved on from the Smeargle as he was once again struck with the need to explore and see the world. On the road, he began to see how many people were secretly unhappy with how the Republic was being run and resolved to begin heading back to his home and speak with his mother and other senators into listening to the pleas of the people. Unfortunately, a lack of funds forced him to resort to being a Bounty Hunter temporarily and hunt down the sort of common ilk who plagued the people who he ran into to earn his bread.

171c1858f172838fc45356c2c3a15192.png

1. One character is what I'm working with right now. Two might be a thing, but it will probably stay at one to keep it simplistic. I will accept new characters if your current one is killed off. Legendaries will most likely only be allowed on a first come, first serve basis, although I am on the fence about legendaries because of potential powerplaying. You can play as any evolutionary line as you please and evolve as you equally please with given conditions.

Although I already applied but the slight possibility is there but we would need Darvan's approval for legends.

Well I'll say this. Pseudos are absolutely fine. I'm gonna bar legendaries as PC's although NPCs will be a completely different story.

Mark and Dragan are fine. I'll accept them as is. Also Omega, the only Officer Ranks that are lower than Captain are Lieutenants. So edit Dragan's thing to Captain or Lieutenant.

I think I'll also place a species-lock restriction as well, to promote variety, so in other words, you guys will be most likely the only Garch and Amphy on here, so that's that.

EDIT: Also Author, Primal Desolation is prized among Nalin's warriors for the sheer destructive force of it. Although those who become Enlightened are even more prized, for not only being able to harness the Desolation's power, but also control themselves too.

Edited by Darvan Korematsu

Well hey those two are good enough, and I'm not gonna stick to the life of a jarhead, so I'll end up as most likely a Senator or a Saint. I will also lock down the position of Chancellor, because that's gonna be a pretty powerful position and I already got a perfect NPC in mind.

Okay here goes!

Name: Celeste Leclair

Species: Gothitelle

Personality: Passionate in her support of her faction but otherwise somewhat lacking in emotion. Self-righteous and has a pragmatic mind. Kind to those under her command but is ultimately an extremist and will sacrifice them if it will accomplish a goal. Generally a little creepy.

Appearance: Average Gothitelle with one exception - her blue eyes shimmer and dance with light due to excessive amounts of time spent meditating in the Astral Plane. Wears a light armor chest plate and leg guards, silver in color and adorned with mystic symbols. Speaking voice is low- almost sultry- and breathy, akin to flowing water or rustling leaves.

Faction: Empiricals

Primal Desolation: No

Backstory: The fanatical daughter of an equally fanatical family, Celeste was subjected to propaganda and indoctrination from a young age and took to it with enthusiasm. At age 14 she discovered that she could read the stars to predict minor events, and has been honing that ability ever since. Celeste joined the military feeling it was the best way to put her talents to practical use for the Republic. Her family is proud and supports her, but is also concerned by her obsessive mysticism. Celeste is aware of her tenuous position strength-wise due to her inability to Mega Evolve, and over two decades has worked to carve out a niche for herself in the Nalin military by focusing on strategies that require finesse over brute force as well as attempting to develop techniques to combat or neutralize Mega Evolution. Celeste firmly believes the Republic is at its height and attributes any view to the contrary to "poor education."

Name - Astal

Gender - Male

Pokemon Species - Hydreigon

Age - 25

Personality - Straightforward, simple, and loud sum up his personality. He's not one for subtleties and enjoys simple things in life. He's not stupid, he just finds most intellectual activities and discussions to be quite boring. Almost incapable of lies or deceit, and considers any promise he makes to be essentially law - though he often avoids obligations because of this. He can be somewhat prideful in his raw physical talent.

Appearance - Notably large, and with unusually well-developed wings and legs. When in battle or on duty, wears heavy armor on his heads and underside, with the upper portion being much lighter in comparison.

Occupation - Flight Officer, mostly dealing with aerial bombardment and direct-fire support of ground forces. (Think of him as a sentient A10 Warthog.)

Faction - Nostring

Primal Desolation? - I don't think a Hydreigon is capable, so no.

Backstory - (Thoughts on the Republic, their "faction", and maybe how they got to their occupation.) Astal has always been what he is: big, a bit rowdy, and straightforward. Even from a fairly young age, he was very patriotic, and his general temperament led him to a military career. His superiors recognized him as fairly unfit for any sort of high command, but his raw strength made him a valuable asset to the services. He never had much patience for politics and only puts up with military service because he gets paid to do what he enjoys; protecting his home and exerting the full extent of his power. This is in part why he supports the Nostring faction; why bother interfering with people's lives? It seems so much simpler to focus on the basics. However his views might conflict with orders, however, he still carries them out; after all, he still wants to serve the country.

Hehe. More of these military types. At least there's a little variety to them (for the most part). Astal and Celeste are clear for takeoff, although I'm not gonna accept any new characters in the military after this, because we need more than just soldiers.

If I can get one or two more people to sign up for this, I'll make the IC.

Also I'm gonna add the sheets and NPCs tabs in the next few days as I make new NPCs. I'll be throwing in my own PC as well, so heads up guys.

Heh. it seems that i'm perfect for that, seeing as i was not planning on playing as an Empirical.

Just lemme get my Char made...

Edited by K_H

I've decided that i'll also go with a variation of one of my Battlegrounds Characters. Sorry that i'm a bit late.

Name: Jason

Species: Lucario

Personality: A gentler fellow, Jason is generally kind-natured and humorous, although he can be serious at times. if you don't get him angry, he's friendly and laid-back in most cases, some exceptions being people who he's gotten in conflicts with before. If he's been provoked by someone, then he's a lot more closed-off towards that person.

Appearance: He's of normal coloration, but with differences in that his eyes are a Steely Blue instead of the normal Red. He also wears Gauntlets made of Copper, and his Lucarionite and Key Stone are set in the Gauntlets. When on a mission, he usually wears the full set of Copper Armor that the Gauntlets are a part of, which consists of Greaves, a "Sallet-style" Helmet (which does have ear holes as well as four holes in the back), a front-and-back Cuirass, and the aforementioned Gauntlets.

Faction: Nostring

Primal Desolation: yup.

Backstory: Jason's always been somewhat of a free spirit, so he easily sympathises with the Nostring Faction, whose motivation is similar to his own: live and let live. However, he isn't very good with the Chain of Command found in the Military, much like the rest of his family, so he's more of an "Independent Agent" than anything, which lent itself quite well to his family's occupation of being Bounty Hunters.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally kicked my ass around the block enough to finally get down to writing this.

Name - Ariel Ringo

Gender - Female

Pokémon Species - Gardevoir

Age - 31

Personality - Self respective and respective to others with greater degrees of skill, experience, or age. Receptive toward her fellow Senators and other superiors. Very loyal to her peers and friends. Willing to die for them if needed.

Occupation - Senator

Faction - Nostrings

Primal Desolation? - Yes, and is also Enlightened.

Backstory - Unsure of her childhood and mostly of her own origins, Ariel only lived to serve others and herself and better her own race. Driven by a will to serve, she was tricked and exposed to a tainted Mega Stone from a very young age and learned to not only cope, but also fight the demons of the Primal Desolation. She is considered in the history of Nalin to be in the handful of the youngest to master Enlightenment, and hence won a seat in the Senate from her accolade, empowered by her presiding over the demons.

Well I tweaked the OC a little. Expect Chapter 1 up some time soon.

Ok Author I fixed your prob with Mark. Also for future reference on my end, I'm gonna be posting the character's POV I am writing from. Currently I am doing Ariel and Rhombus. I may include more minor NPCs a little later on, and if anyone wants to help me write some of these NPCs, it will take a burden off my shoulders and I would very much appreciate it. However it's only when we get there.